Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find black foam to stop squeaks in the dashboard was a nightmare. But I found that stripping the plastic off an old mouse mat gives a plentiful amount of black foam just the right thickness to shove in those gaps! Problem solved. [:)]

·
Registered
965 Posts
That has got to be the most annoying thing about the golfs. Mine drove me mad too until I shoved something between it. Now I have the same type of problem but higher up on the dash around the stereo and vent area, god knows what I am gonna do to shut that up!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to have that on my old Bora, do you have the factory fit stereo and CD player. My Bora didn't have a CD player or cup holder, I got hold of both fitted them and the squeaks went away. I don't think the cubby hole and the drinks holder blanking plate fit very well.

·
Registered
965 Posts
No I have my own stereo and a drinks holder, but I have the cubby hole. Its almost between the cubby hole and the steering where the nosie is coming from its really hard to pin point. Its starting to really irritate me. Will have to have a fiddle with it maybe take bits out and put back in???? I am hoping to get Bora vents soon, maybe that will help?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll get enough chance to check things when fitting Bora vents as I think a lot of trim has to come off. That's a nice mod to do though.

Is that a 2.0GTI you have? What have you done to it apart from the wheels?

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
When you say shove the foam in the gaps - can you specify which gaps to shove it in and where - I know - im being thick[!] - I have this same issue - I managed to get some black foam - came out of a parcel so I suppose I can use that on mine.[??]

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote: posted by kjohal on 02/03/2005 12:26:55

When you say shove the foam in the gaps - can you specify which gaps to shove it in and where - I know - im being thick[!] - I have this same issue - I managed to get some black foam - came out of a parcel so I suppose I can use that on mine.[??]

PM me your email and I can send you a pic

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found that a lot of squeaking was coming from inbetween the gear lever surround of the centre console and the upper part housing the stereo/AC etc. There is quite a big gap there if you put the foam inbetween them it gets rid of a lot of noise. Use double side sticky tape if you need to secure the foam. You can trim off any extra foam with a sharp knife.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How about creaks coming from the rear parcel shelf/boot area, like when you go over an uneven surface. Mine lets out a groany creek, can't seem to pin point it?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote: posted by andyboy on 02/03/2005 13:33:05

How about creaks coming from the rear parcel shelf/boot area, like when you go over an uneven surface. Mine lets out a groany creek, can't seem to pin point it?

This could be something to do with the rear seats and the way they sit back against the parcelshelf??

·
Registered
965 Posts
When you say shove the foam in the gaps - can you specify which gaps to shove it in and where - I know - im being thick - I have this same issue - I managed to get some black foam - came out of a parcel so I suppose I can use that on mine.

here is a pic

Posted Image

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi today i bought a new centre console for the car,replaced it because the old one was creaking and it was begining to annoy me,fitted the new one and its fine no creaks!i found that the two screws down the side near the feet on either side were the problem,the plastic bit that they screw into moves quite a bit,so i rolled up a black mouse mat squeezed it underneath so it was more solid,fitted it all back together and wah lah hey presto!!!hope this will help anyone with there creaking problems.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
U can get a roll of black felt (two widths), sticky from the VW parts dept. Mk4s have a known problem where the heater console meets the gear lever console.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
bought some sticky back foam today.

black about 2mm thick and but bigger than A4 size.

only cost 69p per sheet from "hobby craft"

has worked a treat[8D]

·
Registered
920 Posts
Quote: posted by golfman on 05/03/2005 19:08:41

Hi today i bought a new centre console for the car,replaced it because the old one was creaking and it was begining to annoy me,fitted the new one and its fine no creaks!i found that the two screws down the side near the feet on either side were the problem,the plastic bit that they screw into moves quite a bit,so i rolled up a black mouse mat squeezed it underneath so it was more solid,fitted it all back together and wah lah hey presto!!!hope this will help anyone with there creaking problems.

how much was the console if you dont mind me asking[:D]

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm lucky in that my Dad works for a leading company in joint sealant technology. The stuff that generally costs about ?12 a metre is brilliant for putting into places where creaks developed on my Golf as it expands slowly once it is off the reel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts