Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Thinking of upgrading...

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
2K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  veedubdude 
#1 ·
Well Im going to need new discs and pads soon, so Im thinking of upgrading to a bigger brake set-up seen as Im going to be spending money on them anyway! The problem being the car is a 1.4. From what I understand that means I need to change the hub to fit bigger brakes, i.e. from a gti or similar.

I've done a search but can't really find much information about the 1.4 and upgrading... are there any 1.4 owners here carried it out? How hard was it, and is it worth it???

Cheers, any help or information appreciated!!

Andy [:)]

#3 ·
Would bigger hubs be needed on a 1.6 as well, as I was thinking of upgrading mine soon but never knew anything about this?
i dont know anything about this either, always wondered [*-)]

would never do it on my 1.6 though as my brakes are pretty good anyway. and not enough power in the car to warrent doing it IMHO

#4 ·
Andy, that 84.6bhp is really getting to your head. :p

As others said you`d need differant hubs, back plates etc... Not worth it IMO. You could always go a little more stylish with some standard vented / grooved discs and coloured pads like the EBC ones. Just a thought [y]

P.s your car sounded ace when i let you past last night [:)]

#5 ·

As others said you`d need differant hubs, back plates etc... Not worth it IMO. You could always go a little more stylish with some standard vented / grooved discs and coloured pads like the EBC ones. Just a thought [y]

agreed about the discs,

im i right in saying you may also need a bigger servo????? [:S] i dont know lol

but you could be lookign at way over ?1000 if you want to do it all correct i think?

#6 ·
Yup

you have to change the compleat HUB as the 1.6 caliper carier is part of the casting and cant be removed

either Gti hubs or V6 hubs are needed[:^)]

come to think of it [:D] i have a set of them here[:p] (PLUG)

60 quid compleat with bearings and ABS sensors

and then you can have any brake setup you chose[Y]

dependant on wheel size

Andy

#7 ·
I say bite his hand off n buy them mate, get the brakes from that guy on here (about ?250 for TT calipers, carriers, discs n pads, 312mm ones, they WILL stop u, lol)

So just over ?300 all in, go for it mate [Y] one less thing to do if u do do that engine swap u talked about yesterday.

#8 ·

agreed about the discs,

im i right in saying you may also need a bigger servo????? [:S] i dont know lol

but you could be lookign at way over ?1000 if you want to do it all correct i think?
It would only be 1000 QUID if you wanted the BREMBO GT brakes

and i hope to up grad my 4 pots to the AUDI RS4 6 pots with 380mm discs soon YUM YUM

the breke SERVO is the same on al the ranges of golf mk4?s mate so no need to change that

and even if you did i have one of them ALSO FROM A V6 [;)]

#9 ·
i stand corrected then lol

i think Andy (dentreform) has enough gear in his house to build several cars lol

trust me the discs and callipers on my dads turbo are big enough, go for them as the rs4s are just tooooooo huge. lol

#11 ·

He he [:D] I need to replace them anyways, so Im thinking just go for upgrading!!! Especially seen as the current brakes look miniscule behind the 19's!!! [:D]

Cheers for the noise comment! Im well happy how it sounds for a 1.4! [:D] Did you hear the guy doing the rolling road (not Jody) who thought it was a 1.8T? Lol [:D]

Dent Reform... PM on its way to you... [:D]

#12 ·
I say bite his hand off n buy them mate, get the brakes from that guy on here (about ?250 for TT calipers, carriers, discs n pads, 312mm ones, they WILL stop u, lol)

So just over ?300 all in, go for it mate [Y] one less thing to do if u do do that engine swap u talked about yesterday.
Ah, another forum name put to a face!! [:D] EBC disks and pads are going to be quite a lot of ??? anyways... so Im thinking I will upgrade... Good advice! [Y][:D]

Plus thinking about it, I had EBC green stuff pads, with EBC drilled and grooved disks on my last car... and they were crap considering the cost!!!

#14 ·
Ok, well I think I've made a deal for a full set of calipers/carriers/discs/and pads front and rear from a quattro TT, so the fronts will be improving to 312mm. My next question being, is it worth paying more for the rears too, and what will need changing to fit these to a 1.4?? Anyone got experience with the back wheels and brake upgrades?? Does the hub need changing too?

Or saying this, are the 225bhp rear brakes larger than the standard on mine at the moment... I should imagine so but its worthwhile checking hey!

Cheers, Andy

EDIT: just found this post: Clicky

So Im guessing its going to have to be new hubs front and rear... Lol... Thats answers my questions anyways!

#16 ·
Like a spacer actually between the caliper carrier and the hub you mean? To like, move the caliper carrier out, and hence enable the caliper to clear the bigger discs?? Lol [:)]

Cheers DentReform, you've been a great help! [Y]

Just out of interest, what would people say was a good price for front and rear calipers, carriers, discs and pads from the quattro TT? Just so I know Im not overpaying...

#18 ·
Like a spacer actually between the caliper carrier and the hub you mean? To like, move the caliper carrier out, and hence enable the caliper to clear the bigger discs?? Lol [:)]

Cheers DentReform, you've been a great help! [Y]

Just out of interest, what would people say was a good price for front and rear calipers, carriers, discs and pads from the quattro TT? Just so I know Im not overpaying...
Got in one mate[;)]

#20 ·
Just picked up my new brake set-up tonight and well chuffed! From a 2003 TT quattro with 30K on the clock.... Some surface rust on the disks is about all wrong with them, and of course that will come straight off with a bit of a spruce up!

So after some black hammerite applied should look ace when fitted! [:D]

Posted Image

After christmas I'll get some new front hubs sorted, and the spacers for the back calipers; and then I'll fit them! Can't wait! And still can't believe the price! [:D]

#22 ·
Is it me or do those rear calipers look like they fit the standard 9mm non vented disk. The TT rear calipers actually have the handbrake spring within the caliper itself and not external.

You may have got an 180BHP setup with solid rears, these will be the same as on your car anyway.

I do hope I'm wrong though

#24 ·
Yeh sorry mate for giving you a scare! I was a bit worried about the calipers and carriers as opposed to the discs though. Anyway if the "slot" on the carrier that the disc drops into is about 26mm they are the right ones, if its about 12mm then he's given you the wrong caliper & carriers.

Many apologies if I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs!! its just that the angle of the pic is a little confusing, I'm still fairly confident that the handbrake retaining spring should be within the caliper and not external. If you should have any probs at all then just E mail me, I've got spacers, R32,Anni, Standard calipers,carriers, all in blue and red for front and rear and some good quality new drilled & grooved discs that I keep under the bed [:$]

Enjoy the new brakes - single best mod you can do in my opinion (After the R32 Steering wheel!!)

Just got a set of R32 Caliper/Carriers in the powder coaters now looking forward to fiting them, anybody know where I can get some drilled discs without remortgaging the house.

#25 ·
Lol! [:)]

Funny you should mention spacers... as I'm after a set for the rear calipers with longer bolts to fit them, due to them being from 4WD instaed of my FWD! Do you have any of those about? And if so, how much would you want for a pair??

Get some pics up when you've got the R32's fitted, sweeeeett!

Cheers, Andy [:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.