Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What engines were available in Toyota Supra's?

I came up against one tonight, we entered a roundabout then exited with the Supra in front in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway due to slow traffic in the left hand lane.

I was right with him through the gears, at times easing off the accelerator until he moved over when he had past the traffic in the left lane, at this time I was in 5th gear and started to pull past him slowly.

I got a friendly wave and flashing of the indicators which I obviously returned.

Whatever model it was it was quite a stunning car complete with huge single exit exhaust, one of my all time favourite Jap cars.

·
Registered
342 Posts
don't now too much about them but i quess it must have been a Non turbo model ... 3 litre i think

The turbo has around 300 bhp or more

·
Registered
427 Posts
Depends on the year, but the last lot of Supras were all 3 litre twin-turbocharged beasts putting out 326bhp (0-6 is under 5 seconds!) - It's very unlikely that the driver was putting much effort in if you sailed past in 5th! [:D]

·
Registered
342 Posts
don't now too much about them but i quess it must have been a Non turbo model ... 3 litre i think

The turbo has around 300 bhp or more

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He had an import companies details on the rear number plate, N reg I think it was.

I didnt expect to get the better of him but was with him and more right through the gears and he was definatly trying!!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was pretty dark at the time and TBH I didnt fancy taking my eyes off the road when I was passing him!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
If it was a jap spec mkiv (fast and furious style) came in normally aspirated and twin turbo spec. Uk ones are all twin turbo's (326bhp as standard distinguishable by bonnet scoop) Jap spec TT's have a capped 280bhp but in reality is about 300bhp normally aspirated ones are about 220 bhp, but they weigh alot.

The mk3 supras were squarer and had single turbo or na.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are a few.... (I love supras)...

3.0 24v Non turbo is 220-230bhp..

The Twin Turbo (import) came with 280bhp (As said, capped power).

The UK version came with larger brakes, a bonnet scoop on the bonnet, and a nice 324bhp @ 5600rpm (or 6600rpm). 0-60 is a high 5 and rocks onto 160+mph.

Watch the fuel gauge go down like the speedo goes up.. Amazing cars though.. Been in a fiar few, acceleration is lovly. First turbo spools up, pins you back, you think "htis is fun" then the 2nd turbo spools up, and its just great. This is standard as well!!! I've been fortunate enough to have a go in a few of these including a "mildly" tuned one (running around 450-500bhp). It was playing and eating, then spitting out bikes!!!!

Incredible cars!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A NA 3.0 220bhp Supra seems to be about right with the way I more than stayed with him then had enough to pull past him when I had the opportunity.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I dunno, a few older friends (money to burn age... lol), one had the TT (with a towbar for his jetski ha ha, forgot he was towing it, at 110!!!!) and the other had the NA engine. When running, the NA version would loose out, buy not by an incredible margin. I would suspect with 243bhp, you could have quite happily stayed with a standardish TT upto 3 figure numbers.

I've not been in a Golf with more than 150bhp though, but i can imagine your beings a "little nippy" lol..

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have a movie clip of a Supra that does the quarter mile in 9.78 secs @ 154mph. If someone has the space, I can send it to them to post. Awsesome noise too [:D]

·
Registered
722 Posts
A lady friend of mine sold her Carlos Sainz GT4, and bought a UK TT Supra, blinking flip, it went well, I equated it it a well upholstered Motorbike, same kind of urgency. Some noise too!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts