Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start I don't make a habit of this but this morning had pretty much empty dual carriageway to myself so thought lets see what top speed I can acheive today.

With the fitting of 18s does this affect the top speed as I seem to be flat out at 130mph with revs @ 5600rpm and it wouldn't go any faster??

·
Registered
813 Posts
When I was on the AutoBahn earlier this year......she wouldnt touch 140! Max on speedo ive seen is 136 ish. After few attempts that is. Also ive tried with running Optimax and standard - results have been the same.

·
Registered
90 Posts
on my 'private strip' i got 129 out of my 1.6 8v which i thought was ok, but knowin the 1.8T is onli 10mph faster its put a bigger smile on me face, it'd obv kick my ass in a sprint to that speed tho[:$]

·
Registered
285 Posts
Fastest I have ever had my Upsoluted AGU with a CAI & Cat Back upto is also around 136 ish and then it got onto a fast bend and I lost all confidence as the car just didn't feel settled or planted, which just made me think tha I really need to sort out the handling.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Mmm, so is a bit of a miff that fitting larger wheels will throw the speedo out at the top end??
If you choose your wheels/tyres correctly then they should have the same rolling circumference so shouldnt affect your speedo.

Fitting wider tyres ie 225 in place of 205's could have a bearing on
your top end speed due to extra drag on the road though I would think
its minimal.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Mmm, so is a bit of a miff that fitting larger wheels will throw the speedo out at the top end??
If you choose your wheels/tyres correctly then they should have the same rolling circumference so shouldnt affect your speedo.
Fitting wider tyres ie 225 in place of 205's could have a bearing on your top end speed due to extra drag on the road though I would think its minimal.
seconded..........

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fitting wider tyres ie 225 in place of 205's could have a bearing on your top end speed due to extra drag on the road though I would think its minimal.
Yes they're 225/40/18s...So would that really affect the top end. Also slowing to 90mph and then accelerating would this affect it??

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.