Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i've seen a few post regarding this, but still need advice.

Obviously looking to fit one. The car is Mk4 1.4 E.

Now the car is on finance at the mo would this cause any problems, would it be better based on this to get it professionally fitted eith by a VW dealer or independant garage or okay doing it myself?

Also having trouble finding a decent kit, not really concerned about it being visible or hidden as long as I can remove it with no perminant change or damage to the car (as above due to it being HP).

cheers all.

·
Registered
751 Posts
First of all, I would question what kind of load you will be towing with your Golf. Most of us are well-versed that 1.4/1.6 litre-engined Golfs have weak gearboxes, so I hope you aren't towing an entire caravan!

Personally, I don't see why fitting a towbar will cause issues with your finance company. However, just phone them up and ask whether you can fit it, just in case.

The third issue is whether to go down the hidden or visible route. If you want to avoid cutting out a section of the rear valance then you need to source a removavble 'swan-neck' style towbar. Virtually all fixed towbars require a little cutting out of the valance to fit. Secondly, you might need to splice into some wiring to get the towbar electrics outlet connected (if you're using a non-OEM towbar). Would you class that as permanent damage, even though a little wire splicing is required?

Try and find an independent garage to fit the towbar for you, as I'm more than certain you will want to walk away once you discover VAG labour rates.

[Y]

·
NooNoo
9,450 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All sorted out can get a perminant one supplied and fitted for £200 plus vat or a hidden one for £300 plus vat.

Seems quite reasonable.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Do it yourself, search on ebay for the bits. I bought a bosal detachable and a plug in wiring kit for about £200. Its dead easy to fit, there are guides on here to remove the rear lights, that's the trickiest bit.

Heres some pics of the fitting and finished stages on my anniversary.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would try and 'have a go' but cost wise theres not much in it between that and getting a professional to do it. Secondly cos its techinally not my car I don't wanna fuck it up and be out of pocket trying to repair it.

£240 odd quid would get the part and a pro to do it for me and that seems the most sensible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts