Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok nothing dirty here [;)]

been thinking about next mods for golf. am planning to go silly bhp this summer fingers crossed, so the car wont be cheap to run. so i'm thinking now, about maybe striping the inside of car out (remove back seats.... etc etc) and turn car into full on track monster! [:p], but keeping the stealth look from outside, and possibly tint all windows to hide the inside. then replace my curretn van with new one, to use to run about in, instead of golf!

so what do people think? i think its a good idea one day but the next i'm not to sure, bit of advice would be helpfull! [Y]

·
Registered
680 Posts
ok nothing dirty here [;)]

been thinking about next mods for golf. am planning to go silly bhp this summer fingers crossed, so the car wont be cheap to run. so i'm thinking now, about maybe striping the inside of car out (remove back seats.... etc etc) and turn car into full on track monster! [:p], but keeping the stealth look from outside, and possibly tint all windows to hide the inside. then replace my curretn van with new one, to use to run about in, instead of golf!

so what do people think? i think its a good idea one day but the next i'm not to sure, bit of advice would be helpfull! [Y]
Its too tidy a car matt to do that too....[:O][:(]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
IMO yes, but do it the stealthy way as honda have done with the type R

remove all sound proofing, but replace carpet and trims

drill and remove most of the metal from the window regulators, these way a ton and could easily be lightened

leav back seats in situ BUT strip and drill and cut out frames then rebuild and refit

fit lightweight racing seats (Accord TypeR or Integra TypeR seats would be cool)

Strip Boot, leave bare

That little lot should look standard, to all but the experts but would
prrobably be lighter than just whipping out the under dash and rear
seats, plus it is undoable as seat frames and half broken window
regulators are ten a penny on flea bay

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see this is what puts me off. it is a nice car, cost me/ the bank a lot of money [;)]

gave it a lot of thought over weekend. guna save up for a set of recaros for front, spend evan more money on engine. i want a reliable 360 bhp, or as reliable as poss. and sort susspension and handling out. maybe in year or so's time, it might be time to do what i want to it.

i'm not planing on selling the car. i'd never get back what i spent on it. unless someones offering 20k! [:O]

worst comes to worst and engine goes pop, or gets knackered, i'm going to keep car and go with new engine.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
see this is what puts me off. it is a nice car, cost me/ the bank a lot of money [;)]

gave it a lot of thought over weekend. guna save up for a set of recaros for front, spend evan more money on engine. i want a reliable 360 bhp, or as reliable as poss. and sort susspension and handling out. maybe in year or so's time, it might be time to do what i want to it.

i'm not planing on selling the car. i'd never get back what i spent on it. unless someones offering 20k! [:O]

worst comes to worst and engine goes pop, or gets knackered, i'm going to keep car and go with new engine.
I'm not sure about the stripping of it but i reckon some porker gt3 recaro's would be ace and if you have the cash definately rebuild the engine for mental power!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
grrr it allways comes down to cash! worked every w/end last yr, no sumer holiday, jst 2 go ihi!  going 2 get moneys worth from this first, and try save up at same time, so when i need to, i've got money set aside for new engine. seems lots of people are going 1.9l now?

·
Registered
680 Posts
grrr it allways comes down to cash! worked every w/end last yr, no sumer holiday, jst 2 go ihi! going 2 get moneys worth from this first, and try save up at same time, so when i need to, i've got money set aside for new engine. seems lots of people are going 1.9l now?
2ltr also being done now... crank & pistons & rods...

overbore helps torque and pickup even from 82.5mm bore on same stroke.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Just to ask, simply because I find this thread interesting...

If you're looking at target figures of 300bhp+ what sort of considerations do you make for traction?? Has anyone gone down the path of converting to 4wd with a 1.8T a la S3?

I ask because you can pick up cheap 1.8T's now (blown motor or something) and a few friends and I have toyed with the idea of making a track car with TT/S3/LCR power and 4mo running gear, with the boot cut out presumably? You boys seem to know the score, what's your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

If you're looking at target figures of 300bhp+ what sort of considerations do you make for traction?? Has anyone gone down the path of converting to 4wd with a 1.8T a la S3?

I ask because you can pick up cheap 1.8T's now (blown motor or something) and a few friends and I have toyed with the idea of making a track car with TT/S3/LCR power and 4mo running gear, with the boot cut out presumably? You boys seem to know the score, what's your thoughts?
It is very doable but noone has done it here yet it requires guts and half the car cutting out do a google for HPA 4motion conversion, its a canadian Co that does it to beetles and golfs

·
Registered
4,733 Posts

It is very doable but noone has done it here yet it requires guts and half the car cutting out do a google for HPA 4motion conversion, its a canadian Co that does it to beetles and golfs
Interesting, not as 'bolt on' as you'd think though! I wonder if an engine transplant into a goosed 4mo might be the cheaper/easier option?

·
Registered
680 Posts

was'nt matt trying to reduce weight for track use?

adding 4wd (not finaincially practical) adds weight.

want some more traction, choose some tyres to do the job asked of them... ie track..... track tyres or slicks. No problems with traction then.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
reduce weight yes.

4wd, no. spoils all the fun!

i'm going to fit some lighter front seats, and tint the windows a lil now

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
if you are going to be pushing big bhp then id say you may aswell get your moneys worth and strip it. but id like to see how much you drive the new van over the golf when it is done lol. i would not be able to stop using the golf no matter how much fule it drank.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
u say that, but in 8weeks since i had ihi, i've only done 1000 miles. only use it at weekends a bit. think i'll keep as is for now, in future when it gets bit tatty, i probs will strip

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
u say that, but in 8weeks since i had ihi, i've only done 1000 miles. only use it at weekends a bit. think i'll keep as is for now, in future when it gets bit tatty, i probs will strip
fair enough.. so how is IHI you must be at 350+bhp? cant belive you want more so soon lol

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its going well, a lot better to drive now! its limited to 1.2bar at the mo. hoping to get 300+ on thr rr 2moro. [Y]

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
reduce weight yes.

360 Horses through the front wheels.........LMAO!

See you on the strip losin to a 1.0 litre Micra cos your too busy spinnin! [:D] You'll have to set off in 5th!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
reduce weight yes.

360 Horses through the front wheels.........LMAO!

See you on the strip losin to a 1.0 litre Micra cos your too busy spinnin! [:D] You'll have to set off in 5th!
Be needing an LSD ASAP......

Anyway, get back to work [:p]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts