Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of replacing my 18" Monza II alloys with something a bit different. The Monza's are nice, but I am leaning towards a set of black alloys with a polished rim. The list of must do mods is growing and the cash is dwindling (thanks to the arrival of twins at the end of November!!), so I will only change the wheels if the price is right. What do you guys reckon is a fair price for a set of 4 Monza II alloys (mint condition - no kerbing), with good Continental tyres (8K miles)?.

Scott

·
Registered
81 Posts
not sure what they are worth but i would take them off your hands if the price was right... and i'm local too!!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Baz,

Thanks for the interest. I'll give some thought to how much I would be looking for and let you know. Still not 100% sure if I want to change (as the Monzas are nice), but it is likely that I will. More a case of whether I want to do it now, or do another few mods first.

Cheers

Scott

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I guess your bored of the look and want a change. But, did u know that the alloys are very light because they are hollow?? Are you going to be able to get some wheels of the same quality or weight. Just my 2 pence.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers mate.

Yes - just a bit bored of the look (although everyone compliments me on the wheels) - wanting the car to stand out from the crowd (may end up going down the Euro look with a set of 10 x 17s). Interesting point you make about the quality/weight - didn't know that. Have heard that the Monzas are made by BBS and would therefore be damn good quality, but didn't know anything else about them. Any idea what they are worth on the second hand market? I have seen replicas (with budget tyres) for sale at ?750, but not sure about the real McCoy!!

Scott

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The last set of genuine 18's with tyres that I saw on ebay went for around ?1000. Apparently VW are charging circa ?400 PER WHEEL for replacements. Foxy can get them for about ?250 with is discount but selling them should easily cover the replacement set or at least contribute a significant portion towards it. I'd recommend keeping them though as it would be difficult to find something of comparable quality.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info mate.

Need to do some serious thinking over what I want to do. I hear what everyone is saying about the quality of the Monzas, however, I think I need a change. Just need to decide what I want and when!!

Scott

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Think I have found the perfect wheel for my GTI - haven't seen them on a MKV Golf yet (keeping quiet on what they are until I get them - if I get them!!). Problem is, they are very expensive. Would need to rake in close to ?1,000 for my Monzas if I were to change just now. Anyone interested - what about you Baz?

Scott

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'd stick with the Monza's - IMO the best OEM wheels VW have gone for in a long time, but then again you are a forum member and it is hard to resist those 'mods' [;)]

Come on tell us what you are going for - you know you want to [;)]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
If you've not seen the Monza's when the car's on the move, go and find a video or get a mate to film your car.

Was contemplating canning mine a couple of months ago, then went on the London ==> Brighton run and saw some footage from the motorway one, and the wheels just look amazing, on the move as well as stationary.

As Spin said, best OEMs VW have done for a long long time!! [y]

C

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I agree that the Monzas are lovely, but there are quite a few of them out there. Ideally, I want something that will set my car apart from the rest. This is the main reason for going down the Euro Look route. Still not 100% certain on what wheels I will replace the Monzas with, however, a set of Schmidt TH Line alloys are at the top of my wish list (but they cost a bomb [:(]).

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I quite like these. Think they would be ideal for what im doing with the car. Similar to the monza s but different enough to not be a direct copy. The only thing Im dubious about is the quality given the make. Obviously they wont be up to BBS standard but still want a a decent level.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
a set of Schmidt TH Line alloys are at the top of my wish list (but they cost a bomb [:(]).
Always the way mate - those that you want the most, are the most expensive. An unfortunate part of "human nature". I looked at 3 sets, and cried at the prices [:|]

C

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too true.

Will be making a few calls tomorrow to check on price/availability - then decide which body part I can sell to fund the purchase!![:'(]

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After much debate, I have placed an order for a set of fully polished split rim Schmidt TH Line alloys. Decided to go for 17 x 8.5 all round as this will allow me to deck the car further down the line (will most likely get coilovers in the future). The wheels are built to order in Germany so delivery times are a bit vague. Have been told that I can expect a call tomorrow with more info on delivery times etc. Will get some pics on when the wheels arrive and have been fitted (hopefully within the next couple of weeks).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As you say, each to their own.

I could have gone down the easy/safe route and followed the pack with a set of RS4/6 replicas or stuck with the Monzas - reality is I want to do something a bit different. I knew that opinions would be divided over my choice of wheels - thats what makes this whole modifying game so interesting. With the Schmits, I will have a pretty unique look and won't run into another 50 Golfs with the same wheels. I also think they will look better on my 3 door Gti rather than the 5 door Golf shown in the pics.

Thanks for the comments - always welcome, good or bad!!

Scott

1 - 20 of 25 Posts