Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im about to change my timing belt on the PD130 60k. a mechanic i know that works for VW claimed i should have a water pump on standby when im changing belt, has anyone here had to do this?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Yep, heard this before and it's quite routine on other cars. Altough I havn't had to deal with it my my Golf as yet (bought after cambelt was changed).

Basically if the engine is stripped down to allow a belt change anyway it makes perfect sense to change the pump anyway. I don't know what you get with VW but typically when you change a belt, you'd buy a kit which would include:-

the belt (obviously)

tensioner

idler pully(s)

I would suggest, especially if you intend to keep the car AND for peace of mind, for the sake of an extra ?40-50 (or whatever they cost) that you get the water pump changed as well. The last thing you want is to have happen, habving spent ?200-300 (or whatever) getting the belt changed is that your water pump fails which would result in a knackered engine. (i've heard, but don't know for sure that the pully on the pump is plastic and that for me, would mean a definite change!).

I think it would be a false economy NOT to get the pump changed, that if unless your selling the car..... which would mean that any future MKIV member who bought your car would be at risk .... LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
funny you should say this i done my cam belt on Tuesday and changed the pulley and water pump both very sticky and noisey but the roller pulley that is by th adjuster was noisey to. So i phoned vw for a part and ?18 but had to wait 2 days so I phoned local motor factors and had to buy a kit ?52 which cam with the hydraulic adjuster, so everything is new on mine after 60.000 but i couldnt belive the noise the water pump made

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Hi mate, definately get the water pump done, as the impeller which drives the coolant around the engine, is made of plastic, when i had mine changed at 60K with the timing belt ,there were these small tiny cracks in the plastic, after some time these cracks allow the impeller to disintigrate, with the obvious consequences, the water pump from a vw stealer was ?20 , not bad for a stealer.

zak

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi there. My tensioner was about to go at 30,000 miles which was a little strange. Anyway, the 2 timing belts were replaced plus the tensioner. I told the garage dude to change the water pump but he said he checked it and it wasnt necessary. I said i didnt care about the 20 quid plus labour but he made a point of saying it was not necessary. I eventually gave up and left it to him. Reading this though makes me think... Anyway - cost me about 200 (labour included)

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Right guys.. just rung my local stealer.. (normally very good), and took 7 mins on the phone to get a quote.. [xx(]

?32.00 for water pump

?23.50 for cam belt

?44.50 for tensioner

?161 for fitting

Total : ?261 for cambelt and water pump change. Does that sound good ? Is there anything else on that parts list that I should know about / add on ?

Cheers guys [:D]

·
Registered
639 Posts
Quote: posted by tylerama on 21/10/2004 17:30:12

Right guys.. just rung my local stealer.. (normally very good), and took 7 mins on the phone to get a quote.. [xx(]

?32.00 for water pump

?23.50 for cam belt

?44.50 for tensioner

?161 for fitting

Total : ?261 for cambelt and water pump change. Does that sound good ? Is there anything else on that parts list that I should know about / add on ?

that sounds very good.

i was worried that it was near ?500 as i have herd its a 4 hour job.

?75ph X4 + parts = ?500.

glad its not that much.

your on your first belt arnt you dan?

did you have 60k+ on the clock, im near 50K now [:(]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Yes I thought it was nearer ?500. When I was in the queue at my local dealers for some parts I was looking at the 'service cost menu' thing they had on the wall and could have sworn that it was ?480. I don't know if that includes the 60k service as well ? ... I don't think it does ?

According the the print out that the previous owner, HSBC leasing, left with the documents for my car, (and looking at it now) when it had it's 60k service it cost a total of ? 622.72 that did include 60k service front and rear pads plus brake fluid change and wiper blades.

Is your car a PD engine'd TDI ?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Idler pulley - 20 quid. G12 coolant. ( tenner ) And while it's off 1 purple beer token for the alternator drive belt..

Scott

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by Caged on 22/10/2004 09:05:17

Idler pulley - 20 quid. G12 coolant. ( tenner ) And while it's off 1 purple beer token for the alternator drive belt..

Scott

1 purple beer token ???? Please explain ?? [:D]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by HuDSoN on 21/10/2004 20:42:28

?32.00 for water pump

?23.50 for cam belt

?44.50 for tensioner

?161 for fitting

that sounds very good.

?75ph X4 + parts = ?500.

glad its not that much.

I'm on 58,800 at the moment, Paul. Yes, first belt, as afaik. There's no record of a change in the book, anyway. My mate (who ripped the front valance off a coupla weeks ago ?) he has his serviced at eurocanterbury and he said to me they charged him ?330 to do just a cambelt change.. i think might have been water pump too.. i'll mail him and ask in a sec.. i'm gonna ring EuroCanterbury later on and confirm pricing then go to St. G's this afternoon and get a definite price as they didn't seem to know what they were on about yesterday. I'll update this when I have def prices [:D]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by tylerama on 22/10/2004 10:34:02

?32.00 for water pump

?23.50 for cam belt

?44.50 for tensioner

?161 for fitting

that sounds very good.

?75ph X4 + parts = ?500.

glad its not that much.

I'm on 58,800 at the moment, Paul. Yes, first belt, as afaik. There's no record of a change in the book, anyway. My mate (who ripped the front valance off a coupla weeks ago ?) he has his serviced at eurocanterbury and he said to me they charged him ?330 to do just a cambelt change.. i think might have been water pump too.. i'll mail him and ask in a sec.. i'm gonna ring EuroCanterbury later on and confirm pricing then go to St. G's this afternoon and get a definite price as they didn't seem to know what they were on about yesterday. I'll update this when I have def prices [:D]

Riiight, finally got thro to eorucanterbury.. it then took them ten minutes on the phone to give me a price fully fitted.. Unfortunately, it's ?374.. fully fitted ! shame they couldn;t have told me that last night.. oh well.. back to try St. Georges garage this afternoon and then make a decision. I'll update you with a price later on. [:D]

·
Registered
836 Posts
Quote: posted by tylerama on 22/10/2004 10:30:07

Scott

20 quid note is purple...

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by Caged on 22/10/2004 11:23:34

Quote: posted by tylerama on 22/10/2004 10:30:07

Scott

20 quid note is purple...

Oh right.. nooob [:D] So, do the alternator drive belt at the same time ??[?][?]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by tylerama on 22/10/2004 11:04:08

Quote: posted by tylerama on 22/10/2004 10:34:02

?32.00 for water pump

?23.50 for cam belt

?44.50 for tensioner

?161 for fitting

that sounds very good.

?75ph X4 + parts = ?500.

glad its not that much.

Riiight, finally got thro to eorucanterbury.. it then took them ten minutes on the phone to give me a price fully fitted.. Unfortunately, it's ?374.. fully fitted ! shame they couldn;t have told me that last night.. oh well.. back to try St. Georges garage this afternoon and then make a decision. I'll update you with a price later on. [:D]

Riiiight, been on the phone to St. Georges garage.

?292.19, Cambelt (and associated parts), Water pump, VAT and fitting.

Not a bad price, so i'm goin' on thursday to have it all sorted [:D]

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
I dont know what engine you have , or if it should make a difference if its a turbo lump or not, but when i got my belt changed , i made sure that the bolts that hold the engine mount nearest the timing belt were changed at the same time, were only talking a couple of pounds, but they are important, as they are stretch bolts, ie use once, and this has been confirmed by AMD and my local stealer, there have also been at least two topics by other members on this forum, who`ve had the belt changed, but not the engine mount bolts, only for the bolts to break!!!!,whilst theyre driving, NOT GOOD, make sure theryre changed.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
interesting you say about the water pump as i had a 60k services at 58k but told them not to change the belt. the next day the water pump went.... the upside of that was that they replaced the water pump under warranty and while they were there did the belt too so i only had to pay for the parts for the belt and no labour!

I suspect that they fiddled it to save me money as it would have cost me 650 all in for the service and belt change. of course i cant say if that _was_ the case...

·
Registered
41 Posts
tylerama where is st georges???

This sounds amazingly cheap to me!

I was quoted in the region of ?350 to change just the belt!

Do you have a tdi>?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts