Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GOLF MK4 1.4 16v.

Mine slightly squeeks and 100% know its the belt. If it tightens and continues to squeek I belive it needs a new belt. But if I tighten it and squeek goes then a new belt isn't needed. Just woundering on my 1.4 model what bolt do you tighten to tighten the belt? Thanks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok brilliant. So basically undo the bolt. New belt. Tighten bolt and the automatic tensioner will tighten it for me? Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
there should be a little needle on the tensioner, use a tarox tool in the hole, when it meets the centre point its fine, then tighten it up fully

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How can you tell if the tensioner is past its time? A belt would be ok for now untill I can afford a tensioner and then replace that next month ?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All done. Just needed a new belt. Sounds fine. Thanks for the help people.

Next job is the stiff 1st gear lol.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dubpower you where correct lol. :)

Under the car, 16mm spanner pushing clockwise, small allen key in the hole. Take the belt off. New belt, remove allen key. Bobs your uncle lol..

Any information about the 1st stiff gear? Heard it was something to do with gear linkage and to spray, grease spray onto the rings or rubbers or something? Also remove the gear gaitor and spray in there too? Common problem,?

Thanks buddie.

·
Registered
61 Posts
ah I had the same problem ;)

have not heard that one but the starter motor can get stuck and you need to grease the nipple to stop it from sticking

1 - 13 of 13 Posts