Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate has got a ticket for going through a red light. This includes a fine and 3 points.

Thing is, he didnt actually go through it. He had an ambulance come up behind him (2 cars back) with it's lights on and siren going. The car behind was able to let the ambulance get by (ambulance squeezed through as railings at the side). My mate moved forward to let them through, paramedic in the ambulance put his hand up (passenger side) to say thanks, mate stayed across the line, then went when the light changed to green.

Week later he has a ticket promising him a fine (?60) and 3 points.

He contacted the local hospital and they can tell exactly who was on duty and driving the ambulance at the time of the offence, the ambulance driver has agreed to be witness that he moved soley to let the emergency services through and the hospital is willing to prove that the ambulance was on an emergency.

However, the people he has rung have said this will not matter and it is an offence under traffic act blah blah to run a red light. He's now got a few days to sign his name and make himself guilty, before he's guilty of not signing (could mean extra charges).

He has got the photo and it does not show the ambulance, but show's him pulled to the side. Obviously a photo of the ambulance would be at the place that deals with this, but they won't release this.

Is this really true? Is he actually guilty? Hospital people have said they are willing to help as they were on a cardiac call. The people he is dealing with are having non of it and say he broke traffic regulations regardless of it being an emergency. Apparently he was supposed to sit there until the traffic light turned green, clear the junction and then let the ambulance pass?

Anyone care to give me any useful comments so that I can pass them on to him!? Surely if there is any sense in this country he can't be charged for moving out of the way of an emergency vehicle?!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I believe thats correct EJO, as my old college lecturer was a bit matey with a few police officers

Used to tell us tons of stories like this one.

When moving out the way of an emergancy vehicle you cant break the speed limit etc... basically all normal road acts apply.

There is no way i would go past a red light with an emergancy vehicle behind me, trust me ive been there. Nothing like having a fire truck right up your behind with the sirens and lights all blaring, other road users were looking at me like i had done something wrong.

Sure, your first instict is to move out the way. and thats how its should be.....hence helping them get to the scene faster.

Would like to hear about this from somebody who knows a whole lot more about it though.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Graham, not the first time i've heard this, two mates have been done for this... Never been put in that situation, so no idea what I'd do, but it is typically scheiser, that if you try and help you get stung for it.

C

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm actually lost for words then. What a load of rubbish.

So, this raises, for me anyway, a whole bunch of what if's.

My first scenario would be having the cops up your rear sirens blaring. Do you move and get done, or sit there holding them up until the light turns green and then carry on on your way, risking them having you for getting in the way of police business? Theres a proper name for it, cant remember it.

Bit of a catch 22 situation.

So my mate is actually in the wrong? He's going to have to take the hit of a fine and, most importantly, 3 points? He's already on 6 for speeding (prety much the same as me, 68 in a 60 and 82 in a 70.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted! Truly I am!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
From what I remember from my driving course (6 years ago!) driving on blues is a privilege, not a right. Therefore, if people don't want to move for you then they are not at fault.

Bit if a bummer that he's getting done even though the hospital/ambulance crew are willing to provide evidence that they were on a genuine emergency.

I'll dig out my driving manual and double check if it says anything else though.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well if it's illegal for the person to move over the red line, maybe people like yourself claire should turn off your blues and two's at the red lights and sit patiently like the rest of us!

How trivial can it get though. Someone obviously in a life and death situation don't count....?60 fine and 3 points please! It's safety you know, regardless of if someone is dying, quite literally.

It's all far to over the top, and they still say its for safety not money.

Claire, how rude would you think I was and what kind of gestures would you give me if I sat there in front of you, blocking your path while your on the way to save someones life. Maybe sitting there for 2 minutes, even though I can move.

Bet the coppers would have something to say if I sat there in front of them getting in the way, but if it ever happens to me, sod off am I moving.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
I can't quite believe what I'm reading!!!! If they don't withdraw the fine and points, I'd go to the press - especially as your mate has a witness!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
.Claire, how rude would you think I was and what kind of gestures would you give me if I sat there in front of you, blocking your path while your on the way to save someones life. Maybe sitting there for 2 minutes, even though I can move.
I would try and find another way round if there is one, like going on the opposite side of the road. That way the camera would snap the ambulance. TBH from my point of view it's surprising how many people are afraid to cross the white line at a red light even if there is no camera. They would rather knacker their suspension by driving up the kerb. Even when the light changes to green they are still trying to get up on the kerb, even though it's safe and legal for them to pull forward a few feet.

I feel sorry for your mate though, especially as he has evidence stacked in his favour. It's not something I've heard about happening round here, probably because we haven't got that many red light cameras.

·
Registered
409 Posts
There must be a seperate photo in that case; of the ambulance going through the red light as well, even if his car is not in the picture. But the time and date would be really near and therefore support his argument.

Unless the ambulance waited for the light to go green first [:p]

·
Registered
942 Posts
I do believe even the emergency services can get in to trouble for running a red. For instance, if I went on a green and an ambulance/police car/fire engine hit me side on, then they would be in a lot of trouble, and not necessarily me for not going on green without due care and attention.

It really does suck, and unfortunately for your mate I think he will have to pay the fine and take the points. Very harsh indeed, they could at least waiver the points for a good deed. It's not like he crossed the junction, only the white line.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I went through a red light last night to let an ambulance through, it was safe to do so and i wasnt about to ram my car up the curb, iv done it quite a few times, not gone right through to the other side of the traffic just nudged forward and pulled over to allow the ambulance to pass, i know its against the law, but its a stupid law

if the manover was safe people should NOT be prosecuted for this

your mate should take it to court and ask the judge how he would feel if a member of his family was in the ambulance and someone didnt move out the way, despite it being safe to do so, potentially putting the person in the backs life at risk.

in your mates case they should their common sence, from what you said he didnt boot it across a row of traffic and so didnt put anyone in danger.

the laws in the country constantly amaze me

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
The posted incident happened to me recently, I pulled over in front of the guy on my left, and then (seeing the traffic on my right stopping for the ambulance) I floored it across the junction to stop from blocking it. If there had been a camera though I wouldn't have done it as, ludicrous as it is, I have heard stories like the above before...
TBH from my point of view it's surprising how many people are afraid to cross the white line at a red light even if there is no camera.? They would rather knacker their suspension by driving up the kerb.?
IMO people just seem to panic. They aren't paying attention, so they have no idea where the lights are coming from and when you appear they assume they have 3 seconds to react, so do some realy odd manouvers. I watched a guy just stop dead on a major roundabout - when he realised he was completely blocking the ambulance, he drove up onto the grass median of the roundabout and across the other side....hmm.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
What a mess this country`s laws are in!! Words fail me to describe how silly this is, still there is no way I will sit waiting for a red light to change green when an emergency service vehicle is behind me on a shout and live`s are at stake.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Also if you did take this story to your local press they would very interested I would say as Xmas & summer are silly season as there are normally no real news stories around & would pick up on these.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll be speaking to him later, so will pass all this on.

Trouble is, according to the law, he broke it, so taking it to court, he may have something to lose. I.e court costs and a geafty fine, which he simply cann't afford. He's just started teaching and has had to buy a house to get the job, so money is real tight. Plus I think a put off for him would be telling his new bosse's at the school that he needs to take some time off to go to court!

Then it's luck, which way will the judge go. You never know. Common sense would be to let it go, but if the judge does that, he's setting an example that it's ok to break the law.

I got told when I was learning to drive that you MUST let emergency services past. However then, there were not red light cameras. Take it you do not have to let them passed if you don't feel like it? I.e. it's not a requirement.

The thing that gets me is he's done for safety reasons, even though he was not in the way of anyone. Yet someone was probably dying, and he could have held the help up for a further minute or 2.

So how can you do someone on safety when you got an ambulance behind you!? Kinda contradict's itself. He didnt know what the ambulance was doing, where it was going. Could have been a major accident down the road, who knows. You can't just sit there in the way abiding the law! That's ridiculous!

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Heres some info (not sure if that is the right info):

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/information/bluelightuse.htm

"If you find yourself stopped at a red traffic light and become the sole vehicle blocking the route of an emergency vehicle, then it may well be worth moving forward a few meters to advance it?s progress. This does not mean driving through the junction, just moving forward by a car?s length if it is safe to do so. This is a motoring offence, but it would be a strong defence to say that you assisted the progress of an emergency vehicle, did not gain from the situation and maneuvered with safety in mind. If in any doubt at all then wait for the lights to change to green before moving out of the way of the emergency vehicle."

Thats an extract from the Sharing Roads Section

A friend got done for letting a Fire Engine coming the opposite way through by going on to the bus lane, 80 pounds fine. No points though

Hafizur

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is possible that the court would find him guilty (they would have to as technically he is!) but give him an absolute discharge as punishment - ie no punichment at all.

I'd take the chance - more for the points than anything. Yes he may get a bigger fine - but aren't they means tested these days and if money is as tight as you say then he may not get a bigger fine and may be able to pay in instalments, even if he loses!

Win / win in that case!!!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
If he's got witnesses I'd get a lawyer and dispute it in court. If he loses he could sell his story to the Daily Mail to cover his costs and fine!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Then it's luck, which way will the judge go. You never know. Common sense would be to let it go, but if the judge does that, he's setting an example that it's ok to break the law.
theres the problem, a judge will want to make sure this terrible crime is punished to the full extent of the law

mug someone on the other hand though and you get away with it

1 - 20 of 43 Posts