Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
My mates got one, funnily enough he now wants a golf gti!

I think they would be loads of fun if it just had abit more power, never driven one but I assume they handle like a dream

·
Registered
646 Posts
Almost got a new one, before I got the Lotus. Nice car, the VVci(?) engine is good, if a little dead until the extra gizmos kick in. Handled very well, but not like the Lotus, but then it is a more mainstream car [;)]. Seemed to depreciate quite well

Also although I like them, couldnt decide whether the shape was quite right

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
G/f's dad has one, seems to think it's pretty good. Nippy and does what it should. Not massively quick but a nice car anyway.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had one as soon as they came out in April/May 2000. It was the first soft top car that I had and really enjoyed it, but I did put 17" Kahn alloys on it straight away before it even left the dealers as the 15" just looked stupid. It really is a mini Boxster but not as practical, we couldn't easily do the weekly shop at Tescos in it but we did have to at times[:I]

·
Registered
512 Posts
Depends on what your after I suppose, given its competition I would take it hands down, the MX5 and other such girly roadsters I really dislike as their owners think they have a sports car - wrong! At least the VVTi MR2 has RWD - although I do remember reading somewhere that a massive amount were stacked in the first winter after release as women were buying them who had never driven RWD, and although not powerful they were still sticking them into hedges and walls left, right and center! [:D]

Not a fan of Jap motors in general, but I have to say I dont mind the MR2 at all (new shape) Could do with a turbo thrown in for good measure [:D]

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Claires got a new one with the updated 6 speed box, different sized wheels etc and it is great fun. I've used it for work a few times which is a 130 mile round trip without any fun. But totally impractical, cant even fit my laptop bag in the car anywhere if theres 2 of us in it.

The later versions are less likely to exit the road backwards through a hedge but it it is still quite entertaining in the wet...

J.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The MR2 Mark2's are great especially the twin turbos, mid engines rear wheel drive, great looks and handling and performance to match..!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
The MR2 Mark2's are great especially the twin turbos, mid engines rear wheel drive, great looks and handling and performance to match..!

Yes but that's a totally different car.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote: posted by Rossi on 22/12/2003 13:48:23

Mmmm, have to say that whilst they are quick I cant say they have great looks! I always thought the Mk2 was a bit of a shed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
mark2 handle very well, nearly like a ferrari, and thats not a joke!!

dont look too bad, good for the money and sporty 2 seater!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I got trounced by one in my old CavGSI years and years ago, and that was no slouch! (modded) I have heard before that they are pretty good all rounders.

Its just one of those cars I dont like, cant tell you exactly what it is but I just think they look a bit ....errrr.....errrm...naff? Sorry for the poor choice of words but they just dont float my boat - but then again I am sure my old Cav wouldnt do it for MR2 owners [:D]

Different strokes for different folks [;)]

·
Registered
990 Posts
A mate of mine had a GT4, don't think either of them were twin turbo's. Pretty sure only the Supra was twinned 'cos of the V6.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My boss has a 6 month old MR2. Driven it loads of times and it is great fun, goes really well sideways. It is really impractical though, it is his main car as his wife has a Polo, so if he has any big loads he's knackered. Nice drive all the same.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I take it thats the six speed one? They hahve a ctually tamed the handling on the later cars. The first one we test drove was an earlier version and it was bl00dy lively in the wet. I've been using Claires for the last few days for the 130mile round trip to work and it is pretty good fun not so sure I could use it all the time but once in a while it brilliant. Looking forward to the summer to get the top down though [:D]

J.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yeah its an 03 plate with the 6 shifter. Driven it with the roof down and its brilliant, although you do feel a little intimidated at traffic lights etc. until you get used to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts