Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post here (just registered :) )
I'm thinking of buying a 5dr Mk V GTI to replace my BMW 330d, and just wondered if there are any hints/tips of what to look for or avoid?
I used to have a few Audis - all with 1.8t engines - so I'm aware of things like the old coilpack issues etc. - are these still relevant these days?
Thanks for your help guys :)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Coil packs are really a thing of the past, and so far so is the dump valve issue the 1.8T engine had.

If you read posts on this forum, creaky steering racks seam to be the biggest major problem, there can be a few more minor issues, such as door seal rubbers and wind noise around the 'C' pillars

Apart from that, it's mostly silly little things. I moved from an E46 coupe to the GTi and although I only had the 2.0 ltr engine in my BM, I don't miss it at all, if I'm honest i do miss the BMW brand image of bullet proof reliabilty, but it's reallt unjustified as the my GTi has been ok in 6000 miles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coil packs are really a thing of the past, and so far so is the dump valve issue the 1.8T engine had.

If you read posts on this forum, creaky steering racks seam to be the biggest major problem, there can be a few more minor issues, such as door seal rubbers and wind noise around the 'C' pillars

Apart from that, it's mostly silly little things. I moved from an E46 coupe to the GTi and although I only had the 2.0 ltr engine in my BM, I don't miss it at all, if I'm honest i do miss the BMW brand image of bullet proof reliabilty, but it's reallt unjustified as the my GTi has been ok in 6000 miles.
Thanks for the info :) To be honest I've been a bit disappointed with my experience with the E46 - while I've not had any technical problems I've been let down by several service departments and I just don't think that the cars are as well screwed together as VAG cars are - having had an A3 1.8t, S3 and TTR 225..

One thing that *really* annoys me with my 3-series is that the seats don't fold - this makes the boot REALLY impractical - to have folding seats is an optional extra. I mean, FFS!

Still trying to get a drive in a GTI from the local dealer - I've sat in a couple and they seem really nice (and the seats fold, hurrah!).

I think we're probably going to buy nearly new rather than brand new but I'm looking for

Monza IIs
Sat Nav
iPod adapter
Reverse parking sensors
Xenons
Dual zone climate thingy
Leather

Is there anything else I should be looking for? What about a sound upgrade? I'm used to BOSE in the Audis and Harmon Kardon in the BMW so will I be disappointed with the stock unit? Also what's with the different computers? Which one is equivalent to the DIS in the Audis?

Probably more questions abound but that'll do for now :)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Duel Zone climate is standard

Centre armrest is a must (for me) adjusts up and down like the BMW also slided front to back

I'd of had Xenons but mine was already built.

Leathers nice as it come with heated (front) seats

Standard Hifi is miles better than the BMW business system (but then it would be hard not to be) I never really thought the HK was worth the money TBH

Sounds very subjective though.

I take it you had a saloon, as the coupe I had had folding rear seats.

I think the BMW cruise control is much nicer to use, with seamless speed reduction, m GTi can jerk a bit when reducing speed and the BMW's buttons on the steering wheel is much nicer to use.

I suppose for me the thing that says it all is I can't help driving the long way home, just find excusses for driving, something I never did with the 3 series, well after the first month or so anyway.

The gti is such a good all rounder.

My old 3er

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The standard sound system is a bit pants, I had the RCD500 but I changed it over to the satnav unit and the sound is much better, probably not as good as BOSE or Harmon Kardon but still good. If you get a recent car, it should have the DVD unit and I believe that has even better sound.

With regards to the computer it's either the mid line or the high line, with the high line have more functions, but you've no need to worry about that as the highline comes with the sat nav as directions are displayed on that as well as the nav screen.

Will it be as well screwed together as an Audi...that may be slightly optimistic, had mine 18mths and it has it's fair share or squeeks, creaks and rattles.

Most fun car I've had by a long way though!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys - all good food for thought :)

Some more questions:

- what's fuel economy and range like in the GTI? I enjoy a spirited drive but most of the time it's just motorway miles (85-90) or pottering around town.

- iPod adapter - sound quality OK?

- is there a TV Tuner option (either VW or aftermarket) for the Sat Nav?

- what about bluetooth connections for mobile phones?

Sorry to keep asking all these questions :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My long term average on the computer is about 28mpg and that's mainly with my commute to work and back, 20 miles each way with mixed driving. The computer is into the 30's back and from work so it must be the 'pottering' around that reduces the average. I usually get nearly 300 miles to the tank, don't cane it everywhere but I wouldn't say I drive like Miss Daisy either [:p]

I have an aftermarket ipod adpapter from Dension, who I believe make the VW one, sound quality is excellent with mine.

I believe you can get a TV tuner but it's not an option through VW.

No bluetooth kit as far as I know, VW aren't exactly up with the times, you couldn't get an ipod adapter when I got mine, nor did the headunit play mp3's when even Vauxhall's could!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I think we're probably going to buy nearly new rather than brand new but I'm looking for

Monza IIs
Sat Nav
iPod adapter
Reverse parking sensors
Xenons
Dual zone climate thingy
Leather

Is there anything else I should be looking for?
I sadly think the chances of finding a late used car with this lot of options on it are pretty slim, with any colour choice. Late used GTI's do not really make much sense now. Dealers do not always pick such fully loaded cars as demos as they are harder to sell later and private buyers who specced it up like this are unlikely to sell in such a short time.

Are you thinking 3 or 5 doors? Thinking harder, an advantage you have is the sat nav comes with the armrest, 6-CD changer and highline computer and the leather seats will be heated.

Even if you do find the right car its going to be the almost the same cost as a new one ordered from a dealer via a broker. Why not log in to drivethdeal.co.uk, enter your required car and options and very likely get a pleasant surprise? Now, with the DVD sat nav option you can specify an ipod adapter or USB port in lieu of the CD changer in the arm rest.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all, me again :)?

Still planning on swapping the BMW for a GTI but am being a bit slow about it as is the way I seem to do things ;)
I've seen one on the VW used website which the dealer is happy to get for me but it doesn't have sat nav, xenons, parking sensors or cruise - how easy would it be to retro-fit all/any of these?? Of all of them I'm not too bothered if I can't fit the sat nav because Tomtom units are just so cheap now but the xenons, sensors and cruise would still be nice to have if I can fit then.
Any comments appreciated as before :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
used to own a BMW M3 ,before exchanging to a VW Golf 2.0 140,then brought a GTI never got on with the seats or changing gears on the M3 arm rest continued to get in the way.The Golf I find is excellent for seating position and feel.

Anyway the parking sensors can be fitted by your local dealer or if your into DIY as I am by yourself,these cost ?155 from your parts department,as for fitting at a dealers ?350-?450 depending on dealers.The Cruise again can be aftermarket fitted,some have said on hear as little as ?150 fitted.

Xenons cant cooment on,but the standard lights seem fine to me.

Other than that wait until a car comes up to your spec....[Y]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Any comments appreciated as before :)
As i said earlier if you have a specific spec, unless you are very very lucky, its no more expensive to order a new car from a broker (its still supplied by a VW dealer anyway), you will be the first owner and it will be exactly as you want it. Forget the sat nav for the time being but order highline computer and ipod armrest. You save about ?1400 doing that and can still retro fit the sat nav later (and more cheaply) if you get fed up with the Tomtom. Never order cruise from the factory - its ?120 cheaper as a dealer fit option for some inexplicable reason.

·
Registered
91 Posts
FWIW My GTI may be up for sale soon [;)]

Spec is 55 reg (feb06) MY06 3dr

Diamond met Black

DSG

Rear park

RCD300 (with 6CD in armrest)

Midline comp (d'oh)

Monza II's

Grey Leather with heated front seats

Serviced 2.5k ago Mich PS2's allround 4 weeks ago

But here's the biggie it has 17500 miles on it I am the second owner and its M'way mile's (into London everyday)

I could be persuaded to let it go at a reasonable price

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Out of interest how much is the 330D worth?? PM me if you like

Chris
I'm not entirely sure to be honest Chris - I do know that BMW's markup is obscene, so I know I won't get anywhere near the price that they're advertised on the forecourt for, but I'd hope to get something mid-teens for it because it's a very high spec.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts