Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Ok, been thinking for a while now but I keep putting myself off the idea of upgrading to a GTI. To put it simply, I love my car to bits, it looks great, it drives well, the interior is sweet, and i've had no problems with it. I bought my 1.6SE because at the time it's the model I could afford, however in recent months circumstances have changed somewhat and i'm not getting a fair bit more cash flow- which i've calculated could afford to me upgrading my car up to a GTI, if I so choose.[;)]

Let's get down to business though- can I afford one? I'm one who likes to be comfortable- my car isn't my only vice so to speak. I go out a lot, I like my toys and the biggest drain is my girlfriend- lol.[:p]

I do about 40 miles per day on average, which is about ?35 a week in my 1.6, realistically what are the MPG figures like on town driving on a daily basis? Am I in for a shock? More importantly, is it worth it?

Anything else I should bare in mind? I know most things are covered by warranty but is there anything I should be looking out for?

Should I do it? I know the majority of answers are going to be yes, but bearing in mind it's probably going to cost me quite a few extra hundred quid a month- will I be able to warrant the difference? Or should I stick with my SE and put some more money into modding it so it's a bit different and enjoy it for it's ultra-cheap Golfing?

All opinions most welcome, bit of a dodgy thread but I really am 50/50 at the minute and I need some decision makers.[:)]

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I am in the same boat mate...

Impending change in circumstances mean i am thinking of changing from my SE to either a GT TDI, GTI or a focus ST LOL

Currently saving up to see what happens, but i am so temped to go down to vw and place an order on the GTI LOL

Chris

·
Registered
554 Posts
Can't honestly see you spending a great deal more on fuel as you probably have to drive your 1.6 pretty hard. If you do more than 12,000 per year I'd say go for the GT TDI and a remap because at the end of the day if economy is one of your factors then an extra 12mpg on average is not to be sniffed at, if I were you I would hang on until the 168BHP diesel is released this year and try both cars back to back.

(By the way my previous car was a 2.0tdi so feel qualified to comment on fuel economy)

But then again the GTi is brilliant [;)]

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Tom, I think you should have a test drive then you will know what to do, the GTi is Awesome to drive.

My car is ok[:D] but the GTi is in a different class.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've driven a GTI before, but not very hard, as traffic was pretty busy so didn't really get chance to see it's best colours.

So in light of this, i've got a test drive booked on Saturday morning- i'll report back.

Thanks for the input- keep 'em coming.

Tom

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
First, I would get some info on what to expect for your car on trade in. That way if you test the gTI and are smitten you will not play into the dealers hand. Make sure you shop around to get the best deal. Try and play one dealer against another. You might not get a discount on the GTI but the difference in offer for your trade in could vary by up to ?1k!

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on modding your current car.

Whatever happens, don't put yourself in a hole to pay for the GTI. If you are young and don't own any property, my old head would tell you to save your cash for a house rather than blow it on a luxury item like a car.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting points.

As for value of my car- it's a 2004 54 with 6000 miles on it- low mileage considering its age. Parkers is suggesting around the ?11k mark which I would say is about what I was expecting.

I definitely won't be putting myself into a hole, far from it. I wouldn't even be considering the idea of a car like this had I not completely thought about if I can comfortably afford it.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Your only young once mate go for it [:D]

However ken does have a point about the whole house situation

I have got some money saved for my house deposit sat in a high interest (supposidly) bond. I could use that to pay for the GTI... but even i am not that stupid lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
true only young once . how old are you ?

im 25 and have a house but not moved in yet (been doing it up for 6 months) earn a decent wage and find it easy to have the gti , also have a mk2 gti and a few expencive toys (like a ?5k mountian bike)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm 19, and before you ask, insurance is covered.[:)]

As for house, don't really want to go into it, but have property covered due to certain family circumstances.

Tom

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Take the test drive, watch out for the hard selling dealer.

You sound like you've done the maths on costs if you DID get one, which is probably one of the biggest poitns I've always said (and it took me 2 months to decide I could (and easily) and it's what I wanted). I resisted the test drive until this.

Unforunately I was hooked, and whilst I didn't get sucked in on the day, I was back for round 2 five days later, and signing on the line (once I'd rallied the poor finance guy into the ground and made him work his arse off).

The whole discount thing is varied, but push like f***. If it's "in-stock" (ie someone else's cancelled order, or dealer-ordered) make sure it's definitely a spec you want first of all. If you want one of those you're less likely to get discount - I'd guess if you ordered your own, you've got a bit more room

Hope that makes sense - and it is a grand car [:D] (times lots heh!)

C

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Interesting timing of this post as I phoned Beadles at dartford yesterday and asked about a new GTi. The thing is I love the Golf Mk5 but to be honest I'm struggling with the Diesel concept at the moment, I still can't get used top it.

I should have bitten the bullet and bought a GTi in the first place,so as a consequence I'm going to have my pants pulled down and get a spanking on the resale of my GT TDi

I would spec a new car as ...

3 door silver this time

CD 6 stack in armrest

Xenons

Sunroof

and fit cruise latter as it's cheaper

A question to all you GTi owners,do insurance companies insist on a Tracker of some sort

Do new GTi have duel zone climate of AC as standard

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I do about 40 miles per day on average, which is about ?35 a week in my 1.6, realistically what are the MPG figures like on town driving on a daily basis? Am I in for a shock? More importantly, is it worth it?
I do about the same miles and it's just under ?50 a week (Optimax) worse case scenerio. That equates to about 300 miles nearly. My journey to work is a small bit of town driving to begin with, 3 miles on a by-pass and then the remainder cross-country on some fantastic roads where it's virtually impossible to resist putting your foot down and enjoy the handling.

You could get more out of it I'm sure but the MPG figure is inversely proportional to the fun factor [:D]

So...is it worth it...oh yes, it's a cracking car, it really is!

·
Registered
126 Posts
when we decided to buy a Golf we looked at the GTI and ye it is great car and nice to drive.

However like ken we decided to stay with the 1.6FSI sport 3 door with front fogs and not forgeting the cetnre arm rest.

It looks sporty and and drives well as you will know from your 1.6FSI.

Think about the initial cost and also runnig costs in terms of insurance plus your mileage seems very low to justfy the investment ,unless of course you intend to drive more.

my opinion would be to hold and wait and see,save your money for now,I am not a killjoy but I think if you are going to buy such a car then you need to use it to justify it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just a quick question, does the gti have to be run on optimax, am i missing something here???
You can run it on normal 95 unleaded. There are various opinions as to whether the car runs less powerfully/smoothly/efficeiently on the cheaper stuff. In my opinion, there is a slight difference but not amazingly so.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts