Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came up alongside a BMW 3 series today, realised it was driven by my girlfriends work collegue (who I know) smiled and waved and he gave me a *very* serious look, smiled and pointed at the road ahead.

Well *blow me* it pulled away from me- left me for dead really. His 3 is a new 204bhp 3.0 diesel and I'm here to tell you that these are a lot faster than your REVO'd PD150. In a straight line from rest upto 120kph it pulled a good distance on me. I never stood a chance.

Going to find out if he has had it chipped, if not I will be saying goodbye to the anniversary. Never happened to me in my last car I can tell you.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before the MKIV I had a modified Impreza circa 300bhp according to Well Lane's optimistic rollers.

Only thing that ever had the legs on me in a tussle was an EVO VII.

I was surprised at how the BMW went so well, must be a traction thing, my ESP light was flashing like crazy and my car just wasn't going anywhere.

These 2wd launches are going to take some more practice, thought I had it sussed but obviously a different matter when it's a lot colder and less traction.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote: posted by micky 32 on 18/02/2005 13:19:06

well it is 185 ish bhp against 204bhp

Yeah but it's ~1250kg vs. ~ 1500kg which gives a power to weight

advantage to the golf. Sounds like traction or Revo is very

peaky...

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought power/weight ratio might come into it but I was forgetting the lardy MKIV is probably the same weight as a 3!

I have the comfort of knowing my interior is far nicer though.[V]

Just had a look it's 1520kg V 1388Kg according to evo magazine.

As traction was an issue today that must be the reason. I can't accept that I'm just a crap driver.[:D]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by sammyboy on 18/02/2005 13:27:42

.... I can't accept that I'm just a crap driver.[:D]

PMSL[:D] neither can I[B)]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I weighed my car last year and I think it was 1340Kg without me in it. That was with an almost full tank of fuel.

I raced a 330D once and there wasn't a lot in it. It was on an empty motorway in the middle of summer and though he was faster it wasn't by much.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thing is there are 2 different 330D's. The 170bhp and 204bhp. The 170 I'm fairly sure I've had a go against in the MKIV and been fairly even. The 204bhp seemed a fair bit quicker.

It's cars from the late 2003 that have BHP I think, so you can't even look for the facelift as confirmation of power.

I only know this one was the higher power because since he got it all he's gone on about is how quick it is. Well today I guess he demonstrated it.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You'd also would have probably been better off controling any slip yourself rather than letting the VW traction control system cut the power. Only downside would have been more clutch wear.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by sammyboy on 18/02/2005 13:07:46

Well *blow me* it pulled away from me- left me for dead really. His 3 is a new 204bhp 3.0 diesel and I'm here to tell you that these are a lot faster than your REVO'd PD150. In a straight line from rest upto 120kph it pulled a good distance on me. I never stood a chance.

Don't feel too bad, I had a 330D coupe giving me the eye recently, I kept ignoring him but after approx 3 miles I gave in to the urge, played around with him in various gears, straights blah, blah, blah all in could spirits.....the 200+ bhp ones are pretty swifty oil burners and he wouldn't need to be chipped to out run you, power:weight ratio's considered.[;)]

·
Registered
907 Posts
330D is deff a worthy opponent and surely could blow away blenty other machines.

Loads of torque and silky a smooth engine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
thats it mate .. these new diesels are summin to be reckoned with ... they have loadsa low end torque .. and jus pull off veerrrrry quickly !!

my dads got a 320d .. 2ltr 150bhp with 236lbs torque !! when i drive his it feels alot more pokier than my 18T golf

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'm not trying to flame you or get a rise here (that was the 'bread' in my statement sandwich)

BUT

You're surprised that a 6-cylinder 3.0L TDi with over 200hp as stock has kicked your butt?

I give the 3.0D's healthy respect on the road....for that reason alone.

They kick ass........

Why do you think i'm hanging my proverbial nose over one?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
also the beemer is rear wheel drive.that will help getting the power down when pulling away.

if your still unsure sammy boy...how much for the anni.[:D]

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote: posted by Foxy on 18/02/2005 18:29:21

I'm not trying to flame you or get a rise here (that was the 'bread' in my statement sandwich)

BUT

You're surprised that a 6-cylinder 3.0L TDi with over 200hp as stock has kicked your butt?

I give the 3.0D's healthy respect on the road....for that reason alone.

They kick ass........

Why do you think i'm hanging my proverbial nose over one?

I'm not surprised as much as dismayed, reason being I thought I'd done better chosing a PD150+REVO over a 330d SE or Sport.

I'm thinking about trading it in for an older S4 at the moment.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Quote: posted by NikB on 18/02/2005 14:47:53

I weighed my car last year and I think it was 1340Kg without me in it. That was with an almost full tank of fuel.

I raced a 330D once and there wasn't a lot in it. It was on an empty motorway in the middle of summer and though he was faster it wasn't by much.

have mine weighing in at a nice 1250kgs[:D] who needs back seats[:eek:)]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts