Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was unsure if i was going to keep the golf or not so i have decided to put her up for sale and see how i get on

now my question is if i sell her i want to go newer and was thinking of a newer golf

but do i go

1.8T ?

PD TDI?

or 4motion ?

opinions and experiences please folks

p.s car is in the for sale section for those who might be looking [;)]

·
Registered
35 Posts
V6 4Motion! not that i'm biased tho! lol!

4WD rules, and i love the growl of the V6! its got a constant pull from about 700 revs all the way to the limiter!, but you might miss the kick in the back from the turbo.. test drive a few and see what you like the best.. [:D]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
PD150/180, economy AND 'shoved back in your seat' power!
audi 1.8T quatro with a dirty big 350bhp turbo conversion. all the traction you want with some serious power. if i knew about these before i got the golf i would have got one!

·
Registered
48 Posts
1.8T all day long.get it chipped and you wont stop smiling.ive just had the revo free trial software and it brought a huge smile to my face each time i planted my foot on the go pedal :D

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Depends on what ur requirements are?

Ultimate power ? - 1.8T

Ultimate economy? - Diesel

Engine note, grip, traction, potentially best handling - 4motion.

1.8T'ts are the easiest to make go fast, Diesel's give great
combination of power and economy, but 4wd (and independant rear
suspension) makes for a better all round drive.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Depends on what ur requirements are?

Ultimate power ? - 1.8T
Ultimate economy? - Diesel

Engine note, grip, traction, potentially best handling - 4motion.

1.8T'ts are the easiest to make go fast, Diesel's give great combination of power and economy, but 4wd (and independant rear suspension) makes for a better all round drive.
Well said! [:)]

·
Registered
874 Posts
Can't argue with the fly guy!

All are great cars but all are for different people.

If you do a fair few miles then it has to be the TDI PD. You can get stonking performance without having to sacrifice economy.

If running costs don't bother you, then a 1.8T can be picked up for a bit cheaper than the equivalent TDI and will be very easily tuned to silly power. And you don't have to put up with people trying to 'hail' you on a Saturday night outside the kebab shop.

Finally if you just want an 'out of the box' good car go for the 4mo. Engine tuning is limited but then again it is pretty quick to start with and you can still do all the cosmetic mods you want. And the noise.........

·
Registered
646 Posts
TDI PD 150 - Get it tuned and have Ultimate performance and Economy ;)) ....but as others have said im Bias!......I love the Golf but If I were to get a petrol it wouldn't be the 1.8T or 4motion as good as they are it would be a Civic Type R

·
Registered
35 Posts
What bhp would a chipped 1.8t be putting out? would it be more than a 4motion? i think my 4motion has been chipped and the bloke i got it from said it had about 215-220 bhp. i thought the 1.8t's had 150 bhp standard, or is it 180 bhp?

·
Registered
906 Posts
I would either have a V6 or pd150.

As said above the sounds from the v6 leaves a big smile on your face and the pd150 for the punch in back while driving and for the economy.

What about the Cupra R? Same size as the 5door golf but the nice 225brake 1.8t!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cupra-r is very nice but for the money there are others i would consider

civic type-r is a defo no no as i have driven one twice now and yeah they are great cars to drive they dont come with much in side

i think i might test drive all three and see how i like each

then again i have been having second thoughts about selling [:D]

might end up spending some cash on the one i have as although its a T plate and its had problems in the past its all sorted now and i know it inside out

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Craigy boy it's a bird puller for you none of the rest will do it has to be the R32 [;)]
would have one in a sec if i knew no stinking scumbag wouldnt try nick it or carjack it

still waiting to get a blast in yours mate so lets hope you make the meet on sunday [:D]

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
then again i have been having second thoughts about selling [:D]

might end up spending some cash on the one i have as although its a T plate and its had problems in the past its all sorted now and i know it inside out
I'm in the same boat - not sure whether to sell up or not. Tempted by the PD130 and PD150 mk4s but also the Audi A3 2.0 TDIs and BMW diesels!

I need the economy and power but I just can't seem to justify selling and buying something else given I'm not likely to gain much from it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts