Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all... everyones been involved in one.. for me its about a respect kind of thing to let whoever wants a go to show them that your not to be messed with on the roads.. but in a view its very childish and well.. funny to look upon..

also another question is that all you guys with chipped, IHI turbos.. infact any modded golf turbo... how do you guys apply the power off the line..

reason i ask is cos i drive a AWD car as a daily and so have no problems getting it off the line or launching it... but when it comes to the golf its a different story.. i know its a totally different experience and should be delt with in a different way.. but no matter what its always a case of either spinning to death or having to bog the revs untill a certain speed before power can be applied...to zoom off which by then its too late..

so... the question i ask is... how do you get the best results on a standing start.. any tips?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
you have to be gentle and progressivly release the clutch and build up to speed, slipping the clitch is the key but puts clutch inder pressure and ware if you do it allot. it isnt easy to get a great start every time, i get too much spinning but once in 2nd gear it pulls and i can floor it, may spin a little but no worries.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Maybe it is a bit childish, but dammit it's fun!!!

I find with my car i do get a lot of wheel spin, but now that i'm used to the car it's a case of getting the right balance. I don't even bother in the wet, far too much wheel spin!!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I don't get wheelspin she just tramps like a kangaroo on a pogo stick!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
yes! if i boot it to hard in 1st it spins but get loads of hopping its unreal. getting the dog bone bush on friday allong with loads fo other mods so all should be good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like to go Chav hunting.......Find the biggest heap o SH**E thats loaded with fiberglass and regulaton 10ich exhaust...sorry Zorst!! and show him what a proper car is ....Ahhhhhhhhh fun!!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yes, i also get the kangaroo effect, as well as the spin. It's quite scary and i always think somethings gonna break!
My radio cassette and cd player come out of the dash when mine does it!!! [:D]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I have a friend who is into Yanks...he had a 68 Camaro with a 7.7litre engine..and a 8.2 litre 1948 Ford Anglia...both had parachutes and wheelie bars..the Camaro was slow, it would only run a 9.1 1/4 miles on slicks...the Anglia would run high 8s on slicks...both were street legal and T&T'd.

The fun we used to have away from the traffic lights [:D][:D]..those wheel bars were there for a reason[:D]

·
Registered
918 Posts
My radio cassette and [:D]
your what ???? [:D][:D]
I have the single indash cd player; radio and cassette player; and no cubby hole (giggle). There is nothing wrong with a tape player.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have to admit I was guilty of a bit of chav baiting last night. To be fair he WAS driving a METRO with a 'sports' exhaust on it, and kept trying to boot it away from me from the lights. But a quick dab on the throttle and 240lb/ft of torque saw me reel his tin can back in with not too much fuss and still make 40MPG overall.

Diesels are great sometimes ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the single indash cd player; radio and cassette player; and no cubby hole (giggle). There is nothing wrong with a tape player.
i'm sorry but did you say there is nothing wrong with a tape player,

besides its 70's technology,

sounds awful,

they get chewed,

you cant find the place on the tape u r looking for,

they wear out,

only val doonican is available on c90 now (whoooooooooooooooooooo)

apart from that they're tops mate[:D]

·
Registered
524 Posts
i'm sorry but did you say there is nothing wrong with a tape player,

besides its 70's technology,

sounds awful,

they get chewed,

you cant find the place on the tape u r looking for,

they wear out,

only val doonican is available on c90 now (whoooooooooooooooooooo)

apart from that they're tops mate[:D]
I also have the said radio cassette / cd player combi and find the tape really useful for transmiting the tunes of my i-pod [:)]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh the mighty "boy racer" we get loads of them here, all posing up and down the seafront in their pug 106's and saxo's. it does my head in, they come steaming up behind you as if THEY own the road, but, a quick blip in 2nd and 3rd and they are a distant memory. another good one is, let them think you are out for a sunday drive so they go to overtake then plant your right foot and blow them away!! hehe

P.S. There's nothing wrong with the humble cassette, i grew up recording top of the pops on a sunday night off the wireless (ahem) radio.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Golf4motion,

There is nothing wrong with a tape player. Don't be so gullible in thinking that modern 'advances' in technology are any better. It wasn't that long ago there were 8track tapes, betamax, video discs and minidiscs.

Afterall, it's great having the latest 3G bluetooth mp3 2mil pixel camera phone but when your talking to someone on it and they want to give you a phone number or address you still need a pen!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Going a bit of topic this one, but why do they still put cassette players in cars these days. Have they done market research to prove that people still use them! My one's never seen a single tape!

·
Registered
180 Posts
i'm also guessing that the tape lovers here are still into there Mk1's believing they dont make them like they used to, what a load of cr4p, technological advances mean we can move on and leave the tape playing mk1's in the museum, cars are safer now faster and better built, music reproduction i also faster (to access the correct tracks) better built (cds are destructable but mp3's are not) and whilst in a car safer as with mp3's there are no need to change or even carry 1000 tapes in the boot of your car or glovebox.

But hey this has nothing to do with traffic light grand prix's, so ill leave you to watching your black and white tv, running to work in your 70's golf running on 4star, id rather move on and leave the past there.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I am not tape lover. I have three to my name. I simply don't see the point in rubbishing something just because it's older.

The mk1 golf gti is a fantastic car. One, that in many ways, shames the mk3 and mk4. It's no coincedence that the new gti was advetised as a modern version of the mk1.

Cars have changed significantly in the last 25 years. The performace models haven't got that much quicker though, it is the lower models that have caught up.

I have no issues with modern technology. It's technology for technologies sake that I find stupid but that is a different point.

I know you feel that no one understands you and that you think you invented having sex outdoors but if you don't appreciate history then your doomed to copy its mistakes.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts