Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

To buy Golf Tdi 130, 150 or Anniversary

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Coolcurly Pt 2 
#1 ·
What is the general consensus on the best to buy out of the above s election? I am currently selling my Westfield and my Clio 172 and want to buy 1 decent diesel car.

I hear that the 150 suffer from terrible lag is this true? (I have just sold my integrale evo so have experienced big lag first hand haha)

#2 ·
Well obviously the best one would be an anniversary, but it just depends what you can afford. All of them are good with lots of potential with the anniversary by far and away the nicest.

And no, the 150s don't suffer from terrible lag. There's some, but no more than you'd expect. And i've always wanted either a red or a yellow integrale evo!! it'll happen one day

#5 ·
The 150 does have more lag than the 130. But if you use BP ultimate - the car is transformed!! However, I guess never driven a 130 on ultimate - must feel like zero lag. I like the looks of the Ani but I don't like the seats... I think they look a little naff.

#6 ·
They are at different price levels so it really depends on your budget.

As a very happy 130 owner, if money was no object I would go for the Anniversary (diesel version - 150) as it looks excellent but if you are going for a 'normal' 150 or 130 then you can always go for a re-map etc if you want more power.

#7 ·
The 150 does have more lag than the 130. But if you use BP ultimate - the car is transformed!! However, I guess never driven a 130 on ultimate - must feel like zero lag. I like the looks of the Ani but I don't like the seats... I think they look a little naff.
I have not tried BP ultimate based on my previous experiences of the petrol versions of these fuels, but your recommendation has got me thinking about it.

#8 ·
I have not tried BP ultimate based on my previous experiences of the petrol versions of these fuels, but your recommendation has got me thinking about it.
Another possible bonus is that when I had a peek at my EGR, it looked very clean for 44K. I'm guessing that because Ultimate burns with less smoke the gasses passing through the EGR are cleaner and hence less clogging.

Shell have diesel V power on the contenient. If you can get hold of Shell diesel Extra get that its almost as good as ultimate but at the same price a regualr. Its got limited availability though.

#9 ·
Ive had 2 Integrale Evos now, 1 white one and 1 red one. The red one by far the best, had anthracite magnesium speedlines and was absolutely mint.

I think I will go for the Anniversary, just got to sell my Westfield and the 172 first.

Why are so many of them bad examples then? What are the faults thar are being found? What are the common things to look for in these then? Are they reliable and what sort of MPG should I expect?

Anyone want to do a deal on either a 172 or a 200hp Westfield?

#10 ·
Suffer from the usual golf mk 4 faults that are well documented on this forum,but the main thing is the ones i have viewed have been un cared for & full of dents scrapes & excessive stonechips.

Hope you find a good one cos i am thinking about just settling for a top spec 150pd instead, cos i am well F****d off with traveling miles away only to be disapponted with the condition when i get there.

#11 ·
With all anniversary's 1800 made, from mags ive read two were used as press cars. 900 petrol 900 diesel. Tornado red, i only saw one for sale in pd form, diamond black, and like mine reflex silver.

Most cars will be out of warranty period now, some may have an extended one, if your lucky. Bad examples around because some people seem to just not care for there cars, i saw 2 in the flesh, the 2nd one i drove to middlesborough to view, FVWSH, 2 owners, 15K, silver No.0341, 11995! so i said yep, thank you very much.

Since ownership ive had full 4yr service, cambelt, waterpump, pulleys and tensioners, my concerns were that it hadnt been used for so long been stood for 3months as previous owner went overseas to see hubby. Air con re gas turned into, cooling fans failure, ( common fault by all accounts), so had fans replaced, with assistance from VW, so £500 turned into £120! Next week new front tyres are being fitted, at 21k.

Mpg wise, i drove to london and back recently it returned 51mpg at 80-85mph, and i filled it up again at 547miles, ( i dont like running til the light comes on).

Original alloys came with a ball burnished finish, but was prone, well i should say guaranteed for the laquer to have a worming effect or peel. Dealers replaced them with a painted silver finish. The original BBS' were 7.5j were as some alloys on net (ebay etc...) are 8j fittiment.

So just have a good luck round, check fans, cambelt dependant on mileage (4yrs or 60K i think), tyre wear as there not cheap and alloy condition, and servixce history, front valence is prone to scuff marks if caught on a kerb, as i found out.

Think it may be everything, someone may add something else if ive missed it.

Chris

#12 ·
Only go for an Anni if you really like the idea of having one, because you can get much better spec'd 150's for less money and more variety in colours etc. Gary C's car for example is as close to buying a new car as you'll ever see.... he actually licks it clean [:S]

130 vs 150 - My mate and I both have REVO on respective engines, his is instantanious power but runs out of breath early on. Mine is a little laggy if you get caught in the wrong gear but pulls like a train right round the clock. Different tuners I'm sure will map to suit your style and this won't be as much of an issue, respected ones like Jabba who can squeeze more power will warn it's limited by the VW clutch - you can easily shred it.

#14 ·
How much are the TDI 140 though? Prob out of my budget...

Going back to the statement about getting a TDI150 for loads less than an Anni, I have found loads of annis at around 9-10k which is what I would be spending.. The decent tdi 150s (3 dr) are not a million miles away from that price?

#15 ·

Going back to the statement about getting a TDI150 for loads less than an Anni, I have found loads of annis at around 9-10k which is what I would be spending.. The decent tdi 150s (3 dr) are not a million miles away from that price?
The main problem with the high output diesels is that its not fun to push, u can't tell what the chassis is doing and it just ends up being scary rather than fun. But, if you look at them as a GT car and less of a GTI then they are fine. Good motorway cruisers and nice to drive everyday.

I've not yet driven a mk v yet (else I want want to change!!) but everything I have read says its polls apart from anything based on the mk iv chassis. Owing the cars you own I get the feeling you might be a little under whelmed when driving a mk iv, thats why I suggested a mk v 140.

#16 ·
Another possible bonus is that when I had a peek at my EGR, it looked very clean for 44K. I'm guessing that because Ultimate burns with less smoke the gasses passing through the EGR are cleaner and hence less clogging.

Shell have diesel V power on the contenient. If you can get hold of Shell diesel Extra get that its almost as good as ultimate but at the same price a regualr. Its got limited availability though.
I'll definitely have to try some of this BP ultimate! i used to swear by Optimax when i had petrol cars, but never seen this stuff even though i fill up at BP petrol stations

#17 ·

There's a lot of dog rough Annis out there too, not everyone was owned by someone who knew to love it... I swear I looked at every single black TDI one of them too!

#18 ·

There's a lot of dog rough Annis out there too, not everyone was owned by someone who knew to love it... I swear I looked at every single black TDI one of them too!
Yeah i'll second that mate,i've looked at 4 so far,all sheds,& as for annis at 9-10k there either dog rough or been to the moon & back lol, you try finding a mint 1,there like rocking horse s**t mate.

#19 ·
Mines mint - but unfortunately for you is Petrol!! [:D]

I think alot of the rough ones where ex - company cars so not really cared for by the owner. Im a little lucky as I got mine with one lady owner who had only done small miles on it - since Ive had it its had all the usual work done - cambelt when the waterpump went, etc etc and the only reason Im selling her is I need a bigger car.

She has been definately one of the best cars Ive owned and trust me Ive had a fair few. I can understand the love of the Derv though although I still picked the petrol when it came to choosing the car, and have never regreted it.

good luck with the search though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.