Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys will know I am sure.

I have a Bora SE 110 TDi, and drove a Bora Sport TDi 130 the other week. I was very impressed with the increase in power considering it was only an extra 20BHP. I did a bit of a search about the web and found tuning boxes that would give around 30BHP more for about ?3-400.

Are these any good? Do they really work?

·
Registered
796 Posts
welcome to the site mate

most tuning boxes work by fooling the car into thinking the engine is cold - this results in the ecu sticking in more fuel - more fuel = more go. the consensus is a remap will give you better power gains for around 4 or 500 squids

my 2p

fyi, go to the toolbar at the top of the page and use the "forum search" facility and look for keywords like remap or tuning box etc etc and you will find plenty more knowledgeable info than I can spout! [:)]

·
Registered
643 Posts
But was the 130 Bora a PD (I expect so) whereas your 110 isn't a PD....

The PD diesel engine in the 130 has about 310Nm of torque whereas yours probably has around 225Nm being a non PD engine. My Passat is a 110 non-PD and I have a MKV Golf (only 100bhp) but it has the PD engine. The Golf has much more torque than the Passat. The Passat has a tuning box fitted along with a Merc MAF (have a look through the forum) and it does make a difference, but if you want the cleanest delivery of extra power, go for a remap as hornetrider says. [:D]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get REVO software for it, it's an awesome jump in power for the money. The new PDs benefit loads from it, expecially torque wise, you'll love it [^]

Check out www.tigerstyle.co.uk/jbs/revo.htm for more info...

Mike

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My engine is a non PD unit. Is the 'Revo' the best thing for someone who wants the extra power, but does not want to get involved in serious tuning? FOrgive the following noob questions, but I have never done this type of thing before.

1. Acording to that weblink, all I would pay is ?399 + vat and that would allow me to retune the engine to give more power?

2. That if I was putting the car in for a service, I can plug the unit back in, and reset it back to factory defaults so the dealer cant have a go at me?

3. THe unit plugs in using the same port that the VAG COM software that I have uses?

4. Are they as good as you guys make out?? lol, Anyone used it on the 110 non PD engine?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Dan

1) The TDi110 uprade is ?399+vat and gives the car 130 bhp and 210lb ft of torque

2) If you buy the SPS1 switch, you can switch the car back to standard performance

3) The switch plugs into the OBDII port whivh is the same one you use for VagCom

4) Are they as good? I'm biased, but the difference is worth the price, that's why I became a dealer.

What age is your car? There are a number of early Tdis which have an ecu chip which can't be flashed, if your car is 2000 or younger you should be fine.

Mike

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My car is a 2000

So with the standard unit I can only go up to increased performance, I cant switch it back at all?? I would have it set to performance mode all the time, except when servicing, or if it got pranged! lol. So I would keep the dongle for want of a better description in the car. Have I got the wrong end of stick?

·
Registered
11 Posts
You would need the SPS1 switch as Mike-P says to revert to factory settings but i can assure you you'd never want to switch back. As far as i know, the prescense of the software isn't detectable by a dealer unless they're specifically looking for it!! I can't speak for your particular engine from experience but having REVO is the easiest, quickest and best value for money modification you can do.

It's a 10 minute job done from inside the car unless the ECU needs to be removed to be flashed (this is a rare case) but this only takes another few minutes if it is necessary. You WILL feel the difference and you'l keep your economy, grrrr diesels :p

MIKE

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if I went ahead and got one, do I just order it and get parts to fit myself? Or do I have to take the car somewhere to have it fitted? And what would be the procedure for reverting it back to factory if I had the SPS1 switch? If I install it myself, does anyone have operating/install instructions for the Revo with the SPS1 module?

FOrgive the questions, I just want to be clear on what I would do etc.

EDIT : And is it posible to get the revo first then add the SPS1 switch later?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Dan

The remap needs to be installed by a Revo dealer, whih takes about 20 minutes, unless the ecu has to be bench flashed, which makes it about an hour. The SPS1 switch changes between performance and standard in about 10 seconds when plugged into the OBDII port.

I'm about 45 mins south of you on the A140 if you want me to show you the difference between a standard and Revo car, I've got a PD150 which I use for demos.

Lots of people buy the SPS1 switch some time after having the remap done. As your car is out of warranty I can't really see why you would want the switch. But if you want to spend another ?149 + vat, that's your call.

Mike

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THanks Mike-P, thats cleared it up somewhat, and the offer of a run out to demonstrate is appreciated and it would be good if I could have a demo of it. Perhaps we can arrange a mutually convienient time.

I assume, as you are a dealer, you can do all this?

Is it just a standard remap for the car, or is it individually tailored?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a 110 non pd, had a custom remap at jabbasport very happy with the results cost ?425 with vat but you can't switch back to standard but why would you want too mate? if the car is out of warranty might aswell save your self some money. Imo a good remap should gain you about 35-40 bhp.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Can't fault the REVO map on my car. Would recommend it to anyone. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the improvement [:)]

Revotechnik website - www.revotechnik.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
Throw in a ?60 tuning box. Power can be altered between 20-30%. With a Panel filter change, this means you will be getting at least 135bhp.

For value for money, this has to be the best. I will agree that it is not as smooth as the remap, but then again, ?60 versus ?400+.

I have just inserted a tuning box two weeks ago on the 110, and i cannot complain. i have left it on the standard 20% increase it came with, and it still pulls like a train up to the red line.

My 2p[:D]

JD

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by hornetrider on 10/12/2004 11:11:59

...most tuning boxes work by fooling the car into thinking the engine is cold - this results in the ecu sticking in more fuel - more fuel = more go. the consensus is a remap will give you better power gains for around 4 or 500 squids

I disagree - Unfortunately this is the problem the good tuning box manufacturers are fighting against.

You'll see many boxes for sale on eBay and by reputable companies.

There are 2 types of tuning box:

1. The type mentioned by Hornetrider that only fool the engine into adding more fuel (these usually retail below ?250 - for components which cost no more than ?20)

2. The type which function as an 'off-board' chip. Companies such as DMS and Bromleys supply tuning boxes which contain another circuit board which when connected to the engine management loom change the signals going to fuelling in exactly the same way as a re-map or chip. (These retail at over ?300 and can cost more than a re-map).

Some Tuning boxes can be mapped on the rollers in the same way as a chip/re-map.

There are many benefits to both methods, I am not advocating either, I am simply saying before you make a change which could affect insurance/warranty etc make sure you're fully informed.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hey thanks Ricard W thats really useful info [:)]

I'd always wondered why some tuning boxes were like 4 or 500 quid - I thought some companies were taking the wee wee as I thought they were just selling on a tenners worth of resistors in a box!! Learn something new every day [^]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
No Probs! Hope I didn't appear too intense!!

When I was looking for something to improve the Merc I did a fair amopunt of research. Many of the cheap ones give a bad reputation to the better ones. The Alpin box (supplied by DMS) I had actually had improved throttle response maps (DBW) that gave a more 'instant' feel to the engine as well as the tuning maps.

Obviously it's personal choice what people buy, I bought the Alpin one which when I get round to it will also fit the BMW (just needs a software upgrade) thus only paying once!

I was that impressed by the Alpin box I'd quite happily have another - anyone got a 115PD box for sale....?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thakns Richard W, very informative! :)

I know a Revo would be the ideal choice, but what about something that is not as expensive, but would give an increase of performace?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Have a look here mate - lots of people on the forum have the Upsolute chip and rave about the performance.

www.ccctech.co.uk

Price is in the region of ?300 all in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Upsolute schmutzaluute.

Over priced box of resistors.

I fited for Euro 25.00 a PD box, and got exactly the same result...

my 130bhp tdi before the box was actually delivering 128 bhp after 2 mnutes withthe chip, bhp156 and for a measley 0.8% loss in fuel economy.

rave all you want. spend all you want, but the result is, eanything you do to the car costs you one way or the other, so keep it simple.... and of course if anything goes worng, much easier to remove the chip, and roll the car into your dealership for repair, without them knowing squat diddly...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts