Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right i'm looking for advice! Currently got a 1.6 16v and it's my first car. I love it as it's my first car, but the mpg is driving me NUTS!

Ive been looking into buying a new MK4 and i'm warming to the idea of a tdi. Could anyone reccomend the best diesel in the mk4 range? Any advice would be awesome!

Cheers, Ger [:)]

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the feedback! Ive seen this at a local garage:

2003 52 Reg Volkswagen Golf 1.9 GT TDI 130, 92,000 miles, £3,894.

If i try and part ex my 1.6 16v, how much would i get? 80,000 miles, very clean inside and out, no problems or issues whatsoever. Any advice?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Best to go in and ask the garage! We can't give you the price they'd give you.

You will probably find you'll be better of selling it privately through the likes of Pistonheads and Autotrader.

Make sure you write a good description of it and it'll sell in little or no time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
if u need help with working out what everythings worth, buy parkers price guide, its a book, updated every month (or something like that) and it tells you how to work out the cars value based on the mileage, and age, and how much a private seller and a dealer are likely to charge etc. used this when was looking for mine, and was spot on with the prices, gives you a leg to stand on when bartering as well lol

hope this helps bud [Y]

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
The lower BHP TDI'S are more economical.... so 90, 100, 110, 115, they are also lower insurance.

But beware....you WILL be paying more per L for Derv and also....u WILL be driving more as you love your TDI [:D]

I have a 110 for sale if interested - PM me

·
Registered
482 Posts
the pd 130 is the best all round i think but a tdi 100 or tdi 115 would be cheaper to buy and insure but if you got a tdi 100 or tdi 115 and wanted a bit more power you can get a remap

·
Registered
247 Posts
do it do it do it

i have a 90, the least powerful one and i love it to pieces. even my 90 will mostly beat 1.6's in the midrange.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha im definitely convinced now! awesome advice! ive had an insurance quote with the 130 and its cheaper than what it is for my 1.6! [:S]

im not keen on remapping or all stuff under the bonnet tbh, id concentrate on looks, knowing that i havent got a petrol guzzling slug of a car [au] [:D]

·
Registered
247 Posts
mapping is an easy way to get extra performance + better fuel economy, with a derv simple things such as a performance panel filter, EGR delete etc will give you great increases in performance for minimal cost. hybrid turbo, injectors and a bunch of other goodies will give you even more for a bit of money - well worth it imo.

that's the brilliance of having a derv - unlike naturally aspirated lower powered petrol engines, the gains are much easier to access. plus you'll get your 55+ mpg thrown in too!

·
Registered
254 Posts
you're onto a winner mate imo [Y]

love my tdi 100 to bits, nevva would have thought i would fall in love with a derv but.... [:$]

tdi 100 is dead cheap on insurance as well, cost me less than a 998cc mini lol

...... do it! lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have to say I love my tdi 110, so economical it's silly and a lovely comfy ride for long journeys. You wont go wrong DERV all the way [:)]

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you just check out most of this Forum you'll find a large number of satisfied DERV owners. Anything from 90-150 bhp to suit all tastes.The main benefits is to most other road users, they wouldn't know the difference especially if debadged and unlike diesels of the past these cars are more than welcomed on this forum.

You could concentrate on looks, performance or a combination of both with potential performance on tap along with economy in running costs and insurance.

A win win in my opinion

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
awesome advice everyone really appreciate it [Y]

got my heart set on a gt tdi now, need to find £1500 from somewhere though [cry]

...and what kind of mpg info would be good Tuf!

·
Registered
111 Posts
You'll not go wrong with a GT Tdi in my biased opinion [whistle]

For a Motoway run I get between 50-55 mpg and as stated above pulls like a train so can be fun too

·
Registered
764 Posts
To be brutally honest, if you want a decent diesel and are worried about insurance, steer clear of MK4's.

My insurance is ridiculous, £1200 a year when a 1.8T is under 1K a year. It's not just the diesel, it's the actual car, i've got the PD115, which is quite slow, very Torquey but no where near fast. I had a 1.4 MG which done 0-60 in the same time and was generally just as fast.

Anyway, the PD115 is a group 21 insurance going by the new groups, though the same engine (Or even the PD140 Leon) is only group 18 and such, which is total bollocks. A PD130 is gorup 24 and PD150 is group 28 or so (Can't remember exactly, this is a slightly drunken rant)

So what i'm saying is, if your worried about insurance, get a 90bhp or 100bhp Golf, if your 'slightly' older and don't worry about this kind of stuff, get a damn PD150!

Lovely car btw masterpfa

1 - 20 of 59 Posts