Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my R32 is knocking on the door of 50,000 miles and while I love the car, I know that from here on, it's going to plummet in value. I am therefore thinking of selling it privately, buying a cheap year 2000 ish TDI for up to 12 months and then buy a MkV GTI when the secondhand prices have stopped being falsely inflated. I believe my R32 is in with a shout of being the highest mileage example for sale in the country.

So, how much does anybody think my car is worth if I were to sell it privately? Spec as follows:

2003 53-plate 3-door .:R32
Deep Blue Pearl
48,000 miles
Standard Cloth/Leather(ette) seats.
Delta Radio + 6CD changer
Full VW Service History (20k service + 40k serivce + Haldex Service)
4 New Goodyear F1s
Bodywork in very good condition - only marks are on the bonnet and would be expected from the mileage covered.
Also comes with unused spare front undertray, Milltek FSB Exhaust (loud) and original exhaust (quiet).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Spanner,

I think with the spec I'd say around ?17,500. There are so much for sale now. Most R32's are fast approaching high 40k miles, thats why prices are slipping slightly, also may be wrong time to sell due to festive period.

Good luck with your's

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Hi Spanner,

I think with the spec I'd say around ?17,500. There are so much for sale now. Most R32's are fast approaching high 40k miles, thats why prices are slipping slightly, also may be wrong time to sell due to festive period.

Good luck with your's
Sorry to disagree, and I have seen the car and its a beautiful car, BUT, if you do want to sell it, one quick on autotrader tells me that I can pick up an R32 in silver with 5000 miles on the clock, trade, for ?15,850, one with 26,000 on the clock for ?15,995, one with 43,000 on the clock for ?15650

So saying ?17,500 seems very high. Plus, a couple of these on autotrader are sticking and not selling.

Theres a trader selling one with 49,000 on the clock for ?16,500, and thats a garage!

·
Registered
141 Posts
May be I was being too generous!!!, [:O] The problem with golfs is when prices drop the fall, then the stay at a price for around 1.5 years.

To people who are considering buying a 4 motion or R32 running costs ie: insurance, tyres, servicing, parts is a major factor they consider.

The cost of running a sports car is on the increase!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was looking at getting a 4mo or MAYBE an R32 and I would like to know if this is based on your experience. I can see your selling yours, I must say it looks stunning.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the comments people and the complements W36 EJO. My R is one of those cars that only gets driven hard every once in a while as a result of me commuting 85 miles a day and therefore spending most of the time travelling at 80 on the M5 and needing to keep my license for my job. Plus, any problems that I've had with the car have been fixed or attended to by my dealership - who know me as I've used them for years. So most of the typical VW issues have been ironed out. Sadly though, these are things that don't show up when you are trying to sell a car. You can tell people, but they won't believe you as it sounds like you're trying to cover something up.

It's certainly not a car I want to sell or a car that causes me petrol cost issues (I average 28-30mpg). However, I feel that with any more mileage it will plummet and the new R32 is certainly going to effect it. In fact, the dealers are already saying the the new model and the GTI are affecting the figures. I don't even want to write the figures I've been offered on part-exchanges - they are almost offensive.

The most gutting thing in all of this is that it will never make the pilgrimage to Le Mans in 2006.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Cheers for the comments people and the complements W36 EJO. My R is one of those cars that only gets driven hard every once in a while as a result of me commuting 85 miles a day and therefore spending most of the time travelling at 80 on the M5 and needing to keep my license for my job. Plus, any problems that I've had with the car have been fixed or attended to by my dealership - who know me as I've used them for years. So most of the typical VW issues have been ironed out. Sadly though, these are things that don't show up when you are trying to sell a car. You can tell people, but they won't believe you as it sounds like you're trying to cover something up.

It's certainly not a car I want to sell or a car that causes me petrol cost issues (I average 28-30mpg). However, I feel that with any more mileage it will plummet and the new R32 is certainly going to effect it. In fact, the dealers are already saying the the new model and the GTI are affecting the figures. I don't even want to write the figures I've been offered on part-exchanges - they are almost offensive.

The most gutting thing in all of this is that it will never make the pilgrimage to Le Mans in 2006.
I would guess that the dealers have offered you around 13-14k?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
You might be lucky and get 17k for it, especially as it's in good condition. I would say stick it on Ebay but there's quite a few on there at the moment so it would really have to stand out to get the bids. Plus, I don't know whether I'd be brave enough putting something of such value on the Bay [:S]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
It was listed a while ago as a Cat D, they must have taken that bit of info off to try and get some attention. They werent exactly hiding it before though.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I spotted that one when I was looking on autotrader earlier but couldn't think of a reason why it was so cheap but knew something had to be up - Cat D explains it all.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Volkswagen Golf R32
3.2 Petrol 3-door Hatchback
6 Speed Manual Four Wheel Drive
Year: 2003 53
Mileage: 48,000

Estimated value of your car

Part-exchange Price:

Excellent condition:
?14100
Average condition:
?12700
Below average condition:
?11350

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah - those figures are pretty much in line with the ones I've been receiving from dealers. Scary.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My best advice is to try and sell it privatley....but there are so much for sale now. when the R32 was first released you could not get one for love nor money!!![:O]

And now you see loads on Autotrader

But you still don't see many on the road!!!![*-)]

May be you should just keep the R.... many people want to save milage on there R's. But its a car that needs to be driven and enjoyed!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was looking at getting a 4mo or MAYBE an R32 and I would like to know if this is based on your experience. I can see your selling yours, I must say it looks stunning.
Cheers for your comment

Well ,put it this way... to fill your tank with Optimax say goodbye to ?50 plus[:^)]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts