Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got quite a few stone chips on the front of my golf, just wondering how anyone covers them so that they blend in !!

ANY TIPS ??

Thanks A Lot

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Try a stone chip repair kit from Halfords. It won't be perfect, or even as good as a professional can do. Wait until you get a few more chips then just get a proper bodyshop to respray it entirely and it will look factory-new. Then adjust your driving and keep your distance from cars in front as much as possible - stones don't jump off the ground by themselves, they are flung from the rear tyres of vehicles in front! Admittedly it's not always practical, but then at low speeds there would be less of an issue and you could be closer without too much risk. Just something to bear in mind. Watch out in areas where the road is not smooth and free of debris.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
U can ask Halfords to mix up paint from your paint code (build sticker). They can supply a small 'pen' which has a really fine nib on it. Its a little like those tip-ex pens its much better than the touch up kit from VW with a brush. U do also need some of thier laquer. I find u can get really good results with this

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I had this very same conversation with my brother on wednesday night.

He said to get the primer touch up pen, touch in the chip/scratch, leave it to harden for a few days, then cover with the "Colour" touch up pen, leave it again for a few day to harden, then get some 2000grit wet/dry paper to flatten/blend it in to the original paint work, next use a "compound" to bring back the shine, either by hand[:|] or by power polishing it. You should now hardly be able to see it, if at all.

This is the way Chips away do he's say's, but they use a strong UV light to speed up the hardening process to minutes, not days.

My 2p [:)]

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Jace, I think you meant to say 200 Wet and Dry, not 2000 ?

From a friend in the trade, he also recomends buying an fine arist brush, then cut half the brissels off to apply the touch up.

Just don't do what my brother has done, used wire wool on his bonet
thinking that this would flatten the areas that he had touched up.
Luckily a bit of Scratch X and my Porter Cable have removed most of the
damage that he caused.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm pretty sure he meant 2000 grit wet and dry. 200 is like emery
paper. The number is the number of grit particles per square inch. 200
is very coarse.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Alternatively let it almost dry then go over the area carefully with some spirit wipe to remove the excess which is above the chip. This way you should get the result to be flat with the rest of the paintwork in the area.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've also got a few (quite a few really!) chips I want to touch up, but was wondering about lacquer.....

Can easily use a fine brush or whatever to get paint into the chip, but how do put a lacquer coat on? - if you just spray it on all over, won't you get patches of different spray on the bonnet between the 'newly applied' lacquer and the original factory paintwork?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Don't spray it, it will be obvious if you spray it on with a can.

If you get the two part touch up kit it comes with lacquer. You can either put an amount on top or I read somewhere (probably the Alngka site) that you can mix the paint 50:50 with lacquer and apply that in one go!

·
Registered
195 Posts
has anyone used this langka stuff, im tempted but it sounds too good to be true !! ??
Ive been looking at various reports on the net and i am looking at getting some,. apparently the touch up kits you buy are cellulose based , whereas the original paint on your car isnt, the Langka then only removed the cellulose paint from your bodywork - only leaving it where it needs to be, in the chip.

When I get some ill try it and perfect the technique on the Passat before i venture near the Golf (done 182k,. more than a few chips!)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I bought a touch up kit from my stealer....Official Audi ebony black and comes with lacquer too. Cost me something like ?5.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts