Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has serious penguin feet when dropped on air,how can i sort this out?

Mk4's have toe adjustment right?

·
Registered
479 Posts
You can adjust it out, but how's that going to effect it when it's at "normal" height?

Or is scraping it's belly normal height?

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ If you adjust it to be correct at dropped height, it'll be out at ride height
I see,never noticed it on yours Pat,must be the way it sits that exposes the toe.

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you had it aligned since you fitted the air ride?
No,but after viewing a hell of a lot of aired out mk4's today i'd say my toe out is one of the worst,alignment needs to be checked.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
you have to set your ride height then align it, and keep it at that height for driving. as stated if you do it so its air'd out and stright it will destroy tyres pretty quick

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you have to set your ride height then align it, and keep it at that height for driving. as stated if you do it so its air'd out and stright it will destroy tyres pretty quick
Yeah i know Jake,things might be different since i fitted the front struts?

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
of course, as the airlifts dont have the tab on the back in theory you can move the hub quite abit, ideally any suspension mods need realigning after, be a brave man to put the targets on those wheels though haha

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After a little job at weekend,it appears that the way airlift shocks mount is the cause of the toe,the strut is fixed to the towers via three bolts and can't move around like most other suspension.It was also noted that my car toes out the same amount at ride height,so in theory if i get the toe sorted at ride height it should cure it when it's sat down.

Thoughts......?

·
Registered
115 Posts
am i right in thinking your on about toe in and toe out? if so get it tracked up at ride height and once its dumped the toe shouldnt change only the chamber will change as with air or ride height below 60mm you get negative chamber or even check your track rod ends for play?

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
am i right in thinking your on about toe in and toe out? if so get it tracked up at ride height and once its dumped the toe shouldnt change only the chamber will change as with air or ride height below 60mm you get negative chamber or even check your track rod ends for play?
Yes i am talking about toe in/out and am fully aware that it needs the tracking sorting,but the way the strut fits to the car has caused the toe out(tracked when it was on the coilovers at around the same ride height) and will not allow it to camber in when airing out.This has happened on both mine and a friends car who recently changed from the conventional fitting struts to bolt on type.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts