Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How rallying used to be until the ????? got in the way.

Just look at the way the spectators muck in to recover the Scooby.

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
If only they could bring back the group B cars,they had no equals!!!!! The world needs more RS200s and Metro 6R4s in PROPER rallying again[:'(]

·
Registered
392 Posts
If only they could bring back the group B cars,they had no equals!!!!! The world needs more RS200s and Metro 6R4s in PROPER rallying again[:'(]
OOh noooooo far to noisy and fast for people nowadays.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
That's fantastic stuff when was it? We used to go over to Chatsworth House in Derbyshire and the RAC was great in those days. We've just moved and I found some old photos of 1988 at Chatsworth so I've scanned them:

The top one is a Lancia Delta, and the bottom my mates Nova after trying to get out of the car park. After you did get out you could race along with the rally cars inbetween the stages, ahh the memories!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's fantastic stuff when was it? We used to go over to Chatsworth House in Derbyshire and the RAC was great in those days. We've just moved and I found some old photos of 1988 at Chatsworth so I've scanned them:

The top one is a Lancia Delta, and the bottom my mates Nova after trying to get out of the car park. After you did get out you could race along with the rally cars inbetween the stages, ahh the memories!!
Ah yes...I once followed Hannu Mikkolla out of the Clocaenog (near Ruthin) stage to Chester. I was tail piping him all the way. Most of the traffic moved through to let him through with me stuck on his bumper ! He was driving the Audi Quattro then. I was in a MK1 Golf 1.6 Gls ...going flat out. No doubt he was on idle.

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
That 6R4 rocks,definately a Kleenex moment on it's way.Saw an 8R4 at the Brighton speed trials a few years back,that was outta this world.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Caught these two lovely Lancias at Goodwood last year, I'd like to have seen the Stratos in it's day did manage to see the Group B Delta a couple of times in action.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
The good old days when the rally used to last a whole week and none of this poncy special stages on a race track. I remember always going down to the A5 in Cannock (I was about 5!) and watching them travel through from Shurgborough on their way to Wales for the proper hardcore stages!

It was always in November and I always remember that they always had snow on at least one of the stages! Global warming for you! End of November and its 11C!

I never see it now, it was always permanently on the TV on BBC 2 if I remember right, with Gwyndaff Evans always retiring in his cossie after putting it in a tree or something!!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember right, with Gwyndaff Evans always retiring in his cossie after putting it in a tree or something!!
Hey stop slagging off our local hero......................[;)]

·
Registered
890 Posts
that r5 turbo 2 is giving me a woody !!!
LOL, amazing aren't they?! Was in Spain for Rally Catalunya 2004, and saw 4 different ones over the space of a weekend!! Only managed to get photos of 3, and only seen 1 at show in the UK (red and blue Philips Radio colours one)

[Y]

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
they really are the muts nuts I have the phillips one in my gt4 garage with my startos, lancia 205 T16 Turbo and my starion.

And there was the red one in never say never again this afternoon they just look so purposefull no nonsense design !!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
they really are the muts nuts I have the phillips one in my gt4 garage with my startos, lancia 205 T16 Turbo and my starion.

And there was the red one in never say never again this afternoon they just look so purposefull no nonsense design !!
God I hope I never meet you in a "Supercar Paddock" at Goodwood or similar it will be like "Call In The Cops he looks like a Walrus....." and we'll watch them get out their laser sights. It'll be be like a cull....of large beasts that can't run away.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
You lost me are you trying to say I am geeky about r5 turbo 2's as I am guilty in that case no shame.

And cops would have no chance of shooting me or getting through my skin I am a new breed that has skin more like armour, the ladies love it !!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts