Which optional
extra's do you think are a
must
I was thinking of
getting the 18" wheels and maybe the dimming side mirrors

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
18" and Highline Computer (and Arm rest, I forgot about that) at a minimum.  I have Cruise, Xenons and Leather as well.  I have not used the side dimming mirrors but have no problem with the regular ones

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I've not got the GTI but I would suggest the central armrest and if you spend time on the motorway, cruise control.

Personally, I wouldn't say 18s were essential, the 17 look fine to me - others of course will say get the 18s.

Have you chosen a colour, 3 or 5 door?

For the GTI, I would go for black or red.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think I got it about right;

18" Monza II - they fill the wheel arches that little bit better

Cruise Control - takes the effort out of long motorway cruising & stops you speeding up in 30/40mph zones

Winter Pack - lovely warm seats on a cold winters day

Front Centre Armrest - more storage space & it tidies up the otherwise unsightly front cup-holder

If I were to order another GTI tomorrow, I'd definitely add highline comp' (for the extra versatility it gives you over some of the user functions) & possibly rear parking because the visibility isn't the best when your trying to reverse into a tight space.

If the door mirrors are adjusted properly I don't find them a problem at all, so I definitely wouldn't go for the auto-dim mirrors

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
If the door mirrors are adjusted properly I don't find them a problem at all, so I definitely wouldn't go for the auto-dip mirrors
Confused alert [:^)]

When you say auto-dip, do you mean the legendary mirror that points down to the kerb when reverse parking?

I would really like that feature but although it appeared in early literature it is not available.

If you mean auto-dimming mirror which prevent glare then I would say they are worthwhile. I love my interior auto-dimming mirror. How much are the external ones as a n option?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
18s (slightly firmer ride and fill out the arches much better), highline computer (not many extras but a little more control - worth 45 quid!), arm rest - god i miss mine beyond all belief, talk about take it for granted in my mk4.

They're the absolute critical ones in my opinion, you can build up from there. Electric folding mirrors aren't overly worth it and on a tight budget I'd not worry about that (they only fold in about an inch anyway!). I do 18k a year, over half of it on motorways, and I live without cruise quite merrily - i rarely used it on the mk4. Heated seats aren't needed unless you go for a leather interior, and that sounds like a no.

So, yeah [y]

C

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys

I'll drop the folding mirrors then

Centre arm rest would be nice but only if it was IPOD ready

As for the colour I was going for red

Not sure about 3 or 5 doors yet

Probably go 3 door

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think the centre arm rest is an absolute must! Don't forget you also
get another (heated) storage compartment inside the armrest,
better cup-holders with bottle opener, funky rear cup-holders
and extra rear heating vent. Plus it just looks so much better and more
befitting to a 20K car!

The folding mirrors aren't that great but I still don't regret getting
them - if nothing else for the "surrounding" light that sits under the
mirror and come on when you unlock the car!

The highline computer is another must and it's only 45quid (I can't believe it's not standard on the GTI)

I do regret not getting the 18" wheels tho (only for pose value!) esp.
for only 500 quid extra (couldn't justify them to the wife!)

I wish I'd gone for Xenon's too but just couldn't afford them.

Personally I think that silver is the best colour, then black then red. I seem to be alone in liking silver tho!

Steve

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I think the centre arm rest is an absolute must! Don't forget you also get another (heated) storage compartment inside the armrest, better cup-holders with bottle opener, funky rear cup-holders and extra rear heating vent. Plus it just looks so much better and more befitting to a 20K car!
Agreed, it really should be standard [:mad:]

I do regret not getting the 18" wheels tho (only for pose value!) esp. for only 500 quid extra (couldn't justify them to the wife!)
Personally I think that is a lot extra. Those wheels and tyres will not cost the manufacturer much at all over 17s. An easy ?500 for them.

Obviously if you want them, get them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
So after the test drive I'm seriously saving to get a new GTI (Leaving the misuses in an ice bath missing a kidney is not an option)
Which optional extra's do you think are a must
I was thinking of getting the 18" wheels and maybe the dimming side mirrors
It will vary from person to person, globally though Armrest (extra storage, chiller box rear heating cooler vents)

Highline computer,( extra funtionality for less than the price of a night out.)

If ordering again, I would still have cruise, folding mirrors and sunroof.

With regards the folding mirrors, they don't appear to fold in much however if a passing car hit the mirrors once folded in, I think they would have already hit other parts of the car! I don't think I would still have dimming side mirrors.

Ipod option (if available)

Dark Green colour like the toureg (if it was available)

Colour coded rear bumper and side lower.

Possibly dsg following a test drive

Xenons and leather if they were much cheaper....

·
Registered
554 Posts
Definetly the following 2...

1.)18" - you'll wish you had if you don't !

2.)Arm-rest

*Winter pack also worthwile if after a warm bum.

Cruise control you can always add later for less than ?200 so you can see if you miss it.

You won't regret it, mine still makes me grin every day.[:D]

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Centre arm rest would be nice but only if it was IPOD ready
Apparently available anytime soon...might be worth hassling the dealer to find out when it can be ordered (they will of course no nothing about it when you ask).

The GTI comes with auto-dimming interior mirror as standard, I have the dimming side mirrors and I've often thought it would be odd not having that alongside the interior one, should have been standard really along with the interior. People moan about the folding mirrors but getting my car in the garage would be a lot more difficult without out them, and the under lighting is cool, and they're really not that expensive.

My spec is Diamond Black, arm-rest, RCD-500, highline, winter pack(heated seats etc) and luxury pack (folding/dimming mirrors)...I set myself a limit for the options and stuck to it, the only 2 things I'd add now would be 18's and xenons, but that's only because I've since had a pay rise. I wouldn't be bothered with leather, the cabin's grey and plain enough already.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I would say generally to anyone, if you can run to it, consider DSG rather than say leather as an option... far better use of cash IMO.

If you like the look of 18 "wheels & are happy with the ride fine .(17" Monza are much easier to refurbish if you kerb them ( painted finish ) whereas the 18" have a diamond cut type finish & charcoal coloured inserts ). I have 17" wheels and I can honestly say I have not had a yearning for 18's since getting the car.

Would have folding mirrors if you have a tight garage entrance or gear inside as it gives you 2" extra each side to play with.

Wouldn't bother with auto dimming side mirrors.

Central armrest great for all the reasons mentioned already.

Cruise useful if like me you do a fair amount of motorway work so much more relaxing.

Highline useful for ?45.

If you go for 3 doors be aware they are longer ( can be more awkward in tight situations & they are heavier )

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think the wheels depend on the colour, I think on Silver and black 18's make a difference (Seckles with you on silver being the best colour) Red if you are on a budget 17's look good. I think that depends on the driving you do and where the car goes, where I am working at the minute there are a lot of tight curbs and I have to be so careful not todamage them as like med3 says rebubishing would probably not be possible and they are ?380 from the dealer to replace.

Then if you have a garage get folding mirrors otherwise then I would not bother. I tested a golf before ordering them and my garage gave me about 2cm either side tops and the cost of a replacement mirror or repair would probably be more than the 105 quid.

Centre armrest is a definate it just looks better.

Highline computer is also a definate at ?45.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
OK - here is my contribution. I am much in agreement with Seckles with a few caviats:

I think the centre arm rest is an absolute must! Don't forget you also get another (heated) storage compartment inside the armrest, better cup-holders with bottle opener, funky rear cup-holders and extra rear heating vent. Plus it just looks so much better and more befitting to a 20K car!
You also get a nice sliding door covering the otherwise open front cupholders (where the bottle opener resides).

The folding mirrors aren't that great but I still don't regret getting them - if nothing else for the "surrounding" light that sits under the mirror and come on when you unlock the car!
Agreed but the auto dimming (not dipping Ken) external mirrors are superb and good value for the (extra) money. This is Luxury Pack 2.

The highline computer is another must and it's only 45quid (I can't believe it's not standard on the GTI)
Completely agree - essential.

I do regret not getting the 18" wheels tho (only for pose value!) esp. for only 500 quid extra (couldn't justify them to the wife!)
I think they do make a contribution to the look of the car actually - just about worth the extra money.

I wish I'd gone for Xenon's too but just couldn't afford them.
Thats my probolem - nice to have but wow - so expensive.

Personally I think that silver is the best colour, then black then red. I seem to be alone in liking silver tho!
It would have to be black or red for me - yes Seckles you are alone(ish). Silver does just not look 'special' enough on the GTI but looks great on the GT/Sport.

I would not have another car without the Winter pack - its good value for money and I find I constantly use the heated seats and am relieved to have heated washer jets and rely on the low washer fluid warning light. It also comes with headlight washers (not that useful really).

Sound? Forget the amp upgrade but choosing the 6-CD changer with the armrest is a good idea and allows a future upgrade to OEM satnav should you decide to go for it in future as an after market installation.

Cruise control. I have it now but do not use it often enough. Besides - this is one of the few options that can be fitted later for the same cost as a factory install.

Options to avoid: Leather - nice but WAAAAY too expensive (and the retro fabric you get as standard looks great). Sunroof - cannot see the point but I accept some people just have to have one.

All Golfs look better as 3-doors, particularly the GTI. It has to be manual (not criticising the DSG box), but this is a GTI!

The multi-function wheel is something I think I would also to go for (if its not standard already).

So my options on a GTI would be:

18" Monza II's, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack 2, Armrest (with CD changer), highline computer and multi-function steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts