Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - hope you can help me...

I need to replace the timing belt on my standard 1.8T Gti. I called VW this moring for a quote on parts this is what they said:

Timing Belt - 24.00

Tensioner - 46.70

Water Pump - 57.21 (best to replace whilst in there I am told)

My local motor factors came back with a quote for a Timing Belt Kit at a price of 114.36, and water pump at 23.66.

The question is - what extra is in the kit compared to what VW have quoted me and do I need it?

Does anyone know who makes the parts for VW, and where I could source them myself outside of VW - and what parts I actually need? Water pump also - or where the best place is to source kit/all parts I need?

Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Peter - did you buy your parts from VW, rather than a kit from a motor factors?

Would prefer to by VW parts - but would like to know exactly which parts I need. I've asked my local dealer about a new clutch also and think they have omitted to explain that I should also replace the flywheel too - I'm not too hot on these cars, so any info you can give me on either would be appreciated

Phil

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
Chris-the guy at TPS said the hydraulic tensioner is like 70 odd quid making the whole kit come in at over 160 quid! Thats sound right to you?

Phil-Got my stuff from TPS mate.

Peter

·
pauly4226
935 Posts
been reading this thread, ?160 seem about the right price for a complete kit including the hydraulic tensioner.gates or continentall are about the best for aftermarket kits.sorry chris,but i would always try to buy a water paump with a metal impellor,the plastic ones"age harden" then fall off the shaft of the water pump.will prob take you about 4-5 hrs to fit in all.haynes manuals are always a good investmant as well. good luck.sorry about the blank previous post damn laptop !

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi - hope you can help me...

I need to replace the timing belt on my standard 1.8T Gti. I called VW this moring for a quote on parts this is what they said:

Timing Belt - 24.00

Tensioner - 46.70

Water Pump - 57.21 (best to replace whilst in there I am told)

My local motor factors came back with a quote for a Timing Belt Kit at a price of 114.36, and water pump at 23.66.

The question is - what extra is in the kit compared to what VW have quoted me and do I need it?

Does anyone know who makes the parts for VW, and where I could source them myself outside of VW - and what parts I actually need? Water pump also - or where the best place is to source kit/all parts I need?

Thanks

Phil
thats pretty cheap i think i payed 147 for my timingbelt kit.

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
Chris thats not fitted! 60 odd quid for WP with surcharge so get 30 back when i take my old one back in. 80 odd for cambelt kit and now 70 quid for hydraulic tensioner?!

Peter

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
Sounds about right. I think the belt, roller tensioner, and the little roller came to £75 from VW. Didnt get a hydraulic tensioner even tho i did ask specifically for the kit with it.

I got a waterpump from local motor factors....£17 all in with no surcharge.

Chances are you can get a whole kit from a motor factors for about £120ish at most.

Dont put down the motor factors parts....chances are, theres well over 80% of cars running non genuine parts at the end of the day.....but some people prefer the genuine stamp VW add onto parts.

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
Ok then mate. Alot more then i thought it would be but oh well needs must. You got a link to a hydraulic tensioner that can be had at a half decent price? Thanks Nick.

Peter

1 - 20 of 36 Posts