maybe a new engine! but the belt didn't snap so i'll have to wait and
see.......[:'(][:'(]

GTI T -Dead[:'(]

V64mo - sold![:(]

GT -Tdi - ???????????[:|]

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Is this related to recently having the cambelt replaced? I believe the procedure involves releasing an engine mount which is held by a stretch bolt which also must be renewed and cannot be put back in. Have they just put the old bolt back in the engine mount?

Thats how I read the other related thread.....

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Diesel, the cambelt was going to go in for a change next week along with the service, how ironic [:(]

Well it looks like a new engine!! The enging itself is fine, but the
point at where the engine is mounted to the body is broken!! cast
iron!!! My guy has managed to fine me a PD130 engine and if I want it
?700 all in! he is going to check it out to see if it is any good! if
not, then, guess who is looking for a new car.......

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Diesel, the cambelt was going to go in for a change next week along with the service, how ironic [:(]

Well it looks like a new engine!! The enging itself is fine, but the point at where the engine is mounted to the body is broken!! cast iron!!! My guy has managed to fine me a PD130 engine and if I want it ?700 all in! he is going to check it out to see if it is any good! if not, then, guess who is looking for a new car.......
Hold on there....

Assuming it's the hidden bolt where the block is weak and by all accounts is under-enginneered, a fix is available.

I just happened to be re-searching on the TDI-Club and stumbled upon this. You basically have to make up a steel bracket which blots into other areas. There is a fully dimensioned diagram on there.

If you can't get your hacksaw out and make one, I'm sure your mechanic could ?

I'll have a quick look for the link.

[edit]

here it is...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=71262&page=2&highlight=broken+engine+mount

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers for the link[Y]

Sent it to my mate! he said he has done that before and found it to be ok ish~!, One problem with my engine is that the bolts are bloody hard to get out! they just won't budge plus there is no leverage to aid you, and space is

Slightly better news, is that he has his hands on an 03 passat TDI pd130 engine, low milage ?700 he'll do it for me! and will fit it!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Cheers for the link[Y]

Sent it to my mate! he said he has done that before and found it to be ok ish~!, One problem with my engine is that the bolts are bloody hard to get out! they just won't budge plus there is no leverage to aid you, and space is

Slightly better news, is that he has his hands on an 03 passat TDI pd130 engine, low milage ?700 he'll do it for me! and will fit it!
that sounds good CJ and sounds bloody reasonable for a low mileage engine.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers Dan!

I have another option, which has just reared it's face!

There is available a new, straight from VW, a complete bottom end for ?500 - which Billy can fit, and do my service for 100 notes!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thats a real bu**er there, but ?500 for a bottom end is pretty good
value, My sons A3 150 bhp bottom end was ?750 straight from Audi, of
course we could have gone to Seat for exactly the same lump for ?200
cheaper but no warranty!

Anyways.... dont forget to think about a new clutch whilst its all 'undone' ??? and cam belt etc etc

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got an update, - can't get the bottom end - so back to plan A - the 2003 PD130 engine, yeah he already has a new belt for me and pipeing/wiring if required is also sitting there! my engine is out and is just waiting for the ne engine, Billy is picking it up early doors tomorrow! The only thing I won't have straight away is the new ecu.. that will be here in a week.

I'm gutted at spending sooo much money but I don't think I can complain with a TOTAL cost of ?850 which includes some other bits which Billy is giving me!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I feel for you mate as my 1.8t died in october last year and VW presented me with a bill for ?3800 t fix, I've now gathered the bits together to fix him but its taken a while sourcing everything and the time to start the job. Hopefully with the help of some other forum members it will be up and running again soon.
I couldn't face selling it as I had invested too much time and money into it to write it all off by selling it as a non runner.

My fiancee and soon to be wife says all this happens because we fiddle with our cars too much, the cheek !

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.