Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been doing some thinking (dangerous I know!)

I have had an urge to buy a Anniversary TDI or 180t for a while now, always wanted one!

Now that they are dropping in some cases below 13k I am starting to think that it could be possible to finally own one!

I'll give you some back-ground on my golf first (obviously would have to sell this first to facilitate a sale)....

Black 5dr 1999 V reg Golf 2.0 GTI (please dont scoff, I love it).

I bought it for 6350 a year and a half ago, fantastic condition 98,000 miles. I have now done 122,000 miles and it is costing a lot to run! - servicing etc is fine.

I am thinking if I sell it now I wont loose too much money.

Anyway, I have done a few mods and here is spec:

A/C Red sports seats

Single CD player and 6 CD changer (fitted myself, OEM)

H&R Springs -35 mm (on standard shocks- runs fine)

Montreal 2 (immaculate - bought a year ago)

Polo MK5 Rear wiper

Aero front wipers

FVWSH (until 2003) (serviced by a friend), cam belt changed when purchased, water pump and radiator replaced (OEM) and serviced regularly, new front discs and pads(OEM), new wishbones(OEM), new exhaust (OEM).

It is lovingly cleaned and taken care of, clearkoted most weeks and the alloys waxed each week.

I am not trying to sell it here, just trying to get a gauge if it will still sell ok, for around the 6k mark, I realise the miles are high and it is not the most desired model.

Here is a pic or 2:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So there it is, my car!

I have to add that I have a personal loan and still have some 3k to still pay off on it.

So the Anni TDI! Other than the 32 its my dream car, the ultimate between power, style and cost effectiveness! I travel from Cambs to Norwich or Oxford a fair bit and do some business travel, so I think I would benefit.

Ideally I would love black one, but would consider a silver one. It would have to be as close to the 10k mark as possible, not worried about milage and has to be in good nick and had the wheels replaced! - 2 years old would be perfect. The search will be a long and hard one!

Looked on the register and there is one that has catched my eye in York, but not sure on colour - have emailed.

So say I sold my car for 6k, thats a deficit of say another 5k or so, now I have 3k left to pay off so I would have to extend my loan 5k, leaving and 8k loan.. Yikes scarey thought.

However I am living with my dad, for I hope the next 2 years and have nearly 1k in shares I could pull on. I have a decent job (pharma marketing), degree educated and currently studying for a post grad diploma, so I would like to think I am employable! - could be wrong!

So what do you think guys, should I start the search or am I being bananas! I would be dropping 2drs, but I have no kids!

images from GTI registry! {hope its ok to use them}

Posted Image

Posted Image

I saw a few at the first cambs meet and loved it, I am not worried about the MK5, these are a bit of GTI history.

If my GF knew I was even thinking about doing this she would go mad! lol

Gimme your thoughts! [:eek:)]

The others options are a Seat or Audi or a Mk4 130bhp TDI and modd it to hell, but I expect I would pay the same amount anyway!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah, Parkers price thingy:

2.0 GTi 5d 1999/V

Average mileage: 50,000 miles

Cost New ('99)

? 16575

Dealer Retail

? 7540

Private Good

? 6320

Private Poor

? 4815

Part Exchange

? 5510

Thinking again, 6k will be a challenge perhaps?

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you are OK with the finances why not. 130s are heading towards the ?13k mark at the stealers so an Anni for similar money might have been 'well used'. I'd love the 150TDI Anni. Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the vote of confidence mate, at the moment I am thinking a while down the line, but the more I think about it the better it sounds.....

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Foxy, how could I forget!

It has your old V6 4m front valance on it too! - really improves the front. Thanks again for that...

Hmmm, now to do some maths and talk to the AA about a car loan! lol

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I don't know that there's much to add really. They're great cars, the TDi will hold it's value better but you'll struggle to find one for 13k or less that is in top condition.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
i'd only consider a TDI, and i think that would really be best for you too. If you can afford it now, then got for it, if not, wait a little longer.

Make sure you don't attend any meets in the meantime with any Anni's attending, especially James' (Reflex_TDi).

Of course, if you put a sensible hat on, i would save keep your current car, and save your money for a deposit on your own place. I know which i would rather have.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Quote: posted by Wish on 01/10/2004 08:53:52

Black Annis are the fastest ;-)

It is true!

But

only with the sun shining from behind the car.....we all know black absorbs light and all those light photons help to push the car a little bit faster.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Of course, if you put a sensible hat on, i would save keep your current car, and save your money for a deposit on your own place. I know which i would rather have

You are very correct - but I have at least a 2 year wait till my gf has even finished uni!

I suppose I can always sell the anni when that time comes to free up some cash, but I doubt there will be much point.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote: posted by oxford on 01/10/2004 09:15:03

I suppose I can always sell the anni when that time comes to free up some cash

true, but your only going to lose money on the car, and make money on a flat. The choice is yours [!].

·
Registered
293 Posts
Buy, buy, buy, but only if you find exactly what you are looking for. Its too easy to be tempted just because you've got a bee in your bonnet. If the right car comes along though, you'd be a fool to let it go.

Quick question, why did you replace your wishbones ?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am very tempted indeed and it is the car I am after, however I think I will wait a LITTLE longer to the price to slip nearer 10k then pounce!

I replaced the wishbones because the ball joints were shagged and replaced the whole unit instead, did improve the feel of the car considerably..... [:)]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.