Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright chaps,

I'm looking at getting my mkiv TDi 150 remapped, and have a couple of questions before I take the plunge;

1) Is it worth getting a new clutch before I do? I've heard the oem clutch can have some problems after a remap, with the extra torque and whatnot. I'd rather get it done than run the risk of something breaking. If this is the case, what sort of thing would be recommended?

2) Recommendations for places to get it done. I live in the South West (near Exeter). I'm looking at Evolution Chips (http://www.evolutionchipssouthwest.com/index.html), as they have people close by. Anyone have any input on this, or dealings with these guys, be it good, bad or ugly? Or any recommendations of someone close by that can do a good job?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi mate you could have the clutch done before but if it was me i leave it until it starts to slip, i have had mine and my OH's mk5's remapped, on mine it went from 105 to 140 and ive done 10,000 miles sence the remap

as for somewhere to do it, i had mine done in Bromsgrove at Viezu and Mark spoke with me at lenght about what sort of power/eco i was looking for,it went on the Rollers before and after, i then had my OH's done about a month ago at CC tuning in burton on trent, Chris took that to 135, not as harsh as mine but as she use's it for work there was no need for it to be an animal, i would highly recommend both companys, altho a bit of a drive away they were both spot on

heres a vid of mine (mine the first one on)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes leave it untill the OEM clutch starts slipping as a good clucth isn't cheap. I have a sachs organic clutch and it's been totally reliable for the last 50k miles with 380ftlbs

·
You ain't seen me, right?
3,778 Posts
i was the same before my remap, and chose to have it done before, I went and had the sachs uprated clutch by JBS in Chestefield ( near me) can fault the clutch, doesnt have a too heavy feel to it.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
The only trouble leaving your clutch before the remap is that your clutch could actually start slipping whilst its being remapped ....... i dont think that would give a good remap at all.

Saying that ..... if i was you i would get the remap done first and see how it is, your clutch may last a good while (i got 10k miles extra on my oem clutch/DMF this way).

I remapped my pd150 when it was on 112k miles, my clutch started slipping within 10k miles, my DMF was damaged before 10k too.

I have a helix clutch with organic plate + SMF now.

The helix clutch is very good, feels pretty much oem after a hr or so driving. It has a slight sharper bite and rated to take around 450 ft-lb ..... highlly reccomended (even though im still bedding it in).

The SMF i would only reccomend if you plan for more than just a remap. Mine is very noisey at idle with the clutch out in neutral ....i dont care but for some people i can imagine it would be horrific (a mate fitted SMF to his and changed back to DMF due to noise), some say the noise calms down after within 1k miles.

An uprated clutch and new DMF is a wise choice if you just plan to remap and dont drive too hard everywhere. Remember though even new DMF's can be destroyed easy by an aggressivelly driven remapped pd150.

Or you can deal with the noise, fit a SMF and have peice of mind knowing you cant break that weak dodgy DMF.

Jay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts