Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen a mk4 roaming round town with smoked rear lights, had a word with the chap about them because they look imence in my oppinion, he said he paid around £100 for his, not too much, but a mate of his who was also there had used spray, his looked just as good.

Just wanted to know has anyone used spray?

Got any tips about it or should i just stay clear :) ?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might give it a shot tomorrow then, is it just a case of removing the lights and going calmly over the area you wish to cover with the can a few CM's away?

Any tips ;) ?

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
Have you ever sprayed before? if not a couple of light even coats is better than one over sprayed mess. Build it up gradually with light passes about 12cm away from the object been painted[C]

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
we did motionlee's he wanted black haha they still lit up, just need to put it on really thinned down, then clear coat over it

·
Registered
533 Posts
Chubbytom! I have a pair of smoked rears which are 100% legal and have the hella stamps on!

Im looking for a swap but not for the standard rears, looking for the gti ones really, what are your rears?

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I had lights with this on a while ago and they were really dim. Also had a bit of trouble because it also covers over the built in reflector

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
sprayed the rear lights on a mates car, from what we got told as long as your lights are visible at night and the brakes are in the day you should have no problems, the reflecter should still be visible so we put a thin coat on it then masked over it while we did the rest of the coats and they look great and have had no problems.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Done it on mine, did quite a few coats over the orange indicator bit and the reverse light, so they look like US Gti rears [:)]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chubbytom! I have a pair of smoked rears which are 100% legal and have the hella stamps on!

Im looking for a swap but not for the standard rears, looking for the gti ones really, what are your rears?
Heyy man just got back in, So didn't get chance to reply.. Mine were just standard mk4 rear's im afraid :(

But Gave it a shot with the tinting spray, just a nice fine coat and they've came out fine!

Now to de-wiper the beast and get some photos up!

(had some problem trying to do the side repeaters so gonna buy some ready smoked ones off the bay so it looks a bit better

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ive seen some nicely sprayed ones on other cars. All depends on the sprayer, can look tacky if its too dark. Nice subtle light tint finish to it looks good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts