Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm always saying NOT to buy mobiles on e-bay because so many people get their fingers burnt this way,but does anyone know of any genuine and trustworthy sellers on e-bay who always deliver exactly what they promise?

My Samsung Omnia 2 got shut in a car door by an idiot customer of mine (he slammed the door on it several times to make sure it was PROPERLY smashed[hunter]),so my insurance company have agreed to pay out but only for the cheapest price on the one remaining new Omnia 2 in the country.I'd like to upgrade to a Galaxy S but the cheapest from proper retailers is about £150 more than they're paying me,so I've been looking on e-bay and the reasons for sale seem genuine enough,but are they really?

Chris.

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
Why not find one you can collect? Then you can test it etc when you pick it up.

Peter

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[facepalm] Thanks Peter,lucky there's people like you on here that can put their brains into a slightly higher gear than I can[:$].

Chris.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
i have quite a lot of 'dealings' on ebay at the moment...

imho generally ebay is a buyers market and the protection they are provided through ebay/paypal is often unfair toward the seller....

whatever you buy on ebay is covered through paypal should the description not be accurate. i wouldnt worry about buying anything on ebay, as long as you pay trough paypal you will always get your money back.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
chris i can honestly say that the galaxy s is amazing.

the girfriend got it for her birthday in september and i upgraded in october and i got the HTC Mozart but her phone is a million times better than mine.

the only downside it the fact it has no flash.

danny

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
still wouldnt buy a used phone unless it was family/friend

the go and check it works is still no good as the phone can take up to 6 weeks to lock,

me and my dad went to pick up a nokia arte told him not to but he wouldnt listen, worked fine, was brand new, and then 4 weeks later it stopped working

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whatever you buy on ebay is covered through paypal should the description not be accurate. i wouldnt worry about buying anything on ebay, as long as you pay trough paypal you will always get your money back.
That's a fair comment,but I'd still prefer to see it in the flesh and pay cash for it and I'd only go for a new and unused one.

chris i can honestly say that the galaxy s is amazing.

the girfriend got it for her birthday in september and i upgraded in october and i got the HTC Mozart but her phone is a million times better than mine.

the only downside it the fact it has no flash.

danny
Thanks,I know about the lack of flash and the HD video isn't really all that HD but apart from that the super AMOLED display is without doubt the eigth wonder of the modern world.

still wouldnt buy a used phone unless it was family/friend the go and check it works is still no good as the phone can take up to 6 weeks to lock, me and my dad went to pick up a nokia arte told him not to but he wouldnt listen, worked fine, was brand new, and then 4 weeks later it stopped working
I've always taken this attitude as well and would rather pay the extra for the peace of mind of buying an expensive piece of consumer electronics from a reputable high street retailer.But I'm half way through my contract and can't justify paying £200 over high street prices (in MY high street anyway).
I'm not familiar with this locking a long time later thing,is this just if it's been unlocked to work on any network?

Chris.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
they can block the phone, some can be unlocked others not, the arte needed a new chip :( iphones get blocked too just dont think its worth the risk,

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they can block the phone, some can be unlocked others not, the arte needed a new chip :( iphones get blocked too just dont think its worth the risk,
Even if it's still locked to one network and you're on the same one,in this case Orange?

Chris.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
yep,

if its a stolen phone they will block it due to it being part of an insurance claim. they can always fall off the back of a wagon,

when we looked into the one my dad bought, the box had a different iemi number to the phone !!!

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Alot of scoundrels sell the phone on ebay which will be a perfectly legal phone that they own purchased off a network.

Then feedback is recieved and the paypal claim period passes. This is where the fun starts they then phone their telco and report it as lost or stolen the phones IMEI is now barred on all networks for life and your beautiful phone stops working and thats the end of that.

They have doubled their money and have a free phone and pardon the pun all you have is a phone worthy of smashing in a car door [:p]

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Any idea what phone your wanting? And what network you want it on? I have an HTC desire that I am thinking of getting shot of on T-Mobile (its the network I want shot of really). Looking on ebay they appear to be going for around £250.

T-mobile want £230 to buy out the remaining contract, so I would let it go for that, just to get me out so I can move to O2 (where I'll likely end up with another Desire if I'm honest, its a great phone), but at least I'll get reception in the house. If you don't want it on T-mobile, they are usually about £15 to unlock.

Its an option. I would prefer not to go through ebay if I'm honest, too many scammers on there, I have been burned a couple times on selling stuff, so a mutually safe, easy transaction sounds good.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
The last time i bought a new phone from somebody of ebay i asked does it include the original receipt from where they bought or upgraded it from. They replied yes the same question should be asked if your buying a used phone for peace of mind of the seller not being able to report it as stolen etc. Too many scammers on there now[N].

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yep,

if its a stolen phone they will block it due to it being part of an insurance claim. they can always fall off the back of a wagon,

when we looked into the one my dad bought, the box had a different iemi number to the phone !!!
But as long as I check that every number on every bit of paper matches and it's locked to my network (Orange) and it works with my SIM card and all the packaging is intact then how can I go wrong?

Alot of scoundrels sell the phone on ebay which will be a perfectly legal phone that they own purchased off a network.

Then feedback is recieved and the paypal claim period passes. This is where the fun starts they then phone their telco and report it as lost or stolen the phones IMEI is now barred on all networks for life and your beautiful phone stops working and thats the end of that.

They have doubled their money and have a free phone and pardon the pun all you have is a phone worthy of smashing in a car door
How about if I contact Orange as soon as I buy it and explain the situation AND I have the original purchase reciept?

Why did they slam it repeatedly in the door!?
Because he was brain dead idiot with less common sense than a sponge[hunter].

Any idea what phone your wanting? And what network you want it on? I have an HTC desire that I am thinking of getting shot of on T-Mobile (its the network I want shot of really). Looking on ebay they appear to be going for around £250.

T-mobile want £230 to buy out the remaining contract, so I would let it go for that, just to get me out so I can move to O2 (where I'll likely end up with another Desire if I'm honest, its a great phone), but at least I'll get reception in the house. If you don't want it on T-mobile, they are usually about £15 to unlock.
It's only going to be a Samsung Galaxy S,but thanks for the offer[Y].

The last time i bought a new phone from somebody of ebay i asked does it include the original receipt from where they bought or upgraded it from. They replied yes the same question should be asked if your buying a used phone for peace of mind of the seller not being able to report it as stolen etc. Too many scammers on there now
Thank you,I'll keep that in mind.

Chris.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts

They have doubled their money and have a free phone and pardon the pun all you have is a phone worthy of smashing in a car door

How about if I contact Orange as soon as I buy it and explain the situation AND I have the original purchase reciept?

I very much doubt they will be interested....Have you ever spoken to any of the call centre robots? In one ear and out the other? Worth a try I guess if you original bill of sale.

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Managed to get one for £350 from a proper shop,brand new and unlocked with full warranty[<:eek:)].Not a bad price considering some sellers are asking that for second hand ones [lol-lol].

Chris.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
not a bad price the girlfriend payed £280 for hers but comes with the chance of it being reported stolen. new from shop is the best bet to be honest.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts