Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello..........
I think the catalytic converter is missing from the heap (it will shine one day) 1.9 TDI I bought very cheap at the weekend. My mechanic reckons that it doesn't necessarily need one - is this true? Has anyone else not got a CAT and still passed MOT?

Thanks

Tom

· Registered
306 Posts
Has the original exhaust been replaced? My 2002 ASZ 1.9TDI had a cat, when the exhaust needed replacing I bought a Milltek one and a stainless steel "performance" cat, American made but I forget the brand, (which probably doesn't do much) and had them TIG'd together.....

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me so quicly. I'm not sure if it has been replaced - I suspect not. Fingers crossed it doesn't need one although if it does I sound a site called cats2u.co.uk who do one for less than £100 if needed. She's an old wreck but with a little love should be purring.

· Registered
11,653 Posts
the mk4 golf TDI's (all of them) can pass an MOT without the cat even if there was one on the car and you remove it... they fall in the not needed category, so your MOT guy is right . Mine had an oversized downpipe and a cat delete and passed every MOT without a problem. That said the exhaust fumes will be very stinky if you remove the cat (it's a diesel thing, remove cat and the exhaust fumes smell like an old tractor)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet! Thanks for the confirmation northpole...........when I went with my mate to look at it we were so wound up with the standard things to look at we missed this rather large elephant in the room!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts