Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you detailing guys will understand my anger. You spend hours washing, waxing and detailing because you want your pride and joy to look perfect.

So imagine my horror when I'm sat in a small car park in the middle of Leicester, waiting for the missus, when a big Vectra reverses into the spot next to me. I'm thinking 'that looks a little close' but he squeezes in and I breathe a sigh of relief.

A few minutes later I hear a thud and the car shakes. The passenger has swung the door open right into my passenger door.

My window was already open to let some air in (was a prticularly hot day yesterday) and the woman looks in and says 'Ooops sorry'

Man, I was fuming. But I didnt want to jump out the car and start effin and jeffin as, after all it would probably just be a small chip which would be more hassle than its worth claiming for.

The result?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm gutted.

What is the best way to hide this defect? A spot of touch-up?

Is it easy to replace those plastic door protector strips?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I'd class that as an accident and would have taken details. Why should you have to pay for that repairing just because some doris has no respect for other peoples belongings or can't judge distance...

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Well done for keeping your cool I think I would of taken a different aproach [:mad:]
I would of defo wanted some money to fix it.

WHY cant people take car of where there doors are going, ahh it pees me off so much! But I end up parking as far away as I can and people still park right next to you even if theres 30 free spaces!!! [:mad:]

If you use a primer touch up stick then the colour and laquer it should sort it out or yeah you could replace it I think there cliped on.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd class that as an accident and would have taken details. Why should you have to pay for that repairing just because some doris has no respect for other peoples belongings or can't judge distance...
totally agree with the above, she was lucky it wasn't me or she would have needed her face fixing!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did actually get the reg, car type and colour.

So what would you guys have done?

And yes, whenever possibe, I do park at the back of a car park but as you mentioned - they park next to you anyway! (buggers!)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I keep a cheap digital camera handy in the car (much more detailed pix than a ca,era phone) and always take photos when something like this happens. One picture of the other car with the offender beside it, and another of the damage. It won't mend the damage, but might make them think next time.

Your damage is particularly bad and I would certainly have demanded their insurance details, The pictures won't be valid in a court of law, but they should be sufficient to convince the insurance co. Without the pictures it's just their word against yours.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Sorry to see this mate, but that is exactly why I won't waste money getting my rub strips colour coded. I've had a few occasions where women (not being anti-women here OK, I love women, it's just that every time this has happened it's been a woman) in their MPVs or whatever have opened their doors into my car when I've been watching - one of my usual tactics, if I spot someone from a distance about to open their door next to my car, is to remotely unlock my car, so the blinkers warn them that the owner is within line of sight. The last time this happened, the woman let her door very slowly open into mine, there was no damage and she just sulked and said, "Sorry..." Damn right, if you don't care about your pile of junk (but sometimes it's the people with really expensive cars who don't care at all!) that's OK with me but don't go damaging my car please.

I feel there's no point going off on one, just politely say, "Excuse me do you mind, that's my car" or "Can you be a bit more careful please" usually totally stuns them.

I also can't understand why, when you deliberately park as far away as possible, someone in a rust bucket will park right next to you even though there are loads of other spaces free. Totally don't get it [:S]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can you claim on the other driver's insurance for this kind've thing?

I wouldn't have thought the insurance policy would cover "damage caused to other vehicles by brainless passenger".

I think in this situation you just have to swear at then, and threaten them with criminal damage proceedings until they cough up some cash.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Sorry to hear and see the bad news.

However, claiming will get you absolutely no where apart from people laughing at you at the insurers.

Best to just touch it up really, thats all you can do. We all get them. However, that must have been some major door opening she did there.

·
Registered
200 Posts

However, claiming will get you absolutely no where apart from people laughing at you at the insurers.

Best to just touch it up really, thats all you can do. We all get them. However, that must have been some major door opening she did there.
why would you say that, i would defo claim, then maybe they would think twice the next time...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thats unlucky buddy, I know just how it feels.

When I had the Mitsubishi GTO I came out from Halfords to find the numpty next to me with his door touching my rear wing, and to add insult to injury he was actually leaning on it whilst speaking to his wife.

I *politely* told him that he was damaging my car, and he was very apologetic, however his wife decided to start shouting out me, calling me a vain "individual" for caring about my car so much. He then actaully told his wife to shut up, as he was in the wrong (I think she was sticking her nose in, without understanding my complaint). The man then offered to pay for some T-cut to remove the mark, and he gave me a crisp ?5, which I glady accepted.

All I would suggest in situations like these, is at least get them to buy you some t-cut or touch up paint...to be fair, something like this shouldnt cost you!!! This is providing that the damage is superficial.

Its a sad fact that "car park dings" are a fact of life. [:'(]

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

why would you say that, i would defo claim, then maybe they would think twice the next time...
that would in theory mean that you should declare the claim (like an accident) when your ins is renewed even thought its a non fault accident. which in turn could increse your ins premium

an equally anoying one like this happened to me - i saw it happen a few days ago. nice sunny day, bit of a breeze, im walking over to my car and i hear a big thud - and a BL**DY pine cone fell bang in the middel of my bonnet and dented it arghhhhhhhh. not a major dent tbh but bloody annoying - funny in a way how it was a stupid little insignificant pine cone arghhhhhh [:cool:]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I remeber someone doing this to my Brand New 306 gti6 on a cross channel ferry...

I shouted Oi mate youve dented my car

he said its only a little dent

I said its a brand new Flipping car, that has just cost me ?15 000

he said well you must be stupid spending that much on a car...

if he wasnt on a walking stick Id have knocked him out

·
Registered
6,881 Posts

Because, although I know how annoying car park dings are, and I too (when I had a nice car!) got really upset by them, it is part of owning a car. First off, you would have to pay the excess, secondly you would lose your no claims bonus.

If you claim against them, you will get no where, it's accidental damage in the eyes of the law (not dipply blond who can't see 2 inches past her nose).

Thirdly, this IS why they are called bump strips. That is their use, so it wouldn't be a succesful claim. At least there, where it is, you can replace the bump strip. Its best at the time to see if you can talk to the person who did it and see if they will hand over some cash.

But for that, not worth claiming at all. It's like claiming on your home insurance because you've ripped your wallpaper moving the sofa.

In reality, its harsh, and annoying, and upsetting, but it does happen.

To the original poster, I do feel for you! Honest! Just don't go down the insurance claim route! Also, at least its there and not in the door panel itself, because that would have left a nasty dent in the metal. [:(]

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your posts guys.

Looking back, I think I did the right thing by keeping quiet.

If I was in my home town, I might of asked for some money for some touch-up.

However, I knew I would have to leave the car there (limited parking places) when my girlfriend got back as were were about to go off together in Leicester. If I had got cash off them, there is a chance that they would have wanted to 'get their moneys worth' when they saw that I had left the car there unattended.

I just wished that everyone cared about their things as much as we do.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Its not that bad and as Graham said claiming for that would be rediculous and would cost you more in the long run.

However if i had a new mk5 like you i would be so angry if that happened. I've got so many scuffs and stuff on my doors that have clearly been done by idiots in car parks, nothing you can do though if your not in the car at the time.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
You should've took her details just to scare her!!

As your cars non metallic you could probably fix that pretty easily, build up the layers of paint, let itr dry for a few weeks then flat it down with 2500 wet n dry and polish it back up.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
That is soo annoying mate! but with the good advice, it should be sorted!

But yeah Shiu I don't get that either, park so far away and you get that warm feeling inside that noone will ding your car, you get back an one side theres a Jeep that has parked super close to you and the other side you have a rust bucket = look on face[:'(]

·
Registered
558 Posts
The fact that it was a nice car that was effected shouldn't matter. All things are relative.

I used to commute in a 5dr 1.4 Astra, saving the mileage on my Dubs. I removed the hub caps and ran on the black steelies for extra rat look. I was sat in it outside a Sainsbury's as my Mrs ran in to grab something or other when a large Merc pulled up with a middleaged couple in it. The female passenger opened her door and, as expected, caused a big chip in the grubby paintwork. My initial reaction was to shout "oi!!" as I got out of the car. The woman quickly scuttled off apologising under her breath as her husband came round to lecture me about "talking to his wife like that". Why should I respect someone that has no respect for other people's property?!? This cut his arguement short.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts