Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having very recently migrated from a petrol to a Tdi I want to know if there are any differences I need to remember when driving a diesel.

I allways remember one person telling me never to run out of fuel in a diesel...as it Frecks it?

Also some people have told me to add some stuff into the fuel when i fill her up...is this true?

Assuming this is true what else do you do a little differently in a diesel....shout out guys!

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Lessen your visits to filling stations. When you do go, put diesel in instead of petrol!!

Wouldnt let any car run out of fuel as I have visions of it sucking a load of gunk from the bottom of the tank into the engine.

Some folk have shots of diesel treatment during fill ups but its not essential i dont think, just personal preference on whether or not it keeps everything cleaner and well lubricated.

Maximum power comes earlier in the rev range due to the torque, and red lining like in petrol engines is unnecessary and unproductive. You will get used to flicking up the gears earlier than petrol engines.

Become obsessed with the awesome MPG for a while but dont let it rule your life!!!

Oh, and after a while, wonder why you didnt convert earlier!!!

The dark side, its class.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Less visits to the garage to get fuel[:D]

run flat out (almost[:D]) everywhere whilst still getting about 50mpg

enjoy the torque[:D][:D]

confuse the neighbours make them think there is a taxi outside.[:(]

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Quote: posted by Diesel on 05/10/2004 20:20:04

Wouldnt let any car run out of fuel as I have visions of it sucking a load of gunk from the bottom of the tank into the engine.

So untrue!! just a myth [:D] what it will do tho is draw loads of air into the system and be a SOB to restart!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Who's run out then?? Lad at work did, dealer ended up with the car, didn't take them long to rebleed the system but it weren't happy for afew days after.

Unlike petrol you've got to find the torque band and stay in it, great fun if you get it right but you do need all the gears!

I like overtaking other cars and leaving big black clouds! Great at night when you can see the cloud envelope the car behind and their headlights fade!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I tell you what you can't do with a diesel and that is heel/toe.

I realy miss being able blip the throttle on down changes when driving fast. Its a pain to have to let out the clutch gently or get off the brakes, just to blip the throttle and then its too slow.

I guess its why they don't have diesels in F1. :eek:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
The fact that it is a diesel does not stop you heeling and toeing its the fact that TDI Golf/Boras are fly by wire so the brake cuts the power as well as applying the brakes this also happens on a lot of petrol cars with fly by wire systems

·
Registered
223 Posts
When in slow moving traffic,keep it in first and take your feet off the pedals - she'll keep moving along! [:D] Torque don't you just love it?

Oh and welcome to the dark side [:)]

·
Registered
794 Posts
getting the ASR to flash on in 3rd.....TORQUE!!!

Or on the motorway drop to 50mph still in 6th and pull to any speed you fancy

still from 50 in 6th..TORQUE!!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Visiting the pumps once a week instead of every few days..[^]

Cruising at 70, dropping to 4th & blasting off to a 100 in a few seconds...[:D]

Waking the whole street at 7am on a sunday..lol[:D]

Whats Not fun is filling up with BP Ultimate Super UL[:(!]

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote: posted by NETDI on 06/10/2004 08:18:09

When in slow moving traffic,keep it in first and take your feet off the pedals - she'll keep moving along!

Any Golf or Bora will do that, whether petrol or diesel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Get on the motorway,drop into 6th gear,set the cruise at 80mph (on the continent,of course!),which would be about 2400rpm and still enjoy mid 50s mpg !

If you find yourself inflating your tyres to 40 psi and above,you are getting obsessed with mpg's !!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by NikB on 06/10/2004 08:33:21

I love blasting up a steep hill, that's when you can really feel the torque doing it's thing.

Ditto. Loverly.

You might also find when turning into another road, 3rd and not 2nd is as low as you need go...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts