Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont think that this has been covered in the forum as everyone seems to be tuning bigger engines. Im stuck with mine so what is the best way to get more power from a 1.4 mk4 golf (75bhp) and what kind of increase and cost am i looking at.

Any help is much appreciated.

Dan

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
In my opinion tuning a 1.4 just isn't an option, just leave it until you've got a tuneable lump under the bonnet!! [Y]

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replys, but there must be something that i can do to increase power. Bearing in mind that im 18 and havent driven many fast cars, so even a 20-25 bhp increase would seem huge to me (if this is possible). I wont be upgrading anytime soon.

Dan

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
To get that kind of gain (20+ bhp) you're looking at extensive head flow work, maybe cams or even a small capacity bolt on turbo - all of which is going to set you back quite a bit.

Save the money and just get a decent CAI kit and Milltek - that should free up some power through better engine breathing and give you a bit more response. It won't be a huge increase but its the best bang for your buck you'll see with the 1.4 [Y]

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Tabs that was very helpful, i am already booked in for a custom cat-back stainless steel exhaust on the 9th of november, hopefully this will make a slight difference. What kind of gains would i be looking at with a remap?

Dan

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
We have REVO'ed a SEAT Leon 1.4 recently with surprisingly good results. I didn't expect much but much sharper throttle response and nippier in all the gears. Obviously nothing like as impressive as with a turbo car but worth ?219+vat I reckon. Approx 8bhp gain but throughout the rev range increase makes it seem better than it reads on paper? Other hardware changes will increase it further.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
We have REVO'ed a SEAT Leon 1.4
recently with surprisingly good results. I didn't expect much but much
sharper throttle response and nippier in all the gears. Obviously
nothing like as impressive as with a turbo car but worth ?219+vat I
reckon. Approx 8bhp gain but throughout the rev range increase makes it
seem better than it reads on paper? Other hardware changes will
increase it further.
I recently spoke to REVO Technik and they said they did not offer
anything for the 1.4 but were looking into it... do you know if this is
openly available now or did you have it just for testing?

There is also a Custom Code for the 1.4, I think they're looking at around a 10hp increase for ?300.

Or you could try NOS [;)]

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
10bhp for 300quid i can live with, im guessing by your name Cat that you have a 1.4 as well (damn im smart):D I dont think im willing to go as far as N2O. But the remap idea is definately an option.

Dan

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
You may well need stronger (forged) pistons, rods and internal bearings and all sorts of other stuff if you play with NOS, I think Cat was joking... I hope [:S][:D]

Aim to get the most of what you have, eliminating every possible cause of performance degradation. Fit lighter wheels, maintain your engine, use performance spark plugs (Bosch Super 4), run Optimax or BP Ultimate, go for a performance air filter, do lots of driving and learn how to extract the best performance. You can go to more extremes like stripping stuff out and/or replacing with lightweight components (Braille lightweight battery, run washer fluid low, only fill petrol half tank at a time, carbon fibre bonnet if you can score one cheap off eBay, remove spare wheel and emergency tools unless you know you're doing long distance, remove rear seats if you don't carry passengers, remove parcel shelf, keep boot empty)

The last 1.4 I saw has an air intake duct leading to an open bracket screwed behind the intake in the grille. Close off the back of that bracket so it rams air into the pipe for increased charge velocity. You could even install a powerful electric fan to help.

I'm pretty sure the 1.4 is detuned, as the 1.6 has another 30 bhp for only 0.2 litre more displacement. So a remap is probably not a bad idea.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Thanks for all the replys, but there must be something that i can do to increase power. Bearing in mind that im 18 and havent driven many fast cars
In that case I would focus on racking up loads of experience behind the wheel - a good driver will get better performance out of a 1.4 than a lousy driver from a 1.6. I wonder how many people on the road with really flash cars are actually good drivers, as opposed to merely showing off their wealth?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
The last 1.4 I saw has an air intake duct leading to an open bracket screwed behind the intake in the grille. Close off the back of that bracket so it rams air into the pipe for increased charge velocity. You could even install a powerful electric fan to help.
Please tell me you are taking the micheal [:D] Have you seen those DIY turbo kits on ebay looooool!

It's been proven that for a ram air intake to work and deliver the gains necessary a vehicle would need to be doig at least 70+. Even then its not going to shift much more air than compared to lower speeds.

Best bet is enable the engines ability to intake more cool/dense air. Best place to start would be the ducting up the stock airbox. But from the memory the airbox on the 1.4 is different to those fitted to larger capacity engines?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Please tell me you are taking the micheal [:D] Have you seen those DIY turbo kits on ebay looooool!

It's been proven that for a ram air intake to work and deliver the gains necessary a vehicle would need to be doig at least 70+. Even then its not going to shift much more air than compared to lower speeds.
Just trying to be helpful! I'll get my coat [:D]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

I'm also about to start "tuning" my 1.4 because I have finished my styling mods. It appears too expensive to convert a (preferred) 1.9 TDi engine into my car or buy a TDi and convert my styling parts over. Therefore I've been desperately researching tuning parts. As far as I have found and now on my shopping list are, a cold air intake (K&N typhoon or Pipercorss Viper) and an Ikon sports cat. I already have a replacement Pipercross filter, a full Piper exhaust system and an Ecotek CB-26P valve but the car now idles at a higher rev...I think a custom code phase 2 remap to release any power gains properly will finalise this. It will cost around £1000 and wont be anywhere like a preferred TDi 130 but it is still cheaper than a £3000+ conversion or £5000 car. Out of interest I'll get a RR print after to see if any gains were made but I'd hope for 15-20bhp.

Hope this helped on some ideas, let me know how you get on

Chris

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi,

I'm also about to start "tuning" my 1.4 because I have finished my styling mods. It appears too expensive to convert a (preferred) 1.9 TDi engine into my car or buy a TDi and convert my styling parts over. Therefore I've been desperately researching tuning parts. As far as I have found and now on my shopping list are, a cold air intake (K&N typhoon or Pipercorss Viper) and an Ikon sports cat. I already have a replacement Pipercross filter, a full Piper exhaust system and an Ecotek CB-26P valve but the car now idles at a higher rev...I think a custom code phase 2 remap to release any power gains properly will finalise this. It will cost around £1000 and wont be anywhere like a preferred TDi 130 but it is still cheaper than a £3000+ conversion or £5000 car. Out of interest I'll get a RR print after to see if any gains were made but I'd hope for 15-20bhp.

Chris
Your best bet is to make the car lighter! Get yoour power to weight ratio down!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Hi,

Chris
ive done the same thing got my 1.6 8v done lots of styling mods and it would be a waste to sell it on to get a 1.8t or a tdi i have looked into engine conversions, i could afford it but no one will insure me with a engine transplant, so im looking into getting a remap i already have a K&N 57i kit and a full decat blueflame exhaust system.

next will be a stainless steel manifold and a remap who should i go to for the best bhp increase? anyone know?

would replaceing my K&N 57i induction kit for a K&N typhoon kit make any difference?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
No offence, but I fail to see the point of throwing thousands of pounds into a 75bhp engine in a vain attempt to get 25bhp. You will probably still be talking sub 100bhp anyway with map/induction/exhaust/milltek/sportscat etc.

Is it worth it? It wont be worth a wank more when you come to sell it, and if we are honest no amount of work is going to produce a wow factor even remotely similar to mapping a 1.8T...not on a 1.4.

As for the need for speed, you are 18 chap, there is no rush to have the fastest car in the land. You have alot to learn about drving still. Get the important things out the way first, like a clean sheet and a few years NCD. You'll be amazed how reasonable you insurance gets after a few years if you keep your nose clean, and before you know it you will be looking for a new car; something with 'some balls'

There is a reason why insurers are not keen on young drivers jumping into 150bhp+ cars too soon...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts