Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Just seen this aswell [Y]

Director of the company I work for has one on a 10 plate as his daily drive! Sooooooo jealous!

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
Anyone been driven or even driver one of these? I remember going in a mk5 r32 and it didnt even feel that fast.

Peter

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Not convinced myself, why would you pay 30K+ when you could have the quickest Golf in the world for that money by buying a base model R32 or something and chucking even as little as 15 grand at it! Could have a 600brake monster for that! It doesnt make sense to me.

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
As above. Makes sense to me. Any anyone who can afford nearly 40k can probably afford 50k so why not get an m3 or m5?

Peter

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Not convinced myself, why would you pay 30K+ when you could have the quickest Golf in the world for that money by buying a base model R32 or something and chucking even as little as 15 grand at it! Could have a 600brake monster for that! It doesnt make sense to me.
I do get your point, but it is kind of like saying why get XXX when you could have an ancient Jap car and only spending £X on it you could have a million bhp.

I think the advantages are that its a newer car (& warranty), rarer, much more reliable than a turbocharged R, better 4WD system, 350bhp+ can be achieved very easily and cheaply, more efficient & economical engine, much better chassis...etc.

I do agree that the 'R' is a lot of money, overpriced perhaps...but it sounds like a very impressive machine, and obviously TG (and im sure many others) will agree [y]

·
Chief Troll
15,990 Posts
Because your getting a brand new car not a 10 year old dog!

The Golf R has huge potential.... stage one alone is 310bhp... and with a few grand spent on it, it will eat an M3/M5 for breakfast!

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Because your getting a brand new car not a 10 year old dog!

The Golf R has huge potential.... stage one alone is 310bhp... and with a few grand spent on it, it will eat an M3/M5 for breakfast!
10 year old dog lol thats a classic.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I would hang on until Vw decide to drop in there 2.5 5pot lump out of the TTRS/RS3 in to a Golf.

That would be IMO the ultimate engine to go into a Golf

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
This is good news, VW must feel proud that their plan for a more economical turbo-nutter-Golf worked as well as it did!

However i can only assume this means we'll see Clarksonious test it!
The man abuses all that he drives and calls it a road test... entertaining to watch though. He just doesn't care if it's someone elses money.

·
Registered
798 Posts
and with a few grand spent on it, it will eat an M3/M5 for breakfast!
It' a nice car but, eat an M3 for breakfast [*-)] with just a 'few' grand spent on it ???? presumably you aren't referring to an E92 or even an E46 for that matter

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
It's not, for me, about which car is 'best'. We should all just be happy that there is a choice, both new and secondhand. I did consider a mkvi GTi, maybe an R, but once I drove a few Mercs and 5 series nothing from VW was in the frame. Glad we still have the ol mkiv though!! Lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts