Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean I dont doubt its a descent motor, nissan make good cars, im sure itll last forever and drive well etc etc, especially with so few moving parts to wear out like in traditional cars BUT

My question is this, how green is it really? I mean its powered by electricity, rechargeable batteries, which you plug in, that electricity is drawn from the national grid which for the most part gets that energy from polution causing sources.

so if say everyone bought one, would we really just drive up polution in one place to save it in petrol fumes?

Also whats the carbon footprint of building one? I remember reading somewhere once that a prius for example took 4 or 5 times more energy to build than something similarly but more traditional, even that various parts were flown from around the world (on thirsty jets) to the factory to be put together.

All seems like somewhat of a con to me, i believe the only true "green" car would be a hydrogen fuel cell, producing its own power from hydrogen, and giving off only water as a byproduct. Sure, they would also take alot to build, how much exactly I dont know. But a car running on the most abundant thing in the universe and producing water is surely got to be the way forward?

I just think its all very marketing driven this green malarky, designed to take money from your pocket, more of an excuse to do so than a genuine problem. I mean yeah ok this december was the coldest one for something like 103 years, but that means in 1907 the winter was colder, well before this so called global warming started (and before we had central heating and the like!!)

Turned into a bit of a rant that didnt it lol,

opinions?

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so effecively the car has a lifespan of 9 years, no one is going to pay 8 grand on a car nearly ten years old.

So... these cars have half the lifespan of a petrol car aswell, so if they also take 3 or 4 times more energy to make, then you need 6 or 7 times as much energy to build an electric car that lasts as long as a petrol one.

all starts to come a bit unstuck really doesnt it.....

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
On a sidenote, if anyone knows of a skoda elmo rotting away please let me know, i want a mkiv electric car

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
A dont think i would ever give up the sound of a v6 grumble for that of an electric car where you have the play the engine noise on the stereo how embarasing.

Not that i own a v6......Yet! lol

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Plus the fact that the startibg price of the leaf and the prius is around £25,000, even with the goverment grant which takes it down to £21,000 a think al stick to my car, thanks

A think al go out for 110mile drive to calm myself down, what that i have an electric car with a range of only 100miles which then takes 13hours to fully charge I some how dont think so [8o|]

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Remember it's not all necessarily about being green in the sense of reducing emissions. There's always going to be emissions related to the manfacturing processes involved for vehicles.

Another big driver is the simple fact that oil is a finite and dwindling resource - they're running out of places to extract it from and the places it is found are getting increasingly more difficult to extract it from and it's only going to go up in price to reflect this. At some point in the future (although not necessarily the near future) it'll become such a rare commodity that it's not economically viable to use it as a fuel source in cars.

So it only makes sense to develop vehicles that use less petrol (or diesel if that's your persuassion) as it becomes more expensive and ultimately vehicles that don't use petrol or diesel at all. That kind of development doesn't just happen overnight and will take a long time to a) get right and b) get over the stigma that's attached to a vehicle that isn't powered by conventional means.

Although they're being sold to the general public there'll still be a large element of such cars being developmental for a time when they're the only choice and they will improve vastly as time goes on. For instance, that cars we drive now are a long way from the ones Karl Benz was knocking out 130 years ago which, lets be honest, are pretty shoddy by today's standards.

Jon.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Your stuffed if you have a power cut during the night with one of these [:DD],

I dont like the fact that at the moment they have a limited range you can travel and cant charge it up while your out.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
PLus your pretty screwed if you have street parking....are people going to be tripping over a big cable every 50yards?
I wouldnt be worried about people tripping over my cable although id probably get done on health and safety law if they did, I'd be more worried about someone coming along and unpluging it [lol-lol]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts