Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting computer after Christmas onces prices and
sales come in to effect, however since I built my last PC (3 years ago)
I have'nt been paying much attention to new technology.

I know roughly what I would like but my main problem is memory and motherboard.

I am looking at a "Athlon 4400+ Dual Core Processor" but I am not sure
what motherboard would best accommodate this. I am also seriously
considering a sapphire x1800xl 256mb graphics card so the board would
have to take this aswell.

What motherboard and memory type would you recommend? Is DDR2 good nowadays?

Many thanks

John

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Ok using that processor your going to need a socket 939 motherboard and also ensure its PCI-Express for that graphics card. Forget DDR2 as its not needed for a 939 motherboard. If you like to overclock look for a DFI Lanparty motherboard, if not then I like MSI motherboards but its down to personal preference really. The 1800 is a nice graphics card but too much money for my liking as your never going to get the true potential out of the card due to motherboard bottlenecks. Id go with the X850XT and spend the money elsewhere. Make sure you get a good power supply too, you'll need it. Something like a ocz powerstream 600w.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I had the Hiper 580W Type R PSU lined up. Whats the best RAM I can
go for? I notice a lot of people were talking about Asus Deluxe mboards
but I'm not sure how good they are either
Tongue Tied [:S]

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The hiper would be fine. The asus are good boards but go for the SLI version even if you dont intend to use SLI. As for memory, go on the crucial website and use their handy configurator. Crucial are good all round memory if you dont intend to overclock and even if you do, their ballistix range is qutie good and are less fussy than corsair.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Im currently building a new one myself (something which I seem to do every few months). Im going to be using an overclocked opteron 170 (dual core) which should be good for about 2.6 ghz (some have had them as high as 3ghz) plus you get the 1mb cache which you dont get on many of the normal athlon 64 x2's. Also intending on using 4gb of corsair DDR400 low latency ram, OCZ powerstream 600w PSU, 1 x 74gb 15,000 rpm raptor and also a 400gb for bulk storage. All this in a micro atx case too.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I just built myself the start of a new pc and reccomened Asus. I wanted to replace my graphics card with a PCI express, so replaced the mobo, but using my exisitng CPU for now which is the AMD 64 3600 winchester core, but the asus board can take the X2 chip when I can afford that. I put it in to a nice new antec case along with the antec phantom power supply. I wanted to built my rig for performance, but with virtually no noise. And I now have my dream.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I would also go with the DFI over any current Asus or Abit boards, the current lanparty has a great reputation.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would just like to stick a vote in for intel as they are also worth
looking at, i have a intel pentium d 3.2Ghz @ 3.52ghz with 2 GTX cards
in SLI and it very quick indeed.

Worth looking into.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I have always preffered AMD over Intel (I don't want to start a
huge debate, it's just something I have always liked). I was also
looking at boards with crossfire technology for the ATI cards.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
The SLI really isn't worthwhile. The benefits it gives are so slight
that it really doesn't justify spending another ?300-400 on another
card.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The SLI really isn't worthwhile. The benefits it gives are so slight that it really doesn't justify spending another ?300-400 on another card.
according to Toms Hardware if you're into your games then it shows a marked increase in graphics capability

i too am in favor of AMD over intel...so much better value for money

and yeah the CrossFire does look very interesting because you don't have to use 2 identical cards and its much more capable and adaptable than SLI

1 - 20 of 20 Posts