Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a bit of advice.

I have a lot of wear and tear scratches on my bonnet. Being black they show up very easily...they're not deep but they are there and looks almost as if I did them using a sponge or something.

Now I always notice on these threads that people like Squeaky say you are just hiding the marks using x or y so what would actually give me a nice clean looking bonnet with metallic flakes sparkling and nothing else?

I had Swissol paint cleanser (would this be enough) but a plank I lent it to reversed over the bottle so before I ask John for another one, just seeing if there's something I can use instead of the cleanse but that will take out marks.

Would a professional polish be what I could need? I could get myself a discount if that were the case.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Irish: It all depends on how deep these scratches are.......IMO id use megs #83 DACP OR poss #9 or maybe scratch x, then go with you're normal gear......If you do use these then apply with a terry towel applicator pad....unless you habe a pc.......IMO a paint cleanser will not have enough to actually remove the defect.....

Are they swirl's of straight scratches???????

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry!

They are a mix of both tbh, some swirls from normal everyday whatever and then there are lines and marks. The car from when I got it new left a lot to be desired actually, the PDI job was dreadful, there were marks from like as if something rough was used to take that white coating that comes on the panels off and the bonnet is the most obvious place.

The Swissol cleanse did take a lot of the marks out and left a smooth finish but I think some of it needs something stronger.

I have a mate who runs a valet company so I could use him but I've no problem tackling a valet myself and would get more satisfaction out of sorting the job myself.

That Meguirs stuff that you spoke about, that is a compound of some sort or something is it? Just want my paint to look good. She has the remap now and soon the CHs so I want it to look as good as it goes!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Here is the info from the Meguiars site.

Scratch X

Eliminate fine scratches and swirl marks with ease. This advanced formulation removes scratches and swirl marks while enhancing the paint colour. This product should not be confused with the many aggressive ?cutting compounds? available on the UK market. More gentle than other formulations, it won?t leave behind more scratches than it takes out, making it ideal for quick touch-ups or reviving a car?s entire paintwork, even on today?s softer clearcoat finishes.

207ml - ?8.99

I've got Scratch-X and it is pretty gentle and it may or may not completely take away the marks you speak of. It should though improve them enough so they are not visible under most surfaces.

Best to work a little at a time and be nice and gentle. Do ask sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeky [:p] says and use something really soft like a terry applicator/tower or a good new very soft microfibre cloth.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
You could also try poorboys SSr2 which is a medium compound... try a few applications of that and you should see results mate.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Irish: #83 DACP Is not a compound as such, but it does contain diminishing abrashive's, which break down with heat to remove defects without marring the finish(in other words pretty user friendly). TBH id try #9 first,as its allways the procedure to use the least agresive product first.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trying to find a site for Meguires (sp?) or is it Meguiars or Maguirs? Bloody well can't spell!

Will have a look at SSR2 also just to compare.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/sp/products/polish_wax.php

Down the page at the bottom.

There are 3 grades

SSR1 being the finest, SSR2 medium and SSR3 being the most abrasive.

I am sure if all 3 of these were obtaines and used in sequence the results would be amazing. However it would be a lot of work by hand! Which is why many will go for SSR2 on its own and keep applying it until the scratch is out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i can second the ssr2 my passat had loads of deep car wash scratches in it but after using this a couple of time they have all most dissapeared !!!

sorry to hijack the thread a miniute irish !!!

OXFORD have you ever used p21-s wax at all as imthinking of getting somee to replace my gold class???

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Wow, that really is impressive. Thats it, I am giving my car 2 helping of SSr2 at the weekend! [:)] - I still have scratches as I have not fully used SSr2 on mine yet, but you can hardly see them as they are disgued with the amount of wax I have on my car! lol

I tested P21s on my car against the clearkote hand glaze and cab wax, however I found the clearkote gave me a "wetter" look finish and the P21s was more glass like? - I prefered the "hot liquid tar" look of the clearkote so went with that instead. They both are VERY good products and your results will be great with either and it will help protect the shine.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dropped into my mate who owns the valet company today and he has me booked in for Sat morning and it's getting a full machine polish so hopefully that will get the base sorted and I can keep it like that with some of the above.

Will probably get the stuff oxford suggested I think.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I think that sounds like the best plan Irish.

Let me know how the electric polishing goes, I am interested to hear!. Good luck chap.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
P21S is brilliant stuff. Really easy to apply, buff off as long as you don't let it dry too much. I last did mine with it 8 weeks ago and it is still beading water and looking good. This is probably about the max it would last though.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I'll still use the Swissol shield for my waxing but I would get the Poorboys to keep the swirls and scratches away.

John Wintle is giving me something to try from Swissol too so I will give that a go and let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
280 Posts
p21s is good stuff,better than megs gold class and gives a very deep shine but you will need to use a paint cleaner first such clearkote moosewax hand glaze.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts