Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok done a few bits and bobs, revo remaped, turbo back miltek. K&N, lowered, eibach anti roll bars front and rear and goodyear eagle F1's all round. want to book a few track days soon before i go to the ring in the summer. just need some advice and other peoples experiences on a few things.

need to upgrade the brakes. Want some feed back from people who've been on track with there cars on whats best for a budget. dont want to spend to much but dont want brake fade on the second lap. go bigger or just upgrade the standards?

whats your favorite track?? Been looking on trackdays.co.uk. are these good to book through or are there better/cheaper out there. live in somerset so was thinking castle combe prob any suggestions would be great. cheers

Thanks Ben

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
In terms of brakes - some uprated pads would help, and certainly fresh brake fluid. If you don't have them already, if you can stretch to a 312mm conversion, then they should be good for your car in it's current state of tune. I had them on mine when it was Revo'd - felt good for the car then, but when R32 brakes came up, I chose to upgrade again.

In terms of trackdays - I've driven at Silverstone and Thruxton (on experience days), and in my car my first trackday was at Bedford Autodrome. A bit of drive from you, but it has loads of run-off, and doesn't feel like a crowded track (if you're on the GT circuit).

I think Castle Coombe could be good, I don't know a lot about it, but I know it is quite high speed with some double apex corners that can catch people out. If there's the opportuniy - pay the etxra for a tuition session - helped me on both track days I've done, just to really learn lines and how your car can react.

I went to Cadwell Park late last year - always wanted to try it as it is dubbed the mini-Nurburgring - camber, a good mix of low speed and high speed corners, & gradient. I would suggest it before going to the Nurburgring, just so you are fully comfortable with your car.

There's loads of companies out there that seem to do track days - I've used Club MSV and Javelin - both professional and well priced.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
In terms of brakes, it's all about managing the heat in them for track use - either by using something that can cope with higher temperatures better (e.g. uprated brake pads and fluid) or absrobing / dissipating the heat more effectively (e.g. bigger discs, brake cooling ducts) or a combination of both.

If budget is a factor, the best route is probably to upgrade your pads and change to an uprated brake fluid - my choice would be anything from the Pagid RS Series of brake pads (I'm a big fan of Pagid RS4-2) - they're not especially cheap but they're very good. Ferodo DS2500 pads are very good too and possibly a bit more suited to road use as they don't have quite the same levels of noise and dust associated with them. For fluid, anything with high wet and dry boiling boints really - Motul RBF600 is very good without being ridiculously expensive.

Track-wise I like Oulton Park a lot - it's fast, technical, lots of gradient and I still feel like I'm a long way off getting round it as quickly as I can. We did Combe a couple of times last year and I did like it an awful lot too - not as technical as Oulton although there's a couple of points that might catch you out. Easier to learn than Oulton and was very happy with the pace I was making around it by the end of our second visit. Not much gradient either but it's a very fast circuit once you get in to the swing of things - would be keen to go and do it again this year.

Jon.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great tips thanks vey much think i'll try see how it goes at combe then go from there. I had a dirve of my dads kit car round bedford autodrome afew years ago and yes i can vouch for plenty of run off space after spinning at about 100mph and the only damage was 4 flat spots on his tyres. (it was a quiet drive home) teaches me not to lift off after being commited to a corner at that speed.

from what you said about cadwell and oulton park that good so they have just gone on my list. Ta

As for the brakes think i'll go down the 312mm route and some uprated pads. looking around, and complete set ups are going for about £200. which seems like a good price?

Thanks ben

1 - 4 of 4 Posts