Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TDi 4-Motion gets delivered today. Spec is:-

metallic silver, xenons, cruise, Estorils, winter pack, storage pack, hi-line.

First job will be to install my sat-nav (PDA based, already got the Brodit vent mount).

Tomorrow I'm going to Slough, which is nice.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

First job will be to install my sat-nav (PDA based, already got the Brodit vent mount).

Nice one, hope you have a great day,weather looks good for picking up a new motor,sorry but I must correct you as your first job should be,posting Photo's on here.

Safe trip.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blimey- it's here already, trucked up from Wolverhampton.

I wonder how much work I'm going to get done today (officially my calendar says "Home office").

I'll try to get some pictures on here, but it looks just like your car Derv Burner, except that it's silver and has 5 doors (and sticky out exhausts if you go round the back).

BTW- it's come on Bridgestones any thoughts ? My experience in the past changing from Contis to Bridgestone on a 320d wasn't entirely positive- traction in the wet was much worse.

Still, there's always the 4mo.........................

Actually the down-side today is that the dog's at the vet having an eye op. Lots of ????????? and it seems strange to be at home without him.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
"but it looks just like your car Derv Burner, except that it's silver and has 5 doors (and sticky out exhausts if you go round the back)".

Oh yeah just like mine then.[:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Bridgestones were always good to me. Had them before I got the 18's. Didnt have a problem in the slightest with them, I certainly wouldn't go changing them anyway and splashing out for new ones. Like you say, you always have the 4motion! [:)]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

Good spec choices, partic the wheels. No armrest???

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bridgestones were always good to me. Had them before I got the 18's. Didnt have a problem in the slightest with them, I certainly wouldn't go changing them anyway and splashing out for new ones. Like you say, you always have the 4motion! [:)]
I won't be able to change them until they wear out- car belongs to a lease company.

Then I'll have to get what they specify- usually Michelins made from Bakelite..

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
BTW- it's come on Bridgestones any thoughts ? My experience in the past changing from Contis to Bridgestone on a 320d wasn't entirely positive- traction in the wet was much worse.
Allegedly the Bridgestones were designed for the Golf, although if they are that good why is it random if you get Bridgestones or Conti's.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are you doing on this forum if you new cars has been delivered,get out and drive it [:D]
I know, I know.

I've just got too much to do at the moment so I'm tied to the lap-top (my contributions to the forum would suggest a degree of displacement behaviour though).

Roll on the hols- off to North Yorkshire and we'll probably go up via Skipton and then through the Dales.

Hopefully it will snow.

Tomorrow's trip won't be so good- M6, M42, M40, probably in the fog !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've just been out, even though rush hour in Manchester isn't the best time and I'm very, very pleased.

I like how smooth (reduced vibration) the engine is compared to the 1.9 TDI A4 I used to have and the more gradual way that the turbo spools up. I'm looking forward to being able to use it a bit harder when it's done some more miles.

I'm also pleased with the ride- the lower profile tyres seem to firm it up just a little (compared with the previous Mk Vs on 16" wheels) but it's still nice and absorbant.

Gear change is easy and quick, seats are comfortable and the dash is nice and clear. I've not been able to come to an opinion on the headlights yet- that will have to wait 'til I can escape the city.

Compared to the A4, I'm only going to miss the large fuel tank and boot. I won't miss the pain in my legs from the seat, the wheel-spin, the pitching over bumps and the flopping into corners.

The dog is OK too so, yes, it has been a good day.

Slough tomorrow- I'm almost looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
What are you doing on this forum if you new cars has been delivered,get out and drive it [:D]
I know, I know.

I've just got too much to do at the moment so I'm tied to the lap-top (my contributions to the forum would suggest a degree of displacement behaviour though).

Roll on the hols- off to North Yorkshire and we'll probably go up via Skipton and then through the Dales.

Hopefully it will snow.

Tomorrow's trip won't be so good- M6, M42, M40, probably in the fog !
Sounds a great route,[ap]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So 1200 miles later, what do I think ?

All in all, I'm delighted with it. It's great on the motorway, even if the tyres make quite a bit of noise and it's very comfortable- I can't fault the driving position. I've no gripe with the plastics, even if others don't like them. Maybe that's because my previous VW was a Mk2 GTi and I only drove Mk4s as hire cars.

Off the motorway it rides well and grip seems good. Driving with the ESP off seems to help the Haldex shove more drive to the back wheels, I guess because the power isn't being cut or the brakes applied. I also got to try it in snow (actually fresh snow on ice) and I was reminded again that 4wd doesn't help you stop any better but, an open, uphill bend was quite a hoot. Fuel consumption (from full tank to full tank) has been 39.9, 38.2 and 40.5mpg and I'm hoping it will get better.

It's almost a great car- if it was a bit edgier it would be brilliant. I reckon that it needs around 200bhp with a sequential turbo (a la BMW 535d) to improve throttle response, more rearward bias for the Haldex (at least as a "sport setting") and GTi grill and interior. Coincidentally that would be a great basis for a WRC car- VW would have a terrific showroom for their diesel technology and they could easily get 300bhp from a rally tuned engine.

Next step for me is to put some lamps on the front, chip it when it's done 5000 miles and install an iPOD or DAB or both !

Question to anybody who has chipped their 2.0 TDI- how much difference does it make ? Any comparisons with other cars ?

Cheers,

Andrew

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Andrew,

I've a 2.0Tdi and was warned when I got it by several people on here that the mpg wouldn;t be very good intially. Mines a FWD and I could barely manage to get high 30's out of it. After about 3K the engine loosened up considerabley and fuel consumption improved. I now average mid 40's to a tank and that is with a very heavy right foot. Taking it easy on the way to work I can easily get mid 50's (as soon as you go over 75-80mph the mpg drops a lot)

Can;t help you on the chipping front as I haven't got mine done yet although it will be shortly. From all the reviews I have read it does become a bit of a monster [:D]

J,

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
its a whole world of difference when re-mapped. Infact, you wouldn't notice that it'd been done coz its so smooth..except for the wheelspin and the fact that 100 seems to be where 70 used to be ( if you get my drift ! ). My car will now wheelspin in the (slight) damp at nearly 50 mph..i haven't tested it to see if i'll do it in 3rd gear too yet... So, now I have more than 180bhp and yet will still easily do 50mpg. What more can you want ???[:D]

Its a hoot - definately money well spent

1 - 17 of 17 Posts