Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 18x8" ASA AR1 wheels all round, with 225/40/18 tyres. I've just ordered a set of 18x9" AR1's from germany [:D]

I'll be replacing my rears with the 18x9's....but do I swap the tyres over (and have 225's strethed onto a 9" wide rim), or put on some 245 wide rear tyres? I'll be selling the 18x8 rears so I could just sell them with the tyres. I really can't decide what would look better! The stretched look is cool.....but then 245 tyres will make the back end wider which is also cool! What to do?

Heres a couple of pics of 215 tyres on 18x8 and 18x9 AR1's on a bora to give an idea of what the stretched option will look like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Opinions? [^o)]

Also, anyone got any pics of 245 rear tyres on a golf?

P.S. I will have another set of 18x8 and 18x9 wheels up for sale very soon....pm me if you're interested

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Anybody know what that front bumper is, Rieger?

Am looking for similar but without those naff side vents.
Looks to be a definate rieger, the side vents don't come with it, so you've no need to worry on that score!

As for the tyres, deffo 245, I tried to do this one mine, but my alloys are 7.5's so can't [:'(]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Faisal, definately go 225/35/18. I was going to run these same wheels in 9x18 all round with 20mm rear spacers on 225/35s. It would make a huge difference. Jamie Simms (4low) runs 245/ 35 rubber on the rear of his on 9.5" wide Schmidts and it looks good but stretched would look better on these imo. Get it done mate. Proper euro![:D]

·
Registered
836 Posts
Be careful though if you use the same tyre no different width rims because the stretch is more on the back the diameter of the whele will be slightly less.  As Mr MOT man may have something to say!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I'd keep your existing tyres (225 width) for the 9's. Then you can sell the staggered set of wheels all without tyres, rather than having just two wrapped.

Stretched looks better IMO, but a 225 isn't pushing the boundries on 9", just watch those kerbs !!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Faisal, definately go 225/35/18. I was going to run these same wheels in 9x18 all round with 20mm rear spacers on 225/35s. It would make a huge difference. Jamie Simms (4low) runs 245/ 35 rubber on the rear of his on 9.5" wide Schmidts and it looks good but stretched would look better on these imo. Get it done mate. Proper euro![:D]
225/35 eh? That'll reduce the diameter below the standard size though....and unless I change all the tyres, i'll have a skinnier sidewall on the rear tyres. Skinnier sidewalled tyres do look good though, like the just-matz golf when it had the merc wheels. Don't want to have to change the front tyres though.

I don't think i'd get away with 20mm spacers on 9x18's! I've got 8" wides now with 15mm, and they rub with 2/3 passengers in the back.

Am I right in thiking that if the offset of the 9's is the same as the 8's, then with no spacers the 9's stick out 1/2" more (12.5mm)? But then if I keep the same tyre, the tread won't actually stick out much more will it.....maybe I can still use the 15mm spacers....hmmm, confused! [:S]

Thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
130 Posts
Faisal, I have the same merc rims on mine as Dave Kumar had on his mk4 you refer to and I'm running 215/35/18s on 8.5" wide rims. It looks sweet and it does lower the rolling diameter which makes the car sharper off the mark and more lively. I meant going for 225/35s all round for you. Seen this with these wheels running 9s all round with above mentioned spacers and it looked wicked. Like I said these were my second choice but the mint merc wheels I got from Germany were too good to pass up. Let me know what you do and get some pics. Cheers dude.[:)]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oh, forgot to say that I also run 25mm thick adaptors all round bringing my offset down to 22mm all round on 8.5" rims and get no rubbing on an 85mm drop!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, forgot to say that I also run 25mm thick adaptors all round bringing my offset down to 22mm all round on 8.5" rims and get no rubbing on an 85mm drop!
[:O]

You need to get some pics up! 85mm! You must scrape everything, but I bet it looks amazing!

I'm going to stick with the 225's all round for now. Its the easiest option, and there's no point in losing out money on selling the tyres. I'll have to reconsider tyre sizes when they need replacing.

·
Registered
469 Posts
R u sure they r 8.5 wide and they look like 8inch

·
Registered
658 Posts
U need to get some pics up mate. Im considering getting some 215/35/18's for my 8.5" rears and would like to see the stretch on your rears to compare.

Go on, post up some pics mate!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wheels are deffo 8.5" wide. Merc did make 8" wide versions but the wider wheels are rarer! I badly want to get some pics up but I can't seem to host on photobucket and alike. My computer just locks me out. Can someone else host them for me if and send me their email address?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Got a few pics up in members rides courtesy of a mate that uploaded them for me. Feedback always welcomed guys. Faisal, only the driveshaft is currently catching but droplinks are on their way. Only about 30mm clearance from sump to ground though so speed humps are out the window!!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I remember reading an article that largely went over my head, in which stretched tyres were cited as having handling benefits. Cool as they may look, or good as they may handle, I wouldn't have them, I'd be in perpetual fear of kerbing the rims! [:S]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts