Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Thinking of getting a Touran for the Missus (2 kids and all that). Thinking about a new 1.9 diesel S.

Anyone got any experience with these?

Cheers! [:)]

·
Registered
223 Posts
My brother-in-law has one and is v happy with his. Personally I can't see the point in spending ?X000 more for an MPV than the car equiv e.g Golf v Touran. [Follows from Top Gear's feature on them - ?2-3k more for lots of head room [:D] ]

If you need more room go for a Passat/Passat Estate or non-VW an Octavia or Superb - shed loads of room and VFM.

However that's my opinion, I think the Touran is the best MPV in its class

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
i would have gone for a Touran, but it was over our budget. Nice cars IMO. I would only opt for the "sport" model though.

I could have just scraped an SE spec TDI, but decided the Passat Estate sport was the better option.

I havent driven one, but have looked around a few. Nice family cars. I'd also recommend the park distance control thingy if you can opt for it, worthwhile for a resonably large car, can save ??? in repair bills.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote: posted by 02 Bora on 05/10/2004 14:19:22

I'd also recommend the park distance control thingy if you can opt for it, worthwhile for a resonably large car, can save ??? in repair bills.

You've seen my wife reversing then?[:D]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Great vehicle but don't expect car-type handling.

Get the sport spec.

I think the TDi's will sell best but may be a little noisy for the un-initiated, compared to the cars with similar lumps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. She has a Picasso at the moment, which whilst it does what it says on the tin, suffers with build quality etc.

I was just interested in your comments as I would have expected an altogether better car all round in the VW.

The missus is not too concerned about handling etc. I was just after something safe, ecomonical and reliable.

I guess it's gotta be German all the way......[:D]

·
Registered
111 Posts
Me and my wife have an 04 reg touran sport tdi and it has the sport supension fitted and it handles really well! The touran sport is a lot nicer inside than the golf as it has real brushed alloy trim and the seats are not as bland as the golf gt! The space inside is the big seller as the boot is huge and you can take out the back seats in seconds to turn it into a mini bus! We bought it new from vw un registered for ?18k and it should of been ?21k with the extras! If you want a well built good handling motor that has 7 seats then you would be well pleased with the touran! We are! By the way my other car is an anni. golf and I enjoy driving the touran as much!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Quote: posted by S1R SS on 05/10/2004 14:35:05

IIRC we have a 'Touran Man' on the forum, I'm sure he will voice his opinions soon . . .

[:D]

I absolutely love it! I have the 1.9 TDi S model in metallic black with winter pack and heat reflective factory tints. I paid ?14.5k and IMO that's a bargain. I am SO pleased with the car and try to find any excuse to drive it (it's the wifes as I have a Company motor).

It doesn't handle too bad TBH, we bought it because we go camping and we used to tow a trailer with all the gear in but in now all fits in the boot of the Touran!

I really can't praise them highly enough and the only thing really is that the engine is a little noisy although it has good soundproofing!

[:D]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Black Touran TDI SPORT, sitting on anthracite 19" RS6 rims , that would make me buy one, & I'm single without kids[^]

·
Registered
264 Posts
There was a docu on R4 a while back that explained the touran is built on a new prod principle in Germany. Basically, it's on the basis that the workers who built the car fix any inspection probs out of their on time before it leaves the factory.

One worker said that initially they were doing 2x overtime in order to fix build probs but after a couple of months they'd got their act together and now rarely need to do overtime. As a result the Touran is (alegedly) the best VW for quality - backed up by local dealers who said it explained why they see lots of warrenty work for the MKV but not for the Touran.

TouranMan - how's yours been ?

·
Registered
692 Posts
We've had it a couple of months and put 4k on it including a trip to Disnetland Paris and so far so good. It is just SO comfortable for long or short runs with plenty of room (we only have 1 kid).

Looking at NETDIs comments about paying a premium for more headroom, we got nearly ?2k discount on the Touran which we wouldn't have got on a Golf but although it's based on a Golf, you have BAGS more room.

I'll hopefully get some pics at the meet this weekend so I'll get them on here.

·
Registered
459 Posts
im looking at selling the golf and getting a touran due to the wife expecting our first little'un,and yes the rims will be the first thing to come off the golf and onto the touran[^]

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've just ordered Touran 140TDI sport,to replace a Bora 150TDI as the Bora has done 90000 miles now, and because of another baby in the family due soon.

After test driving Golf and Touran I felt the Touran was nicer inside,very comfortable(and seemed more solid), and handling probably better than the Bora quite fun to drive.

Lots of passenger space, but limited boot with all 7 seats up.

Performance wise not as fast away from the lights, but plenty of torque for B road overtaking, and motorway manoeuvres.

This car is surprisingly good,for a "van".

·
Registered
692 Posts
Not a van! I used to have a Citroen Berlingo Multispace, now THAT was a van!

The Touran drives as good as any car if not better than most.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Touran Man, you're not wrong there!, I drove it expecting a "van" drive, but was pleasantly surprised at the car style refinement and the way it handles compared to the 7 seat Scenic and Zafira alternatives.

Berlingo is a bit primitive ? had a rental one for a week in France( seemed a very long week).

·
Registered
71 Posts
New Merc A Class gets top review in What Car, if you can live with the smaller boot. Cheaper, actually built more like a Merc this time round and loads of space inside. Had one on holiday (previous version) not all bad apart from the handling and fascia plastics but apparently they've sorted that all out on the new one. Maybe worth a look, just a thought if like you say you're counting the pennies. Not an MPV but depends on your reasons for changing I 'spose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
had mine now 5 months done 8k in it and only thing i can fault it on is if you have the window open even a slight bit when raining i.e when having a smoke then you stand to get soaked, i know it sounds trival but having owned a few cars where this is not a problem it does get on your nerves, but saying that if you dont smoke lol its a top car the 2LTR tdi i have will always top 45mpg even 7 up with luggage, the kids have tried their best to make their mark on it but to no avail, would have no hesitation in recommending it, just waiting for REVO to come up with the goods now....space with pace!!! lol[:D]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts