Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on here own a track day car, I am looking to buy one but can't decide on what would be best, I realy want a small 4wd turbo car but they would poss be dear,dont want a prepared one, i want to do the work myself.Have instead been looking at MK2 16v golfs lots around for £300 - £800, so folks what are the running costs? do i need any type of insurance? what do you own, what should i look for.Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Go for an old hot hatch, something like a Mk2 XR2 or 205 Gti, set it up with proper suspension and track tyres and it will be cheaper than a 4wd turbo.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Best not mention my "cheap" trackday car then. The Mk4 is my daily hack!

205's are cheap and fun, handle better than golfs too (allegedly). Likewise, the 106GTI or rallye. Light and chuckable.Even something like a metro GTI is you're strapped for cash.

Word of warning, it's addictive, and you'll soon want something faster.... then you'll wonder where your wages are going.....

·
Registered
890 Posts
Try www.racecarsdirect.com, there's a wide variety of stuff on here, from your cheap hot hatches to ex-works cars, with some (reasonably) cheap offerings, as there was a 54 plate Raw Stryker with the blackbird engine, fully SVA'd on there not to long since for about £6k. Now that would certainly be my idea of a track car and one you could use on the road in the summer!

Good luck with the hunting, and let us know what you go for in the end! [Y]

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Best not mention my "cheap" trackday car then. The Mk4 is my daily hack!

205's are cheap and fun, handle better than golfs too (allegedly). Likewise, the 106GTI or rallye. Light and chuckable.Even something like a metro GTI is you're strapped for cash.

Word of warning, it's addictive, and you'll soon want something faster.... then you'll wonder where your wages are going.....
I wouldn't mind a mk4 but the cash is the main factor, been scouring the classifieds looking for something cheap, the problem is do i go for a car that can be driven there or has to be taken on a trailor.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've got a mk2 16v and I think it's a fantastic trackcar, in fact it may be for sale due to "progressing". You can see details on my website.

As for running costs, well it has an MOT each year and insurance (road only) and tax (obviously). I had budgeted for a set of tyres a year and brake pads, but i've had it for about four years and am still running the same tyres and pads (although they tyres are extremely worn now). Only problems I've had was I destroyed the clutch two years ago and split a radiator hose last time out, other than that it has run faultlessly. Would recommend a Golf Mk2 any time! I picked mine up for £400 with 178k on the clock, it was an MOT failure on brakes but I was intending to replace the entire braking system anyway, which I did.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
306 GTI

handles aswell as the 205 if not better, the 2.0 16v engine is alot more powerfull 170BHP and the handling is a dream. Plus there are lots of them on ebay, and there is demand for the parts you dont use on the secondhand market, you will return good money for the interior and wheels.

Plus parts can be swapped easily IE brembos of a 406 coupe and wheels of newer 207's are 17 inch and common and cheap

Plus its nice to drive on the road.... if you want/have too

Other thing is though if you go for a 205 , you can get it onto classic insurance

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
HONDA CRX MK2!!!

Great car, handles like a dream, very reliable and robust, small and plentiful.

I've had two. Great fun. You could buy an taxed and MOT'd CRX for about a grand, plough £500 into some sticky tyres and suspension upgrades, induction kit etc, strip it out, and have the time of your life.

I've been thinking about another one for a track toy/weekend toy for a while. Buying a house has halted that for the time being, but I do plan to get another one for fun in the future.

I've even talked to friends about a syndicate. Say 3 mates, £500 each, a couple of hundred a year each towards upkeep etc, and you have a track 'pool' car that you can all enjoy on a budget, knowing that if it blows up or gets bent, £500 isnt the end of the world...

I have also seen a video of a CRX VTEC on a track that was giving an Evo 6 a hard time...Little extra money, but not alot!

·
Registered
582 Posts
what about a SEAT Cupra Sport? A quick look on autotrader shows you can pick one up for less than a grand (might not be as quick as the other suggestions, but will be pretty modern with a stronger shell...)

3k will get you in a clio 172.........

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'd buy a Nissan Pulsar GTI-R

Awesome performance and 4x4 turbo so potential to tune the nuts out of it!!!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I'd buy a Nissan Pulsar GTI-R

Awesome performance and 4x4 turbo so potential to tune the nuts out of it!!!
I'm sorry, but these cars, regardless of the fact they go like shit off a shovel, as bags of crap. Just my opinion. Tuned up, they will never last long as a trackday car.

·
Registered
262 Posts
306 GTI

handles aswell as the 205 if not better, the 2.0 16v engine is alot more powerfull 170BHP and the handling is a dream. Plus there are lots of them on ebay, and there is demand for the parts you dont use on the secondhand market, you will return good money for the interior and wheels.

Plus parts can be swapped easily IE brembos of a 406 coupe and wheels of newer 207's are 17 inch and common and cheap

Plus its nice to drive on the road.... if you want/have too

Other thing is though if you go for a 205 , you can get it onto classic insurance
Just so happens I'm selling a 306GTI6. Details: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/86204.htm

Would make a grat trackday car [;)]

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
If you're doing all the work yourself, a good place to start might bve a classic mini! Start off with a decent A-series engine, and you could upgrade to a bike engine or something like a 1.8 VTEC...

They also handle like theyre on rails, and are an absolute hoot to drive! Plus parts are so cheap, and depending how good you are, you can literally do everything yourself!

Or if you're feeling crazy go for a space frame kit and build it yourself, some of theose hit 0-60 in sub 3 seconds....

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
What about a mazda 323 turbo

These are 1.8 16v 4x4 turbos.Always fancied buying one of these as a track car or runabout.170bhp standard.

Can pick em up for about a grand now too.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Another cheap Jap option is the Toyota Starlet Turbo (Glanza) - 1.3 turbo producing over 130bhp and 115lb ft. torque, equating to 60moh in less than 7s, and seen that you can easily achieve 180bhp with them.

They certainly shift, as I was annialated by one a good few months back in my old VTR, i had it away from the lights, but once the turbo spooled up and the driver change gear, he was gone and i bet it'd take a hell of a lot more expensive machinery to keep with it!

[Y]

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good s election there guys, Mazda i hadn't thought off strange as my mate had one as a youngster.The Pulsar i thought of but reliability and insurance ruled it out, Starlet is worth a shout and will have a look at them, tracking 2 mk2 golfs on ebay at the moment.going to check out the mini's too.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
If you haven't already driven a mk2 CRX, try it. Its one of those must drive before you die cars.

I guarantee it will make your shortlist.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A guy in the work has one he's going to give me a shot.am i right in saying the have the vtec ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts