Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the right hand button is broken on the instrument panel, I'm trying to use VCDS to reset it, but I'm really struggling resetting the 'SERVICE NOW' message in the instrument panel. Here's what I'm doing:

Options>save port>Select>Intruments 17>channel 10 & Read

I then get the window saying I need the full version. I've tried VCDS & VAGCOM 409.1 & don't seem to be getting anywhere. I'm using the instructions from the rosstech site. I have VCDS 1.1 & the RT site says there's a simple SRI function on the latest version (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vw_sri.html).

Help would be great as this beep & message is driving her mad.

Thanks & regards,

Chris.[:cool:]

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
reset service indicator golf Mk IV

If it's a MKIV Golf.

• Turn on ignition.

• Hold down Right trip button and continue to do so whilst turning off ignition.

• Still with Right trip button held down turn ignition back on.

• Release Right trip button.

• With ignition still on turn Left trip button to the Right and release.

• Turn off ignition.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
You say you have VCDS 1.1? The latest version is 10.6. Was that a typo.

There's a simple "Reset service indicator" button on mine.

Edit: Chris, he said the right hand button on the dash is broken.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You say you have VCDS 1.1? The latest version is 10.6. Was that a typo.
If I click 'About' it shows version 1.1 at the top. I do see there's another version 10.6, but being new to this I wasn't sure which I should use. I just downloaded the VCDS one as I'm using an ebay interface, which RT show as a 'dumb' interface.. Should I use 10.6 with my ebay lead?

Regards..

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
If you have an aftermarket lead then you're limited to VCDS lite, or the older 4.09 Vag Com software. Neither of which support automated service reset function.

You need a full registered cable/software package from Ross Tech for this. A registered version of the software with an aftermarket lead such as yours doesn't work either, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have an aftermarket lead then you're limited to VCDS lite, or the older 4.09 Vag Com software. Neither of which support automated service reset function.

You need a full registered cable/software package from Ross Tech for this. A registered version of the software with an aftermarket lead such as yours doesn't work either, I'm afraid.
Thanks Rustynuts, so I'm unable to do this the cheap way then[cry]. I'll reinstall v1.1 Lite then.

Thanks for everyone who's helped out with this one[;)].

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks Rustynuts, so I'm unable to do this the cheap way then[cry]. I'll reinstall v1.1 Lite then.

Thanks for everyone who's helped out with this one[;)].

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
There might be a way of resetting the service indicator with the lead and software you have, but unfortunately I don't know if it's possible or how to do it. I've not used the shareware version.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There might be a way of resetting the service indicator with the lead and software you have
I do hope so mate, I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know one way or the other.

Chris.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How broken is the button in your dash, Can't you poke something through the hole assuming it's snapped. Where abouts are you, you maybe able to find someone who can do it for you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How broken is the button in your dash, Can't you poke something through the hole assuming it's snapped. Where abouts are you, you maybe able to find someone who can do it for you.
I've just pulled the black thing off & put it back on, there's a little more springiness there but nothing like the left hand one. The trip meter doesn't change display, which is making me think a microswitch on the circuit board has been damaged by a previous heavy handed mechanic.

@aham_uk: That's the method I've been trying using VCDS, but as it's the shareware version with the ebay lead it apparently won't let you access after channel 09.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts