Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Im thinking of getting my windows tinted but i have had a quote for all 5 windows to be tinted and it was far to expensive. 480 quid!!! but this is with some special tint that gets melted on or something, its not a film type. Apparently the materials for the car are 300 pounds

It does look amazing what he does but is just not justifiable. He doesnt reccomend the film type but he can do it. Can anyone tell me is the film worth it ?

Any pics would be great

Thanks

Jamie

·
Registered
133 Posts
Personally I would get the film type done as if you ever decide you do not like the tint anymore you can remove accordingly. Also if someone smashes a window in it will not be as expensive to replace the film tint. I had all 5 windows tinted for £130 over a year ago with light smoke tint.

I Didnt really like the front ones tinted so I removed them after 6 months. How dark are you looking to get it tinted?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
i've just taken my front tints off after 4 years.. ..I feel so open now not cosy hiding ganster stylie!! lol...

but the interior needs to be showed off.. [lol-lol]

plus...[cop]!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Film is a good choice. It should not bubble overtime the film i had used on my car was SunGard which has been used by a lot of window tinters. Shop around for a good deal theres many around. Dont go to the cheapest as it might not be the best. If you go to someone thats a pro then it should be bubble free. However, you might the odd one or two teeniest bubbles but nothing that you will be able to spot unless you go close upto it and inspect it with a light. Which I doubt you will do lol.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Also in my personal opinion a light tint all around looks pretty good. I found dark tint on the rears too dark as I tend to park on the road on certain days on busy streets so blocks view from rearview when reversing. Not too dark and not too undercover gangster. Especially if your car has black interior.

Best way to get a feel of what tint shade you want is get the guy to hold the tint sheet up against the inside window of your car and stand back and see how dark it looks. Do this on a sunny/light day though lol might be difficult at this time of the year.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers ... what do you think 50% then on the back and 75% on front.. i dont want to be gangsta .. going for smoke to make it look smart

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
where abouts are you located? the film type tint and the one that gets melted on are very similar. ive had a few of my cars tinted (film) its cheaper, and lasts a long time, quality is also good. they'll use a hair dryer/heat gun,soapy water theres not much to it. just skill. i paid 25pounds a window. got 3 windows and 2 quarter windows tinted. all for about 95quid. and ive always used the same guy, very good!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I reckon 50% on rear and 75% would look decent. If I was you look at different tints whilst held up against the car will give you a better image as to how it will look overall. Also a darker interior will make it look even darker.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeh i have black cloth seats. so should look just perfect with 50% and 75% on front. thanks.

im not sure what film he uses or how much it will cost for him to do the film type. so for 5 windows im looking at around 200 ??

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
where abouts are you?i can give you this guys number if yours anywer near Essex?!

i still think 200 is abit of a rip off.. about 150 sounds good

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hahah see i live in Jersey channel islands.. every thing is more expensive over here. its annoying. thats why order things from the uk get the vat taken off :p

i shall ask him how much for 5 windows with the film today and post back ..

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He wanted 400 for all 5 tinted with good film.. :O

but i got him to do the better melt on stuff or 450 .. so it seems a better deal lol.. but jeeeze its expensive.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wouldnt pay that much for window tint lol what sort of film is he using. Im sure the film cannot be that expensive for him to charge £450.00. Look around and see if you can get it cheaper. Might even be cheaper for you to come to the UK and get it done bit of roadtrip.

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
£200 is a good price to have all the windows done by a skilled tinter using good quality film that doesn't turn purple the first day the sun comes out.I'm guessing you're subject to UK road laws out there,if so don't forget any tint film what so ever on the front windows will take it below the legal limit of a VLT of 70%.

Chris.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts