Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ive just bought a mk5 1.6 fsi, I would like to know what i could do to get more power apart from suggestions like buying a gti??

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
it will cost you a bomb easy, plus you'll have to rebuild the engine internals depending on what power you want to achieve

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
get a full stainless exhuast system, perhaps manifold aswell, some form of induction upgrade(panel filter or induction kit) and maybe a remap but you wont see gain from a remap like on a turbocharged car though

·
Registered
299 Posts
I spent a while looking to upgrade my mk4 1.6 golf, after doing my research and finding what was available I had a shopping list for over 2000 pounds for a power gain of barely 20hp. So I saved the cash and bought my Jetta with it, much better than trying to get blood out of stone! You can improve the handling though. Lots of suspension stuff you can buy.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm probably wrong here, but if the turbo has been designed for a larger cc engine then surely a 1.6 wouldn't give enough exhaust gases to build up any boost compression. If anything a supercharger would be more feasible. Maybe look into a mini cooper S supercharger? Could work.

·
Registered
958 Posts
problem is i cant get insured on a gti or anything for ages insurance is high enough on a 1.6
so your saying you cant get a gti because of insurance reasons, thats fair enough, so what happens after you tell the insurance company you have put a turbo on your current car? dont you think your insurance is going to up a bit? back to square one ........

·
Registered
171 Posts
i understand the insurance costs on a GTI but what about a 1.9 or 2lt TDI, ive had my 1.9 remapped to 140 and tbh it goes really well and the remap was £250 bargin in my eyes

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i was hoping to get away with a bolt on turbo or supercharger that i could remove if needed and not tell insurance, but if i did notify them im sure it wouldnt go up to gti prices, the only reason i didnt get a diesel is because i planned to put an sports exhaust on, diesels are good just not for me yet

1 - 20 of 28 Posts