Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mk4 2.0 gti is making a 'ticking' noise whilst idling. I only notice it when the cars stopped and its relatively quiet around me.

Doesnt sound bad, but i was wondering has anyone else experienced this, or are there any ideas as to what it is???

ta

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
A bomb.... ?

No seriously, it could be any number of different things, most likely i'd say is a worn / sticky tappet.

How many miles / how old is your car ?

·
Registered
752 Posts
hmm.. Mine does this aswell, i only hear when i open the bonnet, it sounds like a loose engine cover part, rattling (which happened on my polo), but its coming from somewhere no where near the engine cover.. I've never bothered with it cos 'out of sight out of mind', and it's been into the dealer recently for other issues and they never said anything.. not sure if they would though..

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had a similar thing to this. It didnt do it all the time but whenit did you niticed the ticking..VW said it was a charcoal filter or something like that. When it starts again open the bonnet and have a look around the washer bottle, thats where mine is(1.8T). They said its normal

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote: posted by 0w3n on 12/01/2005 13:44:17

I had a similar thing to this. It didnt do it all the time but when it did you niticed the ticking..VW said it was a charcoal filter or something like that. When it starts again open the bonnet and have a look around the washer bottle, thats where mine is(1.8T). They said its normal

Yep I asked this same question when I had the GTI and recently with the 4mo (although its much quieter in the 4mo) and got the same answer. its like a black box thingy in front or behind the washer

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I had this recently when I called VW Assistance to look at my misfire. The guy said it was the injectors.. apparently it's normal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep, could be a hydraulic tappet which is tired, but from my days as a mechanic lots of fuel injected cars tick, and it almost sounds like noisy tappets. Might be nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
my god, this forum is incredible!

after the v5/v6 fan problems i decided ignorance wasn't bliss and when i got home from work just now i popped the bonnet to have a look to see if my fans worked ok (which thankfully they do!).

while i was looking i heard a ticking from the black box in between the washer bottle and the coolant tank and i was just about to ask what the box was and what this ticking was!!

thanks very much for putting my mind at rest so quick [:D]

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had the same the other day. MK4 2.0 GTI.

This was louder after my last oil change. So changed again for decent fully synth and that did the job and restored more power too.

If you use cheap oil it will burn very quickly in a Golf and will start to tap.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would say that its the injectors aswell. I can hear mine ticking after a long journey, so i'd say there is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The ticking coming from the black box by the washer bottle is the purge valve operating on the EVAP system, and is perfectly normal. It is releasing stored fuel vapours back into the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also, i only notice the ticking after the cars been driven for a while. I use decent oil (i think - shell optimax or something not that cheap).

i'll check after getting home tonight under the bonnet so see if i can locate the prob. Hopefully nopthing serious.

thanks for the replies guys..

·
Registered
476 Posts
My 2.0 does this as well. Coincidence that you mention it as i only noticed it at Xmas after I had driven up to Scotland, got out the car and thought 'i'm sure this isn't normal'. Sounds like it is though. Stevie P's explanation sounds good to me.

Cheers,

Craig.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Make sure you check your oil (idiotic as it may sound, that could be your valves hitting your pistons) which... isn't good. =D Don't take that the wrong way.. just trying to rule out all errors.

·
Registered
42 Posts
sometimes my tdi does this on a cold startup idle.

not mechanical, sounds electronic like a solenoid on/off. it's like a small clock ticking inside.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote: posted by kold-fusion on 16/01/2005 05:57:37

Make sure you check your oil (idiotic as it may sound, that could be your valves hitting your pistons) which... isn't good. =D Don't take that the wrong way.. just trying to rule out all errors.

No offence taken!we need to check everything, as you never know![:D]

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Just so I dont feel left out!! I queried this a number of months ago with the dealership, and to re-iterate, yes its very much normal!!! recirc of exhaust type stuff.[:D]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts