Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i am not a Golf owner but a VAG owner or will be ...

Anyway, whilst on the Audi forum (Audi-Sport), a guy made this thread on TomTom Go and i thought i share it with u guys.

Qoute from MarriedBlonde at audi-sport

Dixons are doing a deal again for the tomtom go.

It comes with free delivery as standard but if you enter the following codes it drops the price from ?450 to ?360

First enter: DIXONS203018 and click update this will give you ?55 off

Then enter: dixons35 and click update agina this will give you another ?35 off.

Unqoute

Enjoy this offer peeps - i know i will !

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You can get it on credit from the website if its a help!!

You can get speed camera locations from websites I believe, its all expalined in the handbook. Or you can get a disc off ebay for ?2!!

The Tom Tom software is seriously impressive stuff! I bought another for my mate today! I knew he was after one, and I only tod him about the first 55 quid off code!! Shall i diddle him 35 sovs or shall I be honest!!!LOL

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The speed camera POI (point of interest database is widely available on the web for free, just downlad to your pc and load up to the TomTom unit.

Yes it can show your speed, it's one of the settings. On my Pda running TomTom i have it turned on - you can never have too many different devices showing your speed-Road Angel, Speedo, TomTom...

J.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I also have a pda with tom tom sat nav installed & then i installed checkpoint which detects all the speed cameras & POI's (speed, traffic light, blackspots, etc) plus its free to update instead of paying 100 quid a year for updates with a road angel. The PDA can also be used to play music/video/games :eek:) The whole package cost me 200 quid what a bargain aye! ;o)

If anyones after a PDA full gps kit please pm me & i will give you the bloke who sells them details [:D]

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread...i'm just so undecided...[:(]

The options are -

Buy TomTom Go for ?360.

Buy cheap iPaq 1710 just for Sat Nav ?175 (inc VAT although i wouldn't pay it) + WIRED GPS unit (?100ish) + TomTom for PDA

Buy good iPaq 4700 to use for everything ?380 (inc VAT although i wouldn't pay it) + BT GPS unit (?100ish) + TomTom for PDA

ARRRGGGGGHHHH

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote: posted by GeordieLife on 13/01/2005 21:12:46

Sorry to hijack this thread...i'm just so undecided...[:(]

The options are -

Buy TomTom Go for ?360.

Buy cheap iPaq 1710 just for Sat Nav ?175 (inc VAT although i wouldn't pay it) + WIRED GPS unit (?100ish) + TomTom for PDA

Buy good iPaq 4700 to use for everything ?380 (inc VAT although i wouldn't pay it) + BT GPS unit (?100ish) + TomTom for PDA

ARRRGGGGGHHHH

Dont go for the Tom Tom Go for ?360.

I dont think its worth it to be honest m8, it wont come with the speed camera detection software because Tom Tom does not include this.

Go here & find out about the PDA's for reviews & that: http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/

You can also download the speed camera detection software & other stuff in the downloads section @ pocketgps [:D]

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Quote: posted by GeordieLife on 13/01/2005 19:42:05

MB, how accruate is the speed thing compared to the RA?

Sorry to be a pest, it's a fair wedge of cash!

No worries, compared to the RA they are pretty much spot on, occasionally there's maybe 1mph difference but I'd say that's just the PDA catching up.

The difference between getting the Tomtom Go and a PDA running tomtom is the speed of the unit. The TomTom Go is dedicated to running Sat Nav the PDA running TomTom is a compromise.

If you want a unit to occasionally use as Sat Nav then the PDA will do, if you want a unit to replace a Road Angel or similar then the PDA, in my opinion, isn't up to the job - the PDA solution isn't very neat and is too slow. The same if you want a Sat Nav unit, occasional use the PDA is ok but is too slow and clumsy to use all the time.

J.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
My Tom tom used to read 3-4 mph SLOWER tha the speedo, not higher, as you would expect as speedos are not allowed to under read by law, only over read. The tom tom speed is pretty accurate I think.

I understand from someone who has one that speed camera info IS available for free, through online downloads that are detailed in the TOM TOM instructions. Wheter this si correct ie it shows the websites,or just expalins how to add other POIs (points of interest0 I am not 100% certain. But he has all fixed cameras, balack spots and known mobile camera sites on his, and he says the voice tells you the speed limit at each site too!!! Although he may be making it up, as I was not aware of this possible function, and he is a bit full of it!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts