Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about ordering GTI so went to a couple of dealers today - Wakefield & Leeds.

Both had red GTI's with leather and 17's, the alloys looked surprisingly OK although not so keen on the red paintwork. Both salesman said that the majority of cars ordered were specced with 17's and cloth. Black is a popular colour. No takers for white yet, although both said that it looked great in the flesh.

(And strangely enough no test drives until January!)

So, what do people here think about white, especially the residual value in a couple of years time?

Cheers,

Mike.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
From the pictures I have seen the white looks great. Old skool colour, set off nicely with the red callipers and trim. Cloth not leather I would think for white.

As for the residuals, its a risk I'm sure. White is allegedly making a comeback, so you could hope to lead and let others follow?

·
Registered
782 Posts
The cloth looks great !

Ive seen a car with the leather, and was disapointed with the quality.

The car i had to test drive for the day was Red 17" and cloth.

Lovely

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think residuals will be the worst of all colours but there was a pic of a white one on here a while back and I thought it looked OK TBH! If I was to get one it would be black though!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote: posted by Reflex TDI on 27/12/2004 18:55:54

As for the residuals, its a risk I'm sure. White is allegedly making a comeback, so you could hope to lead and let others follow?

Yep I keep reading that white is coming back. Salesman at Leeds reckoned that once people saw one in the flesh they would commit to ordering it, just waiting for that first one to come out (obviously they don't want to order one in as a demo just in case!).

How much worse could the residual be - if it was like ?500 or ?1000 then I wouldn't really be that bothered, it's just if it became much worse than that or an unsellable car?? I've had a yellow SEAT Ibiza and a yellow MX-5 and had no trouble in trading in either of them for book price in both cases.

Haven't seen cloth - leather at ?1645 is just a joke.

·
Registered
226 Posts
White does look really good, very oldskool and I quite like it. But its not going to appeal to everyone. Loads of MK1 and MK2 were sold in white and book price has shown that White cars are cheaper second hand, so residuals will be affected.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
White just doesnt look right IMO. Bad enough on the Mk3 and Mk4. The only White looker was the Mk1 for me but each to their own.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Still makes me wonder why the hell they cant paint the bloody valances and skirt! makes it look like a lesser trimmed model [:(]

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have owned about 5 white MK2 GTis over the years and I liked the colour on it and it suits the MK5 as well imo. It never looked quite right on the MK3 or MK4 to be honest. I think white looks the best when clean but is never that easy to keep clean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers for the response so far.

Has pretty much summed up what I already thought -

1. Some people really like the colour.

2. Most people don't (at least without seeing it in the flesh).

3. It will be worth less than, say, a black car.

4. Nobody is going to order one.

Looks like it may be up to me!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I always think white ages a car, especially when dirty. Ok so the salesman said white is coming back into fashion but then kipper ties were once fashionable. Would you wear one now? Fashion is a 5 minute wonder in my opinion. White doesn't sell these days for a reason.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I like the white and have also had white GTI's in the past, but doubt if id order mine in white. Mainly due to the hassle of keeping it clean. I think it really suits the mkV and your guarenteed rarity value. I actually like the unpainted finish of the skirts. This is again in keeping with the heritage of the MK1 and 2's. The only problem is that after a while it starts to go grey. Therefore I'd probably spray it black.

·
Registered
267 Posts
speaking from a paint sprayers point of veiw,all solid colours ie red/white/black/blue etc etc.tend to fade after a few years.most of the time its under the clearcoat so it dosnt matter how much you polish it,it wont make any difference.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
White is the new black. Trust me it will be back in fashion within a couple of years. However, were I to buy a new GTI it would either be Red or Black. Probably Red as I am terrible at cleaning my car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts