Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
JC will be funny one way or the other, he will either have to eat his words about Vauxhall or the Gti will remain his best hot hatch

·
Registered
35 Posts
One of the car mags (I forget which) has already claimed the Vauxhall
is the new GTI king. Don't know about other owners, but I
wouldn't swap the GTI for an Ashtray VXR if you paid me. Well, if
you paid me a million quid I probably would, but I'd still buy a GTI
with the money.

·
Registered
740 Posts
One of the car mags (I forget which) has already claimed the Vauxhall
is the new GTI king. Don't know about other owners, but I
wouldn't swap the GTI for an Ashtray VXR if you paid me. Well, if
you paid me a million quid I probably would, but I'd still buy a GTI
with the money.
I think that was AutoCar... although one of the other ones also id a group test and went with the GTI still. (Auto Weekly?)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
He is the Tom Hanks of the television world, people like him because he could quite easily be your uncle. Represents the masses.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just a shame Clarkson's such a prat then isn't it?
Must be a very popular prat then ?

Each to their own opinion but I dont alaways agree with what he says but still enjoy watching his show.

I'd stick with the GTi over the VXR unless I suddenly developed a taste for burberry....

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I dont rate Clarksons opinion of a car. He is not a great driver, and im sure im not alone on that view.

People like Needel and Plato get my thumbs up, not only because they know what they are talking about, but are bloody good drivers to boot.

Clarksons a motor 'journalist' and no more for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm very close to chopping my GTI in for the VXR. It just looks better and has that extra power that the Golf certainly misses to make it fun.

I love my GTI, fantastic everyday car, but it misses the draw to make me just go drive it for the fun of it. Competent, Capable, Reasonably Fast, but a bit Dull

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'm very close to chopping my GTI in for the VXR. It just looks better and has that extra power that the Golf certainly misses to make it fun.

I love my GTI, fantastic everyday car, but it misses the draw to make me just go drive it for the fun of it. Competent, Capable, Reasonably Fast, but a bit Dull
Eh!, you're mental [:p]

Good looking car the Astra is but I don't think I would get rid of my almost new GTI for one.

BTW have you driven it, what's it like?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts

Jonathan
Perhaps you should think about a remap if you are bored already. Get the best of both worlds. If you are going to ditch the GTI at least upgrade, don't downgrade.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Have to agree go for a remap first, for @ ?500 you could see the same BHP as the VXR and still have a great all-rounder with extra smiles - alternatively you could lose say ?3k off your GTi as a trade in buy the VXR (which is a good looking machine IMO) and lose absolutely [email protected] loads on that as well, give it some thought - I may also be a badge snob but couldn't see myself in an Astra no matter how good the reviews are ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I scanned over the GTi is King no longer review, noticed they had a few stats wrong for the GTi for instance it said it had a top speed of 132  mph or so and I am pretty sure it up around 152 mph !

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I scanned over the GTi is King no longer review, noticed they had a few stats wrong for the GTi for instance it said it had a top speed of 132 mph or so and I am pretty sure it up around 152 mph !
It's 147mph in the official stats. Then again the official stats also say 0-62mph in 7.2s and I think a number of reviewers have tested it quicker than that.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
But the whole ethos behind the GTI is not speed! Ok, its very athletic and goes well but it is more than that.

If I wanted speed at that price I would buy a lotus, not a bloody astra.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nudging this thread up to remind us all to watch Top Gear tonight.

Am looking forward to it but no way would I want any other so-called "hot hatch" than the Mk5 GTI DSG. None of its rivals have the drive options of the DSG technology and anyway you can remap etc (revo) if you're not happy with the standard excellent performance. It's not all about stats. The GTI has so much more visual style than the VXR be it fractionally slower or not. Also VXR don't even do a 5-dr do they ?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Just nudging the thread back up. I think the two cars aim at slightly different markets yes they are both quick but the astra seems to be a bit more raw compared to the VW's refined approach. If you could afford it the astra would make a great second car, but you could have the golf and have the best of both worlds. The Astr won't be top for long, the new Focus ST will beat it.[:D]

As for needles being a driver........he's only good at going sideways.,

1 - 20 of 64 Posts